CSS style for tables in http://book.pharo-project.org/

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi (Doru?)

I was just creating this page: http://book.pharo-project.org/book/TipsAndTricks/InterruptKey

and seems there is no style for table, tr, td, etc. I checked with firebug and the html is correct. So I guess we could add style. I tried to go to the css component and check but it seems I don't have access. But that's better because I am horrible with css ;)

Now I wonder...can we put style to tables? at least border ;)  Maybe I did something wrong.

Thanks

mariano

Re: CSS style for tables in http://book.pharo-project.org/

Tudor Girba
Hi Mariano,

If you add headers, you will see that you do not need more lines to
delimit columns and rows. I updated your table with a header
(introduced with |!). Is this not enough?

Cheers,
Doru

On 15 May 2010, at 18:21, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Hi (Doru?)
>
> I was just creating this page: http://book.pharo-project.org/book/TipsAndTricks/InterruptKey
>
> and seems there is no style for table, tr, td, etc. I checked with
> firebug and the html is correct. So I guess we could add style. I
> tried to go to the css component and check but it seems I don't have
> access. But that's better because I am horrible with css ;)
>
> Now I wonder...can we put style to tables? at least border ;)  Maybe
> I did something wrong.
>
> Thanks
>
> mariano

www.tudorgirba.com

"Sometimes the best solution is not the best solution."

On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 10:43 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Mariano,

If you add headers, you will see that you do not need more lines to delimit columns and rows. I updated your table with a header (introduced with |!).

It is much better :)  Thanks!

Is this not enough?

I would like to be able to have borders at least. I tried this:

|!Operating system|!Keys
|Mac|Cmd-.
|Linux|Alt-.
|Windows|Alt-.

But the <div> is shown as literal (verbatim is call this?)...I previous versions of Pier (1.2) if I remember correctly it wasn't like this. So, how can I put html inside a book section ?

Finally, sorry. I did a mess and I don't know why http://book.pharo-project.org/book/table-of-contents/CustomizingPharo/

is in another table of content :(  how can I move it to the original one ?

Thanks and sorry for the noise.

Mariano

[...]

Please do not add html inside the book, because you will have troubles
when generating latex or when changing style.

Also, I do not agree that you need borders for the table, especially
for that particular table. Ask yourself this: can I distinguish the
table from the rest of the text? can I distinguish the organization of
the table? If you get yes to both questions, you probably do not need
more. Only add a line when you cannot do without it. It's like
Smalltalk :).

But, then again, I am not in charge with the book.

Now, regarding the embedding of html, in Pier2 (which is what is used
for the Pharo book), you have to escape it with {{{<html code>}}}.

Cheers,
Doru

On 15 May 2010, at 23:28, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 10:43 PM, Tudor Girba
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Mariano,
>
> If you add headers, you will see that you do not need more lines to
> delimit columns and rows. I updated your table with a header
> (introduced with |!).
>
> It is much better :)  Thanks!
>
> Is this not enough?
>

> I would like to be able to have borders at least. I tried this:

> |!Operating system|!Keys
> |Mac|Cmd-.
> |Linux|Alt-.
> |Windows|Alt-.
>

> But the <div> is shown as literal (verbatim is call this?)...I
> previous versions of Pier (1.2) if I remember correctly it wasn't
> like this. So, how can I put html inside a book section ?
>
> Finally, sorry. I did a mess and I don't know why http://book.pharo-project.org/book/table-of-contents/CustomizingPharo/
>
> is in another table of content :(  how can I move it to the original
> one ?
>
> Thanks and sorry for the noise.
>
> Mariano
>

> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 15 May 2010, at 18:21, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>
> Hi (Doru?)
>
> I was just creating this page: http://book.pharo-project.org/book/TipsAndTricks/InterruptKey
>
> and seems there is no style for table, tr, td, etc. I checked with
> firebug and the html is correct. So I guess we could add style. I
> tried to go to the css component and check but it seems I don't have
> access. But that's better because I am horrible with css ;)
>
> Now I wonder...can we put style to tables? at least border ;)  Maybe
> I did something wrong.
>
> Thanks
>
> mariano

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Sometimes the best solution is not the best solution."

www.tudorgirba.com

"Every thing has its own flow."

On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 11:34 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Please do not add html inside the book, because you will have troubles when generating latex or when changing style.

ahhh I forgot about your latex friend...sorry.

Also, I do not agree that you need borders for the table, especially for that particular table. Ask yourself this: can I distinguish the table from the rest of the text? can I distinguish the organization of the table? If you get yes to both questions, you probably do not need more. Only add a line when you cannot do without it. It's like Smalltalk :).

yes, maybe you are right here ;) But I guess that at some point we may need it.

But, then again, I am not in charge with the book.

Now, regarding the embedding of html, in Pier2 (which is what is used for the Pharo book), you have to escape it with {{{<html code>}}}.

Ok, thanks.