Bytecodes in Nautilus

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Didn't there used to be a button?
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Bytecodes in Nautilus

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Hmm... I found it in the method pane's context menu. What is the rationale for the change?
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Bytecodes in Nautilus

Marcus Denker-4

> On 01 Apr 2015, at 17:06, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hmm... I found it in the method pane's context menu. What is the rationale
> for the change?

That it is a feature only used by compiler writers or in very special circumstances
where knowing a shortcut should be fine.

Keep in mind that everything in the UI on the first level you have to explain to a learner
*and* there has to be a use case why having it is important.

        Marcus

Re: Bytecodes in Nautilus

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
> Keep in mind that everything in the UI on the first level you have to explain to a learner
> *and* there has to be a use case why having it is important.
Very good reason! Thanks for the explanation :)
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Bytecodes in Nautilus

stepharo
+ 1000000000

Le 1/4/15 17:26, Marcus Denker a écrit :

>> On 01 Apr 2015, at 17:06, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hmm... I found it in the method pane's context menu. What is the rationale
>> for the change?
>>
> That it is a feature only used by compiler writers or in very special circumstances
> where knowing a shortcut should be fine.
>
> Keep in mind that everything in the UI on the first level you have to explain to a learner
> *and* there has to be a use case why having it is important.
>
> Marcus

Re: Bytecodes in Nautilus

jfabry

> On Apr 1, 2015, at 12:26, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 01 Apr 2015, at 17:06, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hmm... I found it in the method pane's context menu. What is the rationale
>> for the change?
>>

> That it is a feature only used by compiler writers or in very special circumstances
> where knowing a shortcut should be fine.
>
> Keep in mind that everything in the UI on the first level you have to explain to a learner
> *and* there has to be a use case why having it is important.

Yes, a big +1 on removing it.

---> Save our in-boxes! http://emailcharter.org <---

Johan Fabry   -   http://pleiad.cl/~jfabry
PLEIAD lab  -  Computer Science Department (DCC)  -  University of Chile

Re: Bytecodes in Nautilus

Clément Béra
Seemingly, UI-wise, it was not good to have a button for the bytecode.

As I use it al the time, I reintroduced it in the menu and you can use the shortcut Cmd+b+b, which reportedly was better.

In other IDE tools that nautilus you can't see anymore the bytecodes though.

Hmm... I found it in the method pane's context menu. What is the rationale
for the change?

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Bytecodes in Nautilus

Marcus Denker-4

On 01 Apr 2015, at 19:24, Clément Bera <[hidden email]> wrote:

Seemingly, UI-wise, it was not good to have a button for the bytecode.

As I use it al the time, I reintroduced it in the menu and you can use the shortcut Cmd+b+b, which reportedly was better.

Yes, removing it from the menu was not a good idea...

In other IDE tools that nautilus you can't see anymore the bytecodes though.

Yes, we need to streamline all the tools: We need these things to have *one* definition: adding it once should add
it to all tools.

Hmm... I found it in the method pane's context menu. What is the rationale
for the change?

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Bytecodes in Nautilus

stepharo

In other IDE tools that nautilus you can't see anymore the bytecodes though.

Yes, we need to streamline all the tools: We need these things to have *one* definition: adding it once should add
it to all tools.

not necessarily. It should be possible to customise.