Caffeine :: Livecode the Web!

Craig Latta

Hi folks--

     I've released Caffeine, an in-browser IDE for livecoding JS
frameworks from SqueakJS. It effectively turns a webpage into an interim
dynabook. :)  There are also new demos of...

-    Snowglobe (Smalltalk app streaming and remote GUI access)

-    HTML5 Morphic (each Morphic window on its own HTML5 canvas,
     relieving much of the computation burden on SqueakJS)

-    morphic.js (Jens Mönig's great standalone implementation of
     Morphic, which is much faster than the current SqueakJS Morphic)

-    three.js (WebGL 3D graphics)

     See the announcement on my blog at [1]. I would love any feedback
you might have, and to collaborate on new use cases.

     thanks!

-C

***

[1] https://thiscontext.com/2017/06/22/caffeine-livecode-the-web

--
Craig Latta
Black Page Digital

Re: Caffeine :: Livecode the Web!

David T. Lewis
This is a real eye-opener :-)

I will not pretend to understand everything that is going on here, but the
"interim dynabook in a web page" is honestly quite amazing, and your
implementation of back-end processing in the cloud certainly seems to
demonstrate some fresh thinking with regard to how "applications" will be
delivered in the future.

Dave

> Hi folks--
>
>      I've released Caffeine, an in-browser IDE for livecoding JS
> frameworks from SqueakJS. It effectively turns a webpage into an interim
> dynabook. :)  There are also new demos of...
>
> -    Snowglobe (Smalltalk app streaming and remote GUI access)
>
> -    HTML5 Morphic (each Morphic window on its own HTML5 canvas,
>      relieving much of the computation burden on SqueakJS)
>
> -    morphic.js (Jens Mönig's great standalone implementation of
>      Morphic, which is much faster than the current SqueakJS Morphic)
>
> -    three.js (WebGL 3D graphics)
>
>      See the announcement on my blog at [1]. I would love any feedback
> you might have, and to collaborate on new use cases.
>

>      thanks!
>
> -C
>
> ***
>
> [1] https://thiscontext.com/2017/06/22/caffeine-livecode-the-web
>
> --
> Craig Latta
> Black Page Digital
> Amsterdam :: San Francisco
> [hidden email]
> +31   6 2757 7177 (SMS ok)
> + 1 415  287 3547 (no SMS)

Re: Caffeine :: Livecode the Web!

Bert Freudenberg
On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 3:11 PM, Craig Latta <[hidden email]> wrote:

     I've released Caffeine, an in-browser IDE for livecoding JS
frameworks from SqueakJS. It effectively turns a webpage into an interim
dynabook. :)

​Awesome! :)

- Bert -​

bpi

Re: Caffeine :: Livecode the Web!

bpi
Hi Craig,

I tried it out on Safari on macOS Sierra with all OS updates. At first it seemed to work. Then I tried what happens when I refresh. Now it does not work anymore. It stops during the „start virtual machine…“ phase. Restarting Safari did not help. Any idea how to fix that?

Cheers,
Bernhard

> Am 22.06.2017 um 15:11 schrieb Craig Latta <[hidden email]>:
>

> Hi folks--
>
>     I've released Caffeine, an in-browser IDE for livecoding JS
> frameworks from SqueakJS. It effectively turns a webpage into an interim
> dynabook. :)  There are also new demos of...
>
> -    Snowglobe (Smalltalk app streaming and remote GUI access)
>
> -    HTML5 Morphic (each Morphic window on its own HTML5 canvas,
>     relieving much of the computation burden on SqueakJS)
>
> -    morphic.js (Jens Mönig's great standalone implementation of
>     Morphic, which is much faster than the current SqueakJS Morphic)
>
> -    three.js (WebGL 3D graphics)
>
>     See the announcement on my blog at [1]. I would love any feedback
> you might have, and to collaborate on new use cases.
>

>     thanks!
>
> -C
>
> ***
>
> [1] https://thiscontext.com/2017/06/22/caffeine-livecode-the-web
>
> --
> Craig Latta
> Black Page Digital
> Amsterdam :: San Francisco
> [hidden email]
> +31   6 2757 7177 (SMS ok)
> + 1 415  287 3547 (no SMS)

Re: Caffeine :: Livecode the Web!

Craig Latta

Hi Bernhard--

> I tried it out on Safari on macOS Sierra with all OS updates. At
> first it seemed to work. Then I tried what happens when I refresh.
> Now it does not work anymore. It stops during the „start virtual
> machine…“ phase. Restarting Safari did not help. Any idea how to fix
> that?

     Do you see anything on the Safari JavaScript console? Please feel
free to contact me privately to follow up.

     thanks!

-C

--
Craig Latta
Black Page Digital
Amsterdam :: San Francisco
[hidden email]
+31   6 2757 7177 (SMS ok)
+ 1 415  287 3547 (no SMS)

Re: Caffeine :: Livecode the Web!

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Craig Latta wrote
> I tried it out on Safari on macOS Sierra with all OS updates. At
> first it seemed to work. Then I tried what happens when I refresh.
> Now it does not work anymore. It stops during the „start virtual
> machine…“ phase. Restarting Safari did not help. Any idea how to fix
> that?
Same here. Seems to be cache related because loading the page in a private browsing window makes it work again.

Craig Latta wrote
     Do you see anything on the Safari JavaScript console?
- SpeechPlugin: Web Speech API is not supported by this browser
- "Opened files database" from onsuccess in vm.js
- "Squeak fsck 0 directories, 10 files, 189.3 MBytes" from fsck in vm.js
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Caffeine :: Livecode the Web!

Craig Latta

Hi Sean--

     Bernhard wrote:

> I tried it out on Safari on macOS Sierra with all OS updates. At
> first it seemed to work. Then I tried what happens when I refresh.
> Now it does not work anymore. It stops during the „start virtual
> machine…“ phase. Restarting Safari did not help. Any idea how to fix
> that?

     You responded:

> Same here. Seems to be cache related because loading the page in a
> private browsing window makes it work again.

     Aha, some backward compatibility support in the ZIP processing code
for pre-ES6 clients was falling over itself on Safari. (The image,
changes, and sources are initially transmitted in ZIP files.) That code
is in a third-party library, and is complex and large; I haven't gone
through it all yet. Fortunately, the problem only happened when the ZIPs
had already been unpacked, so now I just don't call it in that case.

     Anyway, I can now load and reload successfully on latest
Safari/MacOS, and I updated https://caffeine.js.org/.

     thanks!

-C

--