Calendrical capabilities

publius789

I am new to the Pharo world and looking at capabilities for potential applications.

One of the first things I am interested in is Calendar processing capabilities.  I haven’t had a chance to look at the code yet, but specifically how much does Pharo’s Date/Calendar capabilities match that in the java.util package for Java 9?  Additionally, is there any way to give the number of business days between two dates for a particular local calendar?  If so, what’s the format for a local calendar?

I’m going to take a look at the code shortly, but if anyone can shed a general light what currently exists it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Jim

Re: Calendrical capabilities

Stephane Ducasse-3
Hi Jim

you should have a look at the Aconcagua library. It has been designed
by people making business in stock management.
You can find two pdfs here:

http://sdmeta.gforge.inria.fr/Teaching/CoursAnnecy/0506-M1-COO/

And their authors are still around in this mailing-list.

Now it may means that you have to extend it to fit your need.
I like what they did.
There was also a library called chronos but I do not know its status
it was supporting many different calendars.

Finally I think the core library should deserve some love because
sometimes I see it limited but when I compare
with the java counterpart I saw, it is good :).

Stef

On Sat, Dec 23, 2017 at 10:32 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am new to the Pharo world and looking at capabilities for potential
> applications.
>

> One of the first things I am interested in is Calendar processing
> capabilities.  I haven’t had a chance to look at the code yet, but
> specifically how much does Pharo’s Date/Calendar capabilities match that in
> the java.util package for Java 9?  Additionally, is there any way to give
> the number of business days between two dates for a particular local
> calendar?  If so, what’s the format for a local calendar?
>

> I’m going to take a look at the code shortly, but if anyone can shed a
> general light what currently exists it would be greatly appreciated.
>

> Regards,
>
> Jim

Re: Calendrical capabilities

Stephane Ducasse-3
Aconcagua is available via the catalog.
Here is what I found in my harddisc about chronos.
I can send you the zipped file with old code (probably should be
ported to Pharo).

The Chronos Date:Time Library.pdf (379K) Download Attachment

Re: Calendrical capabilities

publius789
This is very helpful.  Nice holiday weekend reading!

Sure, if its not too much trouble you can send it to me.

Thanks.

Regards,
Jim

Here is what I found in my harddisc about chronos.
I can send you the zipped file with old code (probably should be ported to Pharo).

On Sat, Dec 23, 2017 at 10:32 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am new to the Pharo world and looking at capabilities for potential
> applications.
>

> One of the first things I am interested in is Calendar processing
> capabilities.  I haven’t had a chance to look at the code yet, but
> specifically how much does Pharo’s Date/Calendar capabilities match
> that in the java.util package for Java 9?  Additionally, is there any
> way to give the number of business days between two dates for a
> particular local calendar?  If so, what’s the format for a local calendar?
>

> I’m going to take a look at the code shortly, but if anyone can shed a
> general light what currently exists it would be greatly appreciated.
>

> Regards,
>
> Jim

Re: Calendrical capabilities

Paul DeBruicker
There is a port to Pharo (and gemstone) of Chronos  here:

http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~Chronos/Chronos

I think I last tested it in Pharo 4.

publius789 wrote

> This is very helpful.  Nice holiday weekend reading!
>
> Sure, if its not too much trouble you can send it to me.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Regards,
> Jim

Excellent I did not know it.

Stef

On Wed, Dec 27, 2017 at 1:54 AM, Paul DeBruicker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There is a port to Pharo (and gemstone) of Chronos  here:
>

> http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~Chronos/Chronos
>

> I think I last tested it in Pharo 4.
>

> publius789 wrote
>> This is very helpful.  Nice holiday weekend reading!
>>
>> Sure, if its not too much trouble you can send it to me.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Jim

Michael J. Forster
On Wed, Dec 27, 2017 at 2:38 AM, Stephane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Excellent I did not know it.
>
> Stef

[...]

+1

I re-implemented the core Chronos features in PLT-Scheme (Racket) and
Common Lisp years ago. For those interested in Chronos--and to save
them some time digging--here are some links I kept:

http://chronos-st.blogspot.ca/2006/12/chronos-101-points-in-time.html
http://chronos-st.blogspot.ca/2007/01/chronos-101-durational-values.html
http://chronos-st.blogspot.ca/2007/01/chronos-101-intervals-of-time.html

Cheers,