CHB go-search

Chris Uppal-3
Does anyone else find it a nuisance that the go-search bar in a CHB (or
similar) displays all the methods as well as classnames ?

E.g. I type
    Scroll
into it, then I see ScrollBar loads of ScrollBar's methods, rather than having
ScrollingDecorator (which is what I was really looking for, although I'd
forgotten its full name) immediately come into view.

Will raise this as an ER if anyone else agrees.

    -- chris

Re: CHB go-search

Andy Bower-3
Chris,

> Does anyone else find it a nuisance that the go-search bar in a CHB
> (or similar) displays all the methods as well as classnames ?
>
> E.g. I type
>     Scroll
> into it, then I see ScrollBar loads of ScrollBar's methods, rather
> than having ScrollingDecorator (which is what I was really looking
> for, although I'd forgotten its full name) immediately come into view.
>
> Will raise this as an ER if anyone else agrees.

The original idea being the go-search was for it to be able to find
objects other than just classes. We wanted it to be a bit like the song
search in ITunes if you know that and ideally, it would also do a free
text search at the same time but this would be rather tricky and
require indices to be built etc etc.

I understand the problem. I suggested at one point that we reorder the
autocompletion list so that all classes were grouped together, followed
by methods. This would allow classes to be found quickly and even a
partial autocompletion to get the classname in there before carrying on
and typing the rest of a method name if required.

The problem with this is that Scintill apparently has retrictions on
the contents of the autocompletion drop-down. I believe that the
contents must be alphabetically sorted otherwise it gets confused.

In the end I'd rather keep the search as it is than revert back to a
simple class search. I suppose Class/Find could be restored as a
separate function if people are that desparate.

--
Andy Bower
Dolphin Support

Re: CHB go-search

Chris Uppal-3
Andy,

> The original idea being the go-search was for it to be able to find
> objects other than just classes. We wanted it to be a bit like the song
> search in ITunes if you know that [...]

Nope.  I prefer good old tradional CDs.  I've only ever downloaded one song
(from anywhere) in my life and have no plans ever to do so again ;-)

> In the end I'd rather keep the search as it is than revert back to a
> simple class search. I suppose Class/Find could be restored as a
> separate function if people are that desparate.

Perhaps later (not this release) shift/control/F could (optionally) be bound to
a generic find dialog which allowed one to specifiy whether one was looking for
a class, method, resource, ... with or without regexps, with or without
case-sensitivity.  That would subsume the current browse method dialog(s).
Doing shift/control/F in a "classy" context would bring up the dialog
pre-configured to look for classes, doing it in a "methody" context would
pre-configure it for methods, and so on...

In the meantime, if there's no clamour to restore Class/Find, then I'll
probably end up re-adding it myself -- it's not difficult.

    -- chris