CK metrics from Moose? (was Re: Publications of projects using Moose?)

CK metrics from Moose? (was Re: Publications of projects using Moose?)

Fuhrmanator
Hello!

I'm wondering if it's in the scope of Moose to get to the standard CK metrics for a model? It seems it's been done experimentally (https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/0eb2/14ec7c6288dc13564580beafc2609b09118b.pdf) and I also found the momfe paper from 2002 (http://scg.unibe.ch/archive/projects/Bute02a.pdf) but appeared not to have all the CK metrics.

I also found the right-click on a Moose Model -> Export -> Export model to MSE, but there was nothing that looked like standard CK metrics in the exported file.

We are particularly trying to generate CBO (for a research comparison) for a few classes and would like to be able to do all our work in Moose if possible (especially with the visualizations in a RTView).

Cheers,

C. Fuhrman

On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 11:58 AM, Hernán Morales Durand <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi guys,

Do you have good reference links to publications (yours or from other people) which uses Moose metrics for example in a "Material and Methods" section?

I mean *not* Moose projects publications (projects derived from Moose), but those projects which uses Moose analysis to report Cyclomatic Complexity, Halstead Length, WMC, DIT, CBO, etc . I want to see what and how people reports metrics for a software project using Moose. If publication is in a Journal outside of the field of Software Engineering field that would be better.

Cheers,

Hernán

Re: CK metrics from Moose? (was Re: Publications of projects using Moose?)

abergel
Hi Cris,

Indeed, CK Metrics should be one-click away from a Moose Model.
I have just implemented many of the CK metrics in the latest version of Moose (I updated Famix-Extensions in fact).

Is this what you had in Mind?

Cheers,
Alexandre

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: CK metrics from Moose? (was Re: Publications of projects using Moose?)

Fuhrmanator
Hi Alexandre,

The CK Metric I am looking for is CBO (Coupling Between Object Classes) for a class. The entire CK metrics suite was proposed in 1994 and several measures are controversial in OO software (read more here: http://www.virtualmachinery.com/sidebar3.htm). So, thinking about my first request for "CK metrics", it might be hard to decide how to implement all of these for a general case that is FAMIX.

Looking more into what's in MOOSE, I see that CBO for a class can be estimated as CBO <= fanIn + fanOut. The "true" CK CBO value should not count an afferent and efferent link twice if it is to/from the same class (it's why I use <= in the estimation). See more at http://stackoverflow.com/a/29877357/1168342 -- I think CBO defined this way would be easy to calculate for a FAMIX class, but I didn't look at fanIn and fanOut yet to see when/how/where they're calculated.

I'm not sure how many people would want to see CBO in MOOSE. We're doing studies involving fault/change proneness, and CBO has been used as a measure quite often in published research in that area. It's why it would be useful to us.

Cheers,

C. Fuhrman

On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 2:04 PM, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Blondeau Vincent
Hi Cris,

You should look at the implementation of Andre Hora of some various metrics here: http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~andrehora/SoftEngMetrics/

It was working on Moose5.0, so it is possible that there is some adaptations to make for the latest version of Moose.

Cheers,

Vincent
De : Moose-dev [[hidden email]] de la part de Cris Fuhrman [[hidden email]]
Date d'envoi : lundi 20 février 2017 21:30
À : Moose-related development
Objet : [Moose-dev] Re: CK metrics from Moose? (was Re: Publications of projects using Moose?)

On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 2:04 PM, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
Hi Cris,

Indeed, CK Metrics should be one-click away from a Moose Model.
I have just implemented many of the CK metrics in the latest version of Moose (I updated Famix-Extensions in fact).

[cid:[hidden email]]

Is this what you had in Mind?

Cheers,
Alexandre

On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 11:58 AM, Hernán Morales Durand <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
Hi guys,

Do you have good reference links to publications (yours or from other people) which uses Moose metrics for example in a "Material and Methods" section?

I mean *not* Moose projects publications (projects derived from Moose), but those projects which uses Moose analysis to report Cyclomatic Complexity, Halstead Length, WMC, DIT, CBO, etc . I want to see what and how people reports metrics for a software project using Moose. If publication is in a Journal outside of the field of Software Engineering field that would be better.

Cheers,

Hernán

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

!!!*************************************************************************************
"Ce message et les pièces jointes sont confidentiels et réservés à l'usage exclusif de ses destinataires. Il peut également être protégé par le secret professionnel. Si vous recevez ce message par erreur, merci d'en avertir immédiatement l'expéditeur et de le détruire. L'intégrité du message ne pouvant être assurée sur Internet, la responsabilité de Worldline ne pourra être recherchée quant au contenu de ce message. Bien que les meilleurs efforts soient faits pour maintenir cette transmission exempte de tout virus, l'expéditeur ne donne aucune garantie à cet égard et sa responsabilité ne saurait être recherchée pour tout dommage résultant d'un virus transmis.

This e-mail and the documents attached are confidential and intended solely for the addressee; it may also be privileged. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy it. As its integrity cannot be secured on the Internet, the Worldline liability cannot be triggered for the message content. Although the sender endeavours to maintain a computer virus-free network, the sender does not warrant that this transmission is virus-free and will not be liable for any damages resulting from any virus transmitted.!!!"

Re: CK metrics from Moose? (was Re: Publications of projects using Moose?)

abergel
Cris, let us know how it goes

Alexandre

> [...]
>
> This e-mail and the documents attached are confidential and intended solely for the addressee; it may also be privileged. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy it. As its integrity cannot be secured on the Internet, the Worldline liability cannot be triggered for the message content. Although the sender endeavours to maintain a computer virus-free network, the sender does not warrant that this transmission is virus-free and will not be liable for any damages resulting from any virus transmitted.!!!"

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: CK metrics from Moose? (was Re: Publications of projects using Moose?)

OK, I was able to display in a visualization (RTLabel) the couplingBetweenClasses metric for the FAMIX class.
  • This link got me started with using Monticello: http://pharo.gemtalksystems.com/book/PharoTools/Monticello/ (there's a PDF chapter that has the details).
  • I added the repository with the "+Repository" button and the Monticello registration info from the smalltalk hub site.
  • I loaded all the packages (!) and some were automatically changed on recompilation.
    • Is there a way to do this with less clicking? I selected each repository package in Monticello, clicked the latest version, then clicked the Load button.
  • I used the System Browser to navigate to the package and see the added methods (some exploratory clicking got me there...):
    Inline image 1
As for the CBO (couplingBetweenClasses) metric, it seems way off (at least with my comparisons with fanIn and fanOut, but I didn't verify their values either!). I will follow up here if I nail down the inconsistency.

These packages are a useful place to start. Thanks again for the help,

C. Fuhrman

On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 1:39 PM, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Cris, let us know how it goes

Alexandre

Re: CK metrics from Moose? (was Re: Publications of projects using Moose?)

abergel
You need to define a configuration.
For for Metacello. The Versioner tool offers a nice UI for this.

Alexandre

> On Feb 21, 2017, at 5:52 PM, Cris Fuhrman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> • I loaded all the packages (!) and some were automatically changed on recompilation.
> • Is there a way to do this with less clicking? I selected each repository package in Monticello, clicked the latest version, then clicked the Load button.

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: CK metrics from Moose? (was Re: Publications of projects using Moose?)

Blondeau Vincent
Hi,

There was a configuration, I had created it.
You can load it by executing:

Metacello new
        smalltalkhubUser: 'andrehora' project: 'SoftEngMetrics';
        configuration: 'SoftEngMetrics';
        version: #development;
        load.

It should be easier like that.
If you load the packages by hand, you have to be sure that their dependencies are satisfied. Else, some packages may be not fully loaded.

And, as said by Alex, for your current project,  you can use Versionner to package it and to define its dependencies (especially to SoftEngMetrics ;) ).

Cheers,
Vincent

!!!*************************************************************************************
[...]

The Metacello config works perfectly (after I unloaded the manually loaded config).

The CBO values still look odd for my Moose 6 models of ArgoUML (::util package) compared to fanIn/fanOut, but I might be missing something.

When I expanded my use to all of ArgoUML, the couplingBetweenClasses message crashes on one class with an undefined object inside of MooseObjectQueryResult >> withoutSelfLoops. This might because of Moose 6 changes, as Vincent mentioned earlier. I'll maybe debug if I have more time later. I will see if I can find a student that wants to work on improving the CK suite (the basic tests are are there).

Thanks again for all the help!

C. Fuhrman

On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 10:11 AM, Blondeau Vincent <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

There was a configuration, I had created it.
You can load it by executing:

Metacello new
        smalltalkhubUser: 'andrehora' project: 'SoftEngMetrics';
        configuration: 'SoftEngMetrics';
        version: #development;
        load.

It should be easier like that.
If you load the packages by hand, you have to be sure that their dependencies are satisfied. Else, some packages may be not fully loaded.

And, as said by Alex, for your current project,  you can use Versionner to package it and to define its dependencies (especially to SoftEngMetrics ;) ).

Cheers,
Vincent

I tried to use the SoftEngMetrics project, and many tests are red. I had a brief look, it seems that Moose has evolved but that project not.

I was not aware at all of this project. What about having a kind of plugin mechanism for Moose? I have one for Roassal where external contribution may be loaded with just one click.
Just an idea.

Cheers,
Alexandre

> On Feb 22, 2017, at 12:11 PM, Blondeau Vincent <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> There was a configuration, I had created it.
> You can load it by executing:
>
> Metacello new
>        smalltalkhubUser: 'andrehora' project: 'SoftEngMetrics';
>        configuration: 'SoftEngMetrics';
>        version: #development;
>        load.
>
> It should be easier like that.
> If you load the packages by hand, you have to be sure that their dependencies are satisfied. Else, some packages may be not fully loaded.
>
> And, as said by Alex, for your current project,  you can use Versionner to package it and to define its dependencies (especially to SoftEngMetrics ;) ).
>
> Cheers,
> Vincent

So, some work is needed for the migration..

@Alex: there is no plugin mechanism in Moose and settle one up can be complex: each library has its own dependencies to eventual external projects. They are rarely in a standalone mode.
I think the best thing that we can do is to register this kind of Moose projects in the catalog with a Moose tag: http://catalog.pharo.org/catalog/tags/moose.

Cheers,
Vincent

"Ce message et les pièces jointes sont confidentiels et réservés à l'usage exclusif de ses destinataires. Il peut également être protégé par le secret professionnel. Si vous recevez ce message par erreur, merci d'en avertir immédiatement l'expéditeur et de le détruire. L'intégrité du message ne pouvant être assurée sur Internet, la responsabilité de Worldline ne pourra être recherchée quant au contenu de ce message. Bien que les meilleurs efforts soient faits pour maintenir cette transmission exempte de tout virus, l'expéditeur ne donne aucune garantie à cet égard et sa responsabilité ne saurait être recherchée pour tout dommage résultant d'un virus transmis.

This e-mail and the documents attached are confidential and intended solely for the addressee; it may also be privileged. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy it. As its integrity cannot be secured on the Internet, the Worldline liability cannot be triggered for the message content. Although the sender endeavours to maintain a computer virus-free network, the sender does not warrant that this transmission is virus-free and will not be liable for any damages resulting from any virus transmitted.!!!"

Re: CK metrics from Moose? (was Re: Publications of projects using Moose?)

abergel
> @Alex: there is no plugin mechanism in Moose and settle one up can be complex: each library has its own dependencies to eventual external projects. They are rarely in a standalone mode.
> I think the best thing that we can do is to register this kind of Moose projects in the catalog with a Moose tag: http://catalog.pharo.org/catalog/tags/moose.

Could be…
But I rarely check on the catalog whether there are some new projects related to Moose. However, if there is a plugin menu, but knowing about new projects is easy.

Alexandre