[COTDC] 5 - PseudoFileStream

laurent laffont
Today: PseudoFileStream

Comment Of The Day Contest - One Day One Comment
Rules: Each day a not commented class is elected. Each day the best comment will be integrated with name of the author(s).
Laurent

Re: [COTDC] 5 - PseudoFileStream

Sven Van Caekenberghe
Laurent,

On 08 Feb 2011, at 17:39, laurent laffont wrote:

> Today: PseudoFileStream
>
> Comment Of The Day Contest - One Day One Comment
> Rules: Each day a not commented class is elected. Each day the best comment will be integrated with name of the author(s).
> Results: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/CommentOfTheDayContest
>
> Laurent

You are not just picking classes that have no class comment, you are picking classes where it is a challenge just to find out what they do and why they even exist at all ;-)

Are you sure you are doing this at random ??

Sven

Re: [COTDC] 5 - PseudoFileStream

Gary Chambers-4
Lol, this one is a fun one!

Regards, Gary

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 6:53 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
Laurent,

On 08 Feb 2011, at 17:39, laurent laffont wrote:

> Today: PseudoFileStream
>
> Comment Of The Day Contest - One Day One Comment
> Rules: Each day a not commented class is elected. Each day the best comment will be integrated with name of the author(s).
> Results: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/CommentOfTheDayContest
>
> Laurent

You are not just picking classes that have no class comment, you are picking classes where it is a challenge just to find out what they do and why they even exist at all ;-)

Are you sure you are doing this at random ??

I choose one class among 3/5 given at random. I want to play with you too ;)

Laurent

Sven

Re: [COTDC] 5 - PseudoFileStream

laurent laffont
Seriously, I cannot find what it is used for .......

Laurent.

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 8:30 PM, laurent laffont <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 6:53 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
Laurent,

On 08 Feb 2011, at 17:39, laurent laffont wrote:

> Today: PseudoFileStream
>
> Comment Of The Day Contest - One Day One Comment
> Rules: Each day a not commented class is elected. Each day the best comment will be integrated with name of the author(s).
> Results: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/CommentOfTheDayContest
>
> Laurent

You are not just picking classes that have no class comment, you are picking classes where it is a challenge just to find out what they do and why they even exist at all ;-)

Are you sure you are doing this at random ??

I choose one class among 3/5 given at random. I want to play with you too ;)

Laurent

Sven

Re: [COTDC] 5 - PseudoFileStream

EstebanLM
looks like something who ends at some eToys stuff... :(
I fear we are going to fail today...

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 9:31 PM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
looks like something who ends at some eToys stuff... :(
I fear we are going to fail today...

20 hours left ;)   Is MCConfigurationBrowser used actually ?   MCConfigurationBrowser open => empty window I have never seen.

Laurent

El 08/02/2011, a las 5:25p.m., laurent laffont escribió:

Seriously, I cannot find what it is used for .......

Laurent.

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 8:30 PM, laurent laffont <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 6:53 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
Laurent,

On 08 Feb 2011, at 17:39, laurent laffont wrote:

> Today: PseudoFileStream
>
> Comment Of The Day Contest - One Day One Comment
> Rules: Each day a not commented class is elected. Each day the best comment will be integrated with name of the author(s).
> Results: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/CommentOfTheDayContest
>
> Laurent

You are not just picking classes that have no class comment, you are picking classes where it is a challenge just to find out what they do and why they even exist at all ;-)

Are you sure you are doing this at random ??

I choose one class among 3/5 given at random. I want to play with you too ;)

Laurent

Sven

Re: [COTDC] 5 - PseudoFileStream

Adrian Lienhard

On Feb 8, 2011, at 21:35 , laurent laffont wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 9:31 PM, Esteban Lorenzano
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> looks like something who ends at some eToys stuff... :(
>> I fear we are going to fail today...
>>

> 20 hours left ;)   Is MCConfigurationBrowser used actually ?
> MCConfigurationBrowser open => empty window I have never seen.

Yes, we use MC configurations at netstyle.ch and Cmsbox. Today I would
probably use Metacello instead, which does the same, and some more.

Cheers,
Adrian

> Laurent
>

>> El 08/02/2011, a las 5:25p.m., laurent laffont escribió:
>>
>> Seriously, I cannot find what it is used for .......
>>
>> Laurent.
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 8:30 PM, laurent laffont <[hidden email]
>>> wrote:

>>> I choose one class among 3/5 given at random. I want to play with
>>> you too
>>> ;)
>>>

>>> Laurent

Re: [COTDC] 5 - PseudoFileStream

Guillermo Polito
I would like to put something like:

I'm a RWBinaryOtTextStream that acts like a FileStream, but my content is given to me when I'm created.  I think the only use I have (looking in a Full image) is in HTTPServerDirectory>>oldFileNamed:, and I really doubt if someone is using me, so I must be deprecated :D.

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 5:35 PM, laurent laffont <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 9:31 PM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
looks like something who ends at some eToys stuff... :(
I fear we are going to fail today...

20 hours left ;)   Is MCConfigurationBrowser used actually ?   MCConfigurationBrowser open => empty window I have never seen.

Laurent

El 08/02/2011, a las 5:25p.m., laurent laffont escribió:

Seriously, I cannot find what it is used for .......

Laurent.

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 8:30 PM, laurent laffont <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 6:53 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
Laurent,

On 08 Feb 2011, at 17:39, laurent laffont wrote:

> Today: PseudoFileStream
>
> Comment Of The Day Contest - One Day One Comment
> Rules: Each day a not commented class is elected. Each day the best comment will be integrated with name of the author(s).
> Results: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/CommentOfTheDayContest
>
> Laurent

You are not just picking classes that have no class comment, you are picking classes where it is a challenge just to find out what they do and why they even exist at all ;-)

Are you sure you are doing this at random ??

I choose one class among 3/5 given at random. I want to play with you too ;)

Laurent

Sven

Re: [COTDC] 5 - PseudoFileStream

Alain Plantec-3
Le 08/02/2011 21:25, laurent laffont a écrit :
> Seriously, I cannot find what it is used for .......

Maybe it's a rename of SwikiPseudoFileStream (which is in squeak 4.1)

Re: [COTDC] 5 - PseudoFileStream

PseudoFileStream ...
        may be we could remove it :)

Stef

On Feb 8, 2011, at 5:39 PM, laurent laffont wrote:

> Today: PseudoFileStream
>
> Comment Of The Day Contest - One Day One Comment
> Rules: Each day a not commented class is elected. Each day the best comment will be integrated with name of the author(s).
> Results: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/CommentOfTheDayContest
>
> Laurent

Re: [COTDC] 5 - PseudoFileStream

laurent laffont
Time to add

COTDC rule #2: If you can't comment it, remove it.

Indeed it's compatible with the goal: each day, one less not commented class !

Laurent

Le 08/02/2011 21:55, Alain Plantec a écrit :
> Le 08/02/2011 21:25, laurent laffont a écrit :
>> Seriously, I cannot find what it is used for .......
>
> Maybe it's a rename of SwikiPseudoFileStream (which is in squeak 4.1)
found http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=1470

Re: [COTDC] 5 - PseudoFileStream

Nicolas Cellier
I try to act as two different things:
- a file entry in a ServerDirectory
- a stream on the content of a file entry

I am a good example of inheritance pushed to absurd where composition
would be more powerfull and more simple to explain.
Any good soul willing to refactor me is welcome. (Warning, you'll have
to revisit the whole ServerDirectory and its subclasses).

Good luck

Nicolas

2011/2/8 laurent laffont <[hidden email]>:

> Time to add
> COTDC rule #2: If you can't comment it, remove it.
> Indeed it's compatible with the goal: each day, one less not commented class
> !
> Laurent
>
> On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 10:01 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> PseudoFileStream ...
>>        may be we could remove it :)
>>
>> Stef
>>

>> On Feb 8, 2011, at 5:39 PM, laurent laffont wrote:
>>
>> > Today: PseudoFileStream
>> >
>> > Comment Of The Day Contest - One Day One Comment
>> > Rules: Each day a not commented class is elected. Each day the best
>> > comment will be integrated with name of the author(s).
>> > Results: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/CommentOfTheDayContest
>> >
>> > Laurent

Re: [COTDC] 5 - PseudoFileStream

Stéphane Ducasse

On Feb 8, 2011, at 10:26 PM, Nicolas Cellier wrote:

> I try to act as two different things:
> - a file entry in a ServerDirectory
> - a stream on the content of a file entry
>
> I am a good example of inheritance pushed to absurd where composition
> would be more powerfull and more simple to explain.
> Any good soul willing to refactor me is welcome. (Warning, you'll have
> to revisit the whole ServerDirectory and its subclasses).

:)
I love this kind of comments because this is better than no comment and like that we just tell the truth :)

> Good luck
>
> Nicolas
>
> 2011/2/8 laurent laffont <[hidden email]>:
>> Time to add
>> COTDC rule #2: If you can't comment it, remove it.
>> Indeed it's compatible with the goal: each day, one less not commented class
>> !
>> Laurent
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 10:01 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> PseudoFileStream ...
>>>        may be we could remove it :)
>>>
>>> Stef

Re: [COTDC] 5 - PseudoFileStream

csrabak

 "If you can't comment and can't find references to it in {core,dev}? image, then remove it!"

Em 08/02/2011 19:11, laurent laffont < [hidden email] > escreveu:
Time to add

COTDC rule #2: If you can't comment it, remove it.

Indeed it's compatible with the goal: each day, one less not commented class !

Laurent

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 10:01 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

PseudoFileStream ...
 may be we could remove it :)

 Stef

 On Feb 8, 2011, at 5:39 PM, laurent laffont wrote:

 > Today: PseudoFileStream
 >
 > Comment Of The Day Contest - One Day One Comment
 > Rules: Each day a not commented class is elected. Each day the best comment will be integrated with name of the author(s).
 > Results: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/CommentOfTheDayContest
 >
 > Laurent

Re: [COTDC] 5 - PseudoFileStream

Guillermo Polito
Okok

Open issue to *deprecate* it :P.

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 8:06 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

 "If you can't comment and can't find references to it in {core,dev}? image, then remove it!"

Em 08/02/2011 19:11, laurent laffont < [hidden email] > escreveu:
Time to add

COTDC rule #2: If you can't comment it, remove it.

Indeed it's compatible with the goal: each day, one less not commented class !

Laurent

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 10:01 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

PseudoFileStream ...
 may be we could remove it :)

 Stef

 On Feb 8, 2011, at 5:39 PM, laurent laffont wrote:

 > Today: PseudoFileStream
 >
 > Comment Of The Day Contest - One Day One Comment
 > Rules: Each day a not commented class is elected. Each day the best comment will be integrated with name of the author(s).
 > Results: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/CommentOfTheDayContest
 >
 > Laurent

Re: [COTDC] 5 - PseudoFileStream

Nicolas Cellier
Whether used or not, anything under ReadWriteTextStream hierarchy
should be refactored then deprecated.
The name already tells : I could be a read stream a write stream, a
text stream, what else ?
I suggest to first rename it ReadWriteTextStreamWhatElse.
Then to provide a good comment:
This class was detected, selected, infected, neglected, deprecated
then rejected.

;)

cheers

2011/2/9 Guillermo Polito <[hidden email]>:

> Okok
> Open issue to *deprecate* it :P.
>
> On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 8:06 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>  "If you can't comment and can't find references to it in {core,dev}?
>> image, then remove it!"
>>

>> Em 08/02/2011 19:11, laurent laffont < [hidden email] >
>> escreveu:
>> Time to add
>>
>> COTDC rule #2: If you can't comment it, remove it.
>>
>> Indeed it's compatible with the goal: each day, one less not commented
>> class !
>>
>> Laurent
>>

>> On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 10:01 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> PseudoFileStream ...
>>  may be we could remove it :)
>>
>>  Stef
>>

>>  On Feb 8, 2011, at 5:39 PM, laurent laffont wrote:
>>
>>  > Today: PseudoFileStream
>>  >
>>  > Comment Of The Day Contest - One Day One Comment
>>  > Rules: Each day a not commented class is elected. Each day the best
>> comment will be integrated with name of the author(s).
>>  > Results: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/CommentOfTheDayContest
>>  >
>>  > Laurent
>>  >

Re: [COTDC] 5 - PseudoFileStream

Nicolas Cellier
Oh, sorry, the name is worse than I could remember: RWBinaryOrTextStream
What else ?

Nicolas