CMD/CTRL-B for browsing?

Luc Fabresse
Hi Guys,

In Pharo 5, it seems that CMD/CTRL-B does not work for browsing in some places such as in GTDebugger right bottom pane.
Is this on purpose?

#Luc

Re: CMD/CTRL-B for browsing?

Marcus Denker-4

> On 01 Mar 2016, at 18:06, Luc Fabresse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Guys,
>
> In Pharo 5, it seems that CMD/CTRL-B does not work for browsing in some places such as in GTDebugger right bottom pane.
> Is this on purpose?

No, still a bug: in non-code mode Rubric does not add the shortcuts. We should fix that and allow these everywhere.

        Marcus

Re: CMD/CTRL-B for browsing?

Luc Fabresse

ok.

#Luc

> On 01 Mar 2016, at 18:06, Luc Fabresse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Guys,
>
> In Pharo 5, it seems that CMD/CTRL-B does not work for browsing in some places such as in GTDebugger right bottom pane.
> Is this on purpose?

No, still a bug: in non-code mode Rubric does not add the shortcuts. We should fix that and allow these everywhere.

        Marcus

Re: CMD/CTRL-B for browsing?

Marcus Denker-4

> On 01 Mar 2016, at 18:10, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 01 Mar 2016, at 18:06, Luc Fabresse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> In Pharo 5, it seems that CMD/CTRL-B does not work for browsing in some places such as in GTDebugger right bottom pane.
>> Is this on purpose?
>>

> No, still a bug: in non-code mode Rubric does not add the shortcuts. We should fix that and allow these everywhere.

I added an issue:

        https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/17731/Rubric-When-not-in-Code-Mode-the-editor-should-still-support-senders-of-and-implementors-of-short-cuts

(Issue tracker status:
        - Open overall: 512
        - Open tagged Pharo5: 319
        - Closed last 7 days: 100
)

Re: CMD/CTRL-B for browsing?

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

Could you describe in more details the specific case we have here?

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"Next time you see your life passing by, say 'hi' and get to know her."

Re: CMD/CTRL-B for browsing?

Marcus Denker-4

On 02 Mar 2016, at 13:28, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

Could you describe in more details the specific case we have here?

inspect

#(hello you)

then click on the first item. Now I select the 'hello' on the right and try to do "senders of" --> replace by "n".

[...]

Hmm.

I understand that what I will say is heresy, but this behavior is really not wanted :). At least by me.

Let me explain.

The reason why we use a different font for code is exactly to document where the code related behavior is expected. If we have code related shortcuts everywhere, two things happen:
- we impose code shortcuts everywhere, even in pieces of text that should have nothing to do with code.
- we either have them present in contextual menus, or we do not document their existence. Either situations are not nice.

I understand that this is how things worked for 20 years, but it is a limiting behavior that does not allow us to build new tools easily. I know that people use those text editors to enter some name and then press a shortcut to browse, but now we have Spotter that can do the same thing a little better.

Here is the alternative:
- whenever we have a selected piece of text, and we press Shift+Enter, we get that piece of text in Spotter filled by default
- then using the shortcuts, we can browse what we want

This is not yet implemented, but I think it can prove to become a new reflex that will solve the problems uniformly without imposing hardcoded shortcuts everywhere.

Please feel free to shoot :)

Cheers,
Doru

> On Mar 2, 2016, at 1:40 PM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 02 Mar 2016, at 13:28, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Could you describe in more details the specific case we have here?
>>

> inspect
>
> #(hello you)
>
> then click on the first item. Now I select the 'hello' on the right and try to do "senders of" --> replace by "n".
>

>> Cheers,
>> Doru

>>> I added an issue:
>>>
>>> https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/17731/Rubric-When-not-in-Code-Mode-the-editor-should-still-support-senders-of-and-implementors-of-short-cuts
>>>
>>> (Issue tracker status:
>>> - Open overall: 512
>>> - Open tagged Pharo5: 319
>>> - Closed last 7 days: 100
>>> )
>>
>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>> www.feenk.com
>>
>> "Next time you see your life passing by, say 'hi' and get to know her."

--
www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"Some battles are better lost than fought."

Re: CMD/CTRL-B for browsing?

jfabry

I am a co-heretic with Doru.

In domain-specific languages built on top of Pharo you are faced exactly with what Doru is saying. I see these issues in my work on Live Robot Programming (and stuff before that). The proposed change to Spotter would be a good solution to keep all browsing options.

> On Mar 2, 2016, at 10:40, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Hmm.
>
> I understand that what I will say is heresy, but this behavior is really not wanted :). At least by me.
>
> Let me explain.
>
> The reason why we use a different font for code is exactly to document where the code related behavior is expected. If we have code related shortcuts everywhere, two things happen:
> - we impose code shortcuts everywhere, even in pieces of text that should have nothing to do with code.
> - we either have them present in contextual menus, or we do not document their existence. Either situations are not nice.
>
> I understand that this is how things worked for 20 years, but it is a limiting behavior that does not allow us to build new tools easily. I know that people use those text editors to enter some name and then press a shortcut to browse, but now we have Spotter that can do the same thing a little better.
>
> Here is the alternative:
> - whenever we have a selected piece of text, and we press Shift+Enter, we get that piece of text in Spotter filled by default
> - then using the shortcuts, we can browse what we want
>
> This is not yet implemented, but I think it can prove to become a new reflex that will solve the problems uniformly without imposing hardcoded shortcuts everywhere.
>
> Please feel free to shoot :)
>
> Cheers,
> Doru

---> Save our in-boxes! http://emailcharter.org <---

Johan Fabry   -   http://pleiad.cl/~jfabry
PLEIAD and RyCh labs  -  Computer Science Department (DCC)  -  University of Chile

Re: CMD/CTRL-B for browsing?

Stephan Eggermont-3
The 'code' related behavior is currently too fixed to smalltalk code
only. I want to be able to edit Pillar, PostgreSQL, user stories etc.
Shortcuts for doIt, browse, senders, implementors etc. make sense for
these environments, but need a different implementation. And sometimes
I'm editing text where the code shortcuts do not make sense. When
inspecting a symbol, I expect code related shortcuts, because they are
commonly used in meta programming.

Stephan