CSS Framework?

Rob Rothwell
Hello,

This is mostly a philosophical question, I guess.

Do you think there would be any benefit to adding a CSS "layer" to a web framework such as Aida?  In other words, would it be worth it to be able to code your styles in Smalltalk in the same way that the HTML is currently created by Aida?

Or, is the point to be able to use existing CSS without having to re-write it in Smalltalk?

I guess the binding between the style and the elements/components created with Aida seems much more tight than the Javascript components that can sort of just be "loaded" and "forgotten" (kind of like a plugin), so it feels like there could be some benefit.

I guess it just feels a little awkward to describe the style in one language and build the component in another!

Rob Rothwell

Re: CSS Framework?

Janko Mivšek
Rob,

This is a good question and I also thought about it similarly. So far I
decided to go CSS only but with architecture, which can be extended to
generate CSS more programatically. You can do that now already by adding
a css* method which generates CSS when called. I'm using that from time
to time already.

But more broadly, should we tie CSS more closely to web elements or not.
Now we have a strict separation and this is good every time you are
working with web designers. they just need to provide a CSS for a design
and you put that in one css method and that is.

But if you work standalone, programing both web and css parts by
yourself, then this is a problem, yes, I fell by myself the same. Should
we "objectify" CSS for such cases? Is it worth? CSS is not simple. Maybe
  objectify just most common parts?

Janko

Rob Rothwell wrote:

> Hello,
>
> This is mostly a philosophical question, I guess.
>
> Do you think there would be any benefit to adding a CSS "layer" to a web
> framework such as Aida?  In other words, would it be worth it to be able
> to code your styles in Smalltalk in the same way that the HTML is
> currently created by Aida?
>
> Or, is the point to be able to use existing CSS without having to
> re-write it in Smalltalk?
>
> I guess the binding between the style and the elements/components
> created with Aida seems much more tight than the Javascript components
> that can sort of just be "loaded" and "forgotten" (kind of like a
> plugin), so it feels like there could be some benefit.
>
> I guess it just feels a little awkward to describe the style in one
> language and build the component in another!
>
> Rob Rothwell

Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: CSS Framework?

Stefan Schmiedl
On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 15:15:17 +0100
Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Rob,
>
> This is a good question and I also thought about it similarly. So far I
> decided to go CSS only but with architecture, which can be extended to
> generate CSS more programatically. You can do that now already by adding
> a css* method which generates CSS when called. I'm using that from time
> to time already.

IIRC, Kirk Haines of IOWA (originally by Avi Bryant,
ruby-precursor to Seaside) non-fame has done something like
this in Ruby. I seem to remember him talking about how he's able to
define styles in ruby and that it's working very well. I do not know
whether this is available publically however.

s.

Re: CSS Framework?

Damir Horvat-2
Janko Mivšek wrote:
  > Now we have a strict separation and this is good every time you are
> working with web designers. they just need to provide a CSS for a design
> and you put that in one css method and that is.

I'm doing it this way - one css method for all css. Like you said,
designers will always give you one or two .css files. And this is just
copy'n'paste. It can't get simpler.

If designer is cheating and using inline css (like I do :-) then maybe
css generated by Aida could be an option.

Css is still untamed beast. I'd go with simpler solution as keeping
up2date with all browsers and CSS specs is IMO just to hard.

br,
Damir

Re: CSS Framework?

Nicholas Moore
I do the same as Damir. Although I am new to css (and html) I feel that the whole approach (including 'rules') is still in a state of transition. So I think that keeping our Smalltalk code (which is stable) separate will protect us from css changes and minimise maintenance.

A+

Damir Horvat wrote:
Janko Mivšek wrote:
  > Now we have a strict separation and this is good every time you are

working with web designers. they just need to provide a CSS for a design
and you put that in one css method and that is.

I'm doing it this way - one css method for all css. Like you said,
designers will always give you one or two .css files. And this is just
copy'n'paste. It can't get simpler.

If designer is cheating and using inline css (like I do :-) then maybe
css generated by Aida could be an option.

Css is still untamed beast. I'd go with simpler solution as keeping
up2date with all browsers and CSS specs is IMO just to hard.

br,
Damir

NJM TSR-i

Nicholas J Moore

Re: CSS Framework?

Rob Rothwell
On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 10:40 AM, Damir Horvat <[hidden email]> wrote:
Css is still untamed beast. I'd go with simpler solution as keeping
up2date with all browsers and CSS specs is IMO just to hard.

Thanks for all the thoughts!

Like I said...I was just wondering since I am not working with a designer and do not know ANYTHING about CSS myself (other than looking through the WebStyle css methods).

It sounds like the "simplest thing that will work right now" is what you are already doing.

Guess I better learn a little CSS!

Thanks,

Rob