Cairo

Cameron Sanders
Congrats on the release of Pharo 1.4!! Very exciting. Also, Nautilus looks nice -- in my first few minutes of using it.

-
One of my goals is to generate PDF reports. From Pharo, it appears that Pango/Cairo may give me a solution. And then I saw Athens, and thought it might be helpful.

I used the configuration tool to load Athens, but then realized that I need to load Cairo first -- I thought maybe it would be picked up as a dependency... i am not very familiar with these configurations yet, and it appears that it did not install it.

As I look around, I am having troubles finding a description of the optimal loading process for Pango & Cairo, for Pharo. My searches keep giving me very old/sub-optimal references on the forums. Nothing that works when i "do it" -- so I am obviously missing something.

Can someone please direct me to web pages describing the optimal loading technique for Pango & Cairo, or provide the Gofer lines here? Thanks in advance!

Thanks in advance!
Cam

Re: Cairo

Igor Stasenko
On 24 April 2012 01:01, Cameron Sanders <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Congrats on the release of Pharo 1.4!! Very exciting. Also, Nautilus looks
> nice -- in my first few minutes of using it.
>
> -
> One of my goals is to generate PDF reports. From Pharo, it appears that
> Pango/Cairo may give me a solution. And then I saw Athens, and thought it
> might be helpful.
>
> I used the configuration tool to load Athens, but then realized that I need
> to load Cairo first -- I thought maybe it would be picked up as a
> dependency... i am not very familiar with these configurations yet, and it
> appears that it did not install it.
>
> As I look around, I am having troubles finding a description of the optimal
> very old/sub-optimal references on the forums. Nothing that works when i "do
> it" -- so I am obviously missing something.
>
> Can someone please direct me to web pages describing the optimal loading
> technique for Pango & Cairo, or provide the Gofer lines here? Thanks in
> advance!

Gofer it
squeaksource: 'Athens';
package: 'ConfigurationOfAthens';
load.

Then.

(ConfigurationOfAthens project version: '1.0') load.

(and of course you need to use Cog VM with NativeBoost and Cairo
library installed on your OS).

Now about your goals: yes, it should be fairly possible to generate
PDFs using cairo.
But more work is needed: this functionality are not exposed by Athens directly.

The pango stuff is mostly done by Fernando, so i think he can tell you more.
Anyways, if you don't fear to make your hands a bit dirty, we can make
it, for sure.

P.S. Now i felt for real, what is non-linear progress: this is when
more than a single men contributing to project :)
Together we are strong. I cannot even tell, where Athens would be, if
not Fernando.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: Cairo

On Apr 24, 2012, at 12:01 AM, Cameron Sanders wrote:

> Congrats on the release of Pharo 1.4!! Very exciting. Also, Nautilus looks nice -- in my first few minutes of using it.
>
> -
> One of my goals is to generate PDF reports. From Pharo, it appears that Pango/Cairo may give me a solution. And then I saw Athens, and thought it might be helpful.

Olivier Auverlot who worked with several pdf libraries (he was working for an administration)
is building a PDF generator library. He showed us some results and this is promising.
Ask him. :)

> I used the configuration tool to load Athens, but then realized that I need to load Cairo first -- I thought maybe it would be picked up as a dependency... i am not very familiar with these configurations yet, and it appears that it did not install it.

On which platform are you?
because you should install the libraries first.
Then watch the video on athens that igor sent around last week.

Stef

> As I look around, I am having troubles finding a description of the optimal loading process for Pango & Cairo, for Pharo. My searches keep giving me very old/sub-optimal references on the forums. Nothing that works when i "do it" -- so I am obviously missing something.
>
> Can someone please direct me to web pages describing the optimal loading technique for Pango & Cairo, or provide the Gofer lines here? Thanks in advance!
>
> Thanks in advance!
> Cam

Re: Cairo

giorgiof
Step grane,

Did you know of the PDF4smalltalk project in vw.
It's quite ahead and there is also a reporting infrastructure built and guys are willing to port to other dialect
Ciao

Giorgio Ferraris
Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 24, 2012, at 7:15 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Apr 24, 2012, at 12:01 AM, Cameron Sanders wrote:
>
>> Congrats on the release of Pharo 1.4!! Very exciting. Also, Nautilus looks nice -- in my first few minutes of using it.
>>
>> -
>> One of my goals is to generate PDF reports. From Pharo, it appears that Pango/Cairo may give me a solution. And then I saw Athens, and thought it might be helpful.
>
> Olivier Auverlot who worked with several pdf libraries (he was working for an administration)
> is building a PDF generator library. He showed us some results and this is promising.
> Ask him. :)
>

>> I used the configuration tool to load Athens, but then realized that I need to load Cairo first -- I thought maybe it would be picked up as a dependency... i am not very familiar with these configurations yet, and it appears that it did not install it.
>
> On which platform are you?
> because you should install the libraries first.
> Then watch the video on athens that igor sent around last week.
>
> Stef
>>
>> As I look around, I am having troubles finding a description of the optimal loading process for Pango & Cairo, for Pharo. My searches keep giving me very old/sub-optimal references on the forums. Nothing that works when i "do it" -- so I am obviously missing something.
>>
>> Can someone please direct me to web pages describing the optimal loading technique for Pango & Cairo, or provide the Gofer lines here? Thanks in advance!
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>> Cam

Re: Cairo

Stéphane Ducasse

On Apr 24, 2012, at 9:51 AM, Giorgio Ferraris wrote:

> Step grane,
>
> Did you know of the PDF4smalltalk project in vw.

Yes
> It's quite ahead and there is also a reporting infrastructure built and guys are willing to port to other dialect

I mentioned that to olivier when he started but he wanted to do its own lib.

;)

Re: Cairo

giorgiof
Seems that people like to reinvent the wheel :(
Ciao

Giorgio Ferraris
Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 24, 2012, at 10:49 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Apr 24, 2012, at 9:51 AM, Giorgio Ferraris wrote:
>
>> Step grane,
>>
>> Did you know of the PDF4smalltalk project in vw.
>
> Yes
>> It's quite ahead and there is also a reporting infrastructure built and guys are willing to port to other dialect
>
> I mentioned that to olivier when he started but he wanted to do its own lib.
>
> ;)

Re: Cairo

drush66
On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 1:33 PM, Giorgio Ferraris
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Seems that people like to reinvent the wheel :(
> Ciao

and pdf is quite a big wheel if I may say. Like the ones used on bigfoot cars.

Davorin Rusevljan
http://www.cloud208.com/

Re: Cairo

Cameron Sanders
 Igor, & others,

Thanks for the info/links/leads.

To be honest, I would rather just use a toolkit than create one. That is not accurate, more accurately: I would rather create the toolkit than use it ... if I had the time. Unfortunately for me, I do not have the time. So, if there is only a possibility that I can generate PDFs that meet my standards with pango/athens/cairo, then I should probably redirect my efforts.

Previously I used ReportLab in Python to generate my reports. See the following sample that was generated by code crafted back around 2002/2003: http://ac.functional-analyst.com/fa-reports.php?table=2003-02-28/fa_reports&s=BDOG. ReportLab allowed for simple mark-ups in the text (e.g. <b> ... </b>) and for that version of report, I wrote code that allowed me to use XMLs to define my document components & flow ordering/control. I guess ReportLab's new PLUS version uses XML to give one full control of the document layout.

Of course, I want something more attractive than that sample, in this day and age. Color, floating text & image boxes. The reports must meet the standards of today. Perhaps something more like http://debrispublishing.com/images/stories/Reports/2011/06-2011/ECA_2011-06-15_REPORT.pdf. But going further than that, in terms of charts, color usage, footnoting the tables, etc. See Standard & Poor's stock reports -- at that quality. The ideal toolkit would have some nice chart making abilities so that we don't have to invest 2 man months in creating a chart-making suite.

These reports will be generated weekly for about 9000 companies/funds. The process must be automated.

Ideally the report generation would be integrated with my data processing engine, which is in Pharo. Perhaps I will check out PDF4smalltalk. Once I can get my software talking to my DB (soon i hope), I can push my data into the DB and use Python or any other toolset for report generation... *if* I cannot do it in smalltalk.

Any leads that anyone can offer are greatly appreciated!

(and of course you need to use Cog VM with NativeBoost and Cairo
library installed on your OS).

I will have to poke around and learn what NativeBoost is... and which VMs were built with it.

The pango stuff is mostly done by Fernando, so i think he can tell you more.
Anyways, if you don't fear to make your hands a bit dirty, we can make
it, for sure.

How dirty?

Thanks again for all of the responses.

-Cam

Re: Cairo

giorgiof
Hi,
If you have that kind of request and don't think about getting sick if looking at java :)) (after looking at pdf4smalltalk), there can be an interesting different possibility . You write reporting logic in st and write on some db table the data , then you can use jasper report for printing. There is a designer for it and you can do a small java web server for printing the generated report.
If you think this can be interesting, I can eventually send you the java server and some Smalltalk code to call it. Jasper is really powerful. Look at the doc. It's open source but you can only learn the design tool, because running the report is not a big java work.
I could not use pdf4smalltalk on the application i'm working on because it miss at the moment the possibility to Include colored images. I wanted to use it but no time to help people to adding that functionality.
Ciao

Giorgio Ferraris
Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 24, 2012, at 6:38 PM, Cameron Sanders <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

-Cam

Re: Cairo

Igor Stasenko
On 24 April 2012 18:38, Cameron Sanders <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  Igor, & others,
>
> Thanks for the info/links/leads.
>
> To be honest, I would rather just use a toolkit than create one. That is not
> accurate, more accurately: I would rather create the toolkit than use it ...
> if I had the time. Unfortunately for me, I do not have the time. So, if
> there is only a possibility that I can generate PDFs that meet my standards
> with pango/athens/cairo, then I should probably redirect my efforts.

I will try to look what needs to be done, and if it can be done fast.

> Previously I used ReportLab in Python to generate my reports. See the
> following sample that was generated by code crafted back around
> 2002/2003: http://ac.functional-analyst.com/fa-reports.php?table=2003-02-28/fa_reports&s=BDOG.
> ReportLab allowed for simple mark-ups in the text (e.g. <b> ... </b>) and
> for that version of report, I wrote code that allowed me to use XMLs to
> define my document components & flow ordering/control. I guess ReportLab's
> new PLUS version uses XML to give one full control of the document layout.
>
> Of course, I want something more attractive than that sample, in this day
> and age. Color, floating text & image boxes. The reports must meet the
> standards of today. Perhaps something more
> like http://debrispublishing.com/images/stories/Reports/2011/06-2011/ECA_2011-06-15_REPORT.pdf.
> But going further than that, in terms of charts, color usage, footnoting the
> tables, etc. See Standard & Poor's stock reports -- at that quality. The
> ideal toolkit would have some nice chart making abilities so that we don't
> have to invest 2 man months in creating a chart-making suite.
>
> These reports will be generated weekly for about 9000 companies/funds. The
> process must be automated.
>
> Ideally the report generation would be integrated with my data processing
> engine, which is in Pharo. Perhaps I will check out PDF4smalltalk. Once I
> can get my software talking to my DB (soon i hope), I can push my data into
> the DB and use Python or any other toolset for report generation... *if* I
> cannot do it in smalltalk.
>
> Any leads that anyone can offer are greatly appreciated!
>
>> (and of course you need to use Cog VM with NativeBoost and Cairo
>> library installed on your OS).
>

> I will have to poke around and learn what NativeBoost is... and which VMs
> were built with it.

Feel free to ask questions.

>> The pango stuff is mostly done by Fernando, so i think he can tell you
>> more.
>> Anyways, if you don't fear to make your hands a bit dirty, we can make
>> it, for sure.
>

> How dirty?

You tell me. :)
I don't know what extra bindings is needed to use Cairo for PDF generation.
But since you started this topic, i assumed you  know.
We can help with making it comply with Athens protocols., so then
anyone could use it as another backend.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.