CPU utilisation

Phil
I'm new here so I'm sorry if this is something already covered. I spent a bit of time browsing the archive but didn't see anything obvious.

When Pharo is under load it doesn't appear to making use of all processor cores.

I'm using Pharo-1.1.1-- Latest update: #11414 with VM 4.2.1b1 under Mac OS X with a Core 2 Duo.

Attached is an image of the CPU history:

The thing to notice is that it only appears to be using a single core at any one time.

Is this a known issue?

Cheers,

Phil

Pharo under load.png (22K) Download Attachment

Re: CPU utilisation

Igor Stasenko
On 23 December 2010 21:22, Phil <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm new here so I'm sorry if this is something already covered. I spent a bit of time browsing the archive but didn't see anything obvious.
>
> When Pharo is under load it doesn't appear to making use of all processor cores.
>
> I'm using Pharo-1.1.1-- Latest update: #11414 with VM 4.2.1b1 under Mac OS X with a Core 2 Duo.
>
> Attached is an image of the CPU history:
>

> The thing to notice is that it only appears to be using a single core at any one time.
>
> Is this a known issue?

Yes. Squeak VM using green threading model - it runs a language-side
processes using single native thread.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: CPU utilisation

Mariano Martinez Peck
In addition to Igor comment, there is also some effort in trying to make multiple core vms. For example, https://github.com/smarr/RoarVM/

Gemstone Smalltalk does use also different cores. And maybe Eliot is working on that for the CogVM (I don't know).

Now I am wondering.....I remember (not sure) that in Linux you could specify which core to run certain process. If that is true, maybe you are able to run several vms at the same time in different cores?  I am thinking in case of having to scale a web application for example.

Does someone know?

thanks

mariano

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: CPU utilisation

Igor Stasenko
On 23 December 2010 21:48, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In addition to Igor comment, there is also some effort in trying to make
> multiple core vms. For example, https://github.com/smarr/RoarVM/
>
> Gemstone Smalltalk does use also different cores. And maybe Eliot is working
> on that for the CogVM (I don't know).
>
> Now I am wondering.....I remember (not sure) that in Linux you could specify
> which core to run certain process. If that is true, maybe you are able to
> run several vms at the same time in different cores?  I am thinking in case
> of having to scale a web application for example.

Usually, linux (as any other modern OS) distributing load between
cores efficiently by itself.

You can use process affinity only if you want to guarantee that each
process will have enough CPU power
at any given point of time.

--
Best regards,