Call about Numerical Methods in Pharo :)

123

Re: Call about Numerical Methods in Pharo :)

stepharo
left blank on purpose

Le 5/3/16 18:22, Eliot Miranda a écrit :
Stef,

On Mar 5, 2016, at 12:10 AM, stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:

You probably leave in a protected environment but I do not live in the same.
Did you check numPy recently or R? momemtum?
Do you think that people do not know how to count?
In 1980 my students were not even born, so how can it be better than
    python, java, c#, lua, ...

Do you think that it makes me happy to see my old friends leaving our language and do node.js.
Seriously.
Why do you blame me? Frankly tell to leave Pharo and I will leave. I can tell you.
I think that I need a break in my life in this moment so it would be a good opportunity.
Because if each time I do something to improve the wealth and visibility of our system
I get such kind of feedback then may be this is the time to do something.
Afterall I may be wrong.
Seriously if you think that I'm not doing a good job and you want to stay with old friends
just let me know. but if I stay then do not tell me that I'm an asshole that does not want to
promote smalltalk.

I do not blame you.  I am offended by Pharo disavowing the Smalltalk name.  I am offended when people state Pharo is not Smalltalk.  I want to refute false assumptions about the name Smalltalk, such as the equating it with cobol.  Instead of taking it personally why don't you address my points about older programming languages whose names (AFAICT) are not perceived negatively?

I support this community and am excited to participate in it.  I admire and respect your efforts, Stéphane, in developing, organizing and supporting this community.  But that does not mean I will keep quiet about something I profoundly disagree with and think is wrong.  And that thing is to deny Pharo is Smalltalk.

And I do this not because I am a zealot, but because words meaning are important, because to understand each other we should call a spade a spade, and because I am grateful for and delighted by this thing called Smalltalk, and I will not support taking credit away from it.  Ruby is inspired by Smalltalk.  Pharo is the real thing.

Stef

Le 5/3/16 02:18, Eliot Miranda a écrit :

On Fri, Mar 4, 2016 at 12:08 PM, stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:

SciPharo? Not so great news from my POV.
What is so much pharo specific in this library?
Is Smalltalk scientific community large enough for yet another split?
Split of what? Let us be tagged with a name of 1980 and die in peace. Yes this looks like a
smart move.
There are just Python and R and Javascript around (not talking about ruby and swift)
so this is a great move. We are not the cobol of object-oriented programming!!

When I read sentiments like this it makes me want to leave the community.  I find it so offensive that the Pharo community uses Smalltalk but wants to distance itself.  It feels like theft or massive disrespect for the inventors of the language, or a complete lack of gratitude.

C is older than Smalltalk and no one says "C is the cobol of low-level imperative languages".  List is much older than C but no one wants to rename Lisp because it is perceived as old.

Smalltalk is a beautiful name, carefully chosen to differentiate and identify the system as different, not arrogant, not hieroglyphic.  Further, Smalltalkl /is/ different and distinctive materially.  Why anyone would be ashamed of that incredible heritage and pervasive influence is beyond me.

Offended,
Eliot

Re: Call about Numerical Methods in Pharo :)

stepharo
Why Pharo is not smalltalk and will not be Smalltalk

    - First because we make it to free us from the past.

    - In the future we want that people that learned smalltalk in the 90 do not discard Pharo because

                - "what killed smalltalk was that we could not work well in team"
                - "smalltalk oh it does not scale"
                - "I cannot edit my code with emacs"
                - "oh back in 1993 I got lecture and the system took 10 min to boot on our sparc (I got this story yesterday)"
                - I did not get how you work in team
                - "with Smalltalk you cannot save your code in svn"
                - "Smalltalk is monolithic"
                - "you are in a cage you cannot interact with the outside world" a guy organising OOPSLA
                - "Smalltalk what a dated name! bavardage: tu programmes en bavardage, donc les resultats ne doivent pas
                etre si super que cela...."

I do not care that these statements are right or wrong.
I do not care that people are ignorant. And yes with some education we can show that they are wrong.
There are in the mind of people that got in touch with Smalltalk.
No more no less.

So may be Smalltalkers should read book about marketing in general.

So you are stuck in your history and I'm dreaming about the future: and the future is Pharo not Smalltalk. Face it.
There will be no renewal of Smalltalk. Pharo is the chance for Smalltalk to exist in 2050.
The future is much more important that the history.

You do not make people dreaming telling them that back in the 1940 you add to cross the street to fetch water.

[...]

Pharo Smalltalk Developers mailing list
Sorry to say Stéphane, but those arguments are just as funny as wrong.

You know what?  I can copy some code from Smalltalk/X, Dolphin Smalltalk, VisualAge, ObjectStudio, VisualWorks, ObjectWorks, Smalltalk MT, Squeak, VSE, and many others and save it in Pharo and *it will compile* !!

So I guess Pharo is Smalltalk.

It's not because you renamed the workspace to Playground that it's not Smalltalk!

If it's not Smalltalk, tell me what it is!

And, btw, I can also take some Pharo code and import it in all the dialects mentionned above.  So I guess Pharo, like it or not, with all the fancy names and *we don't want no fucking backward compatibility and we try to distance ourselves as far as possible from all Smalltalks* is still Smalltalk.

Instead of spending a sh*tload of bytes arguing about this nonsense, let's move on to do some coding...

In Pharo, in Squeak, in Dolphin, in VAST, in VW, in ObjectStudio, in Amber in whatever...

I'm a Smalltalker : I don't give a f**k about the dialect.

I love Smalltalk, whatever the dialect.

-----------------
Benoît St-Jean
Yahoo! Messenger: bstjean
Twitter: @BenLeChialeux
Pinterest: benoitstjean
IRC: lamneth
Blogue: endormitoire.wordpress.com
"A standpoint is an intellectual horizon of radius zero".  (A. Einstein)

Re: Call about Numerical Methods in Pharo :)

stepharo
I do not know in which world you live. You are probably not exposed to
students and
to technology stack, techno center, hackaton and other place were
developers gather and hack.
You probably use Smalltalk for your hobby and this is great.
I'm selling Pharo to industry and programmers and the competition is real.

I'm sad because you did not get anything that I'm said. Sorry but I will
not continue this thread.
Now you will not force us to market Pharo the way it should.

If you are not happy, put money on the consortium and come to talk to us
but you will be disappointed
because the complete board is thinking the same.
We are marketing our future.

Now I will ask to be ban from this list such recurrent discussions. Why
because we all lose time and you make me
losing a lot of energy and frankly I would be you I would prefer that
Stephane Ducasse, the Great Energizer
is focusing on producing cool videos, new books or whatever instead of
talking about this "pharo is smalltalk" shit.

Yes you see I spent 14 hours to go to discuss with didier and we pushed
the numerical method book (that I reviewed
in the past several times), with serge we edited the new version of the
book, we patiently collected
all the libraries over the years, we are fighting with dependencies and
more.
So it gives the right to do what we want and if you are not happy, I'm
sorry about it but this is like that!

Re: Call about Numerical Methods in Pharo :)

EstebanLM

On 06 Mar 2016, at 10:50, Benoit St-Jean via Pharo-dev <[hidden email]> wrote:

Instead of spending a sh*tload of bytes arguing about this nonsense, let's move on to do some coding...

Sorry, but this is the only reasonable thing I can rescue from this whole thread.
The same discussion arises every year once or twice and is always same result: nothing, except people getting angry and trolling in every possible direction… we will *never* reach an agreement here because is a subjective matter. Is that a reason to zealot about? No (and take into account I’m referring to all positions here, not just one side or another).

So I will ask *again* too calm down and let’s talk about what is really important? This thread has now 44 mails (45 with this now)… of those, just the first mail had something to do with the original purpose.

Stay calm, stay cool… we are all big persons with strong opinions that deserves respect. But we are here to put that positions aside and to discuss about what we can do together… they can be great of dust, you decide.

Esteban

ps: if it helps, consider this thread as “moderated: not constructive” :)

Re: Call about Numerical Methods in Pharo :)

kilon.alios
Sorry guys but I dont think this is non sense because you may be coding in Pharo and Smalltalk for a long time, but as a beginner I was confused by this, and to this day I am still confused why Pharo is not calling itself a modern implementation of Smalltalk. Even in Pharo by Example there was no mention at all the Pharo is a Squeak fork, nothing, now there is (few week before) , guess who added it. No mention about Squeak in our website whatsoever.  Why ? Do we just fork and forget about them ?

Also this whole guilt about the so called "failure" or "death" of smalltalk is hilarious. Smalltalk was never popular and we certainly wont be with Pharo, because in the end its very unfamiliar and most coders dont like going outside their comfort zone. Personally  I am fine with that but this is why I use Pharo to get outside my comfort zone and think outside the box, but I dont kid myself, I belong to a tiny minority.

I am sorry if you feel that we derail the thread, but some of us feel very uncomfortable by some people trying to mislead newcomers that Pharo will at some point brake away from Smalltalk heritage when we all know that wont happen for the following reasons 1) Smalltalk is an awesome language and its failure to become popular has nothing to do with the IDE and the language and more to do with lack of libraries, documentation and third party tool support plus of course the all important familiarity b) Most likely a ton of Squeak and older Smalltalk code will remain in Pharo because none sane enough would removed code that has stood the test of time, is well designed and works c) Even if you have a tiny sense or realism you will realize that the reason why people use Pharo is because is a modern implementation of smalltalk, trying to connect with modern technologies but at same time remaining a smalltalk in the core.

And finally lets take into account that all languages are evolving.

I was coding C++ till 1996 and was very frustrated with the language, manual memory management, inflexible type system, horrible GUI libraries (MFC). Now I learn C++ 11 which means an almost fully dynamic type systems (see auto , templates etc) , automatic memory management (smart pointers), vast array of greatly design GUI and graphics libraries (QT, Unreal, GTK etc). In 20 years C++ has become night and day, sure still much more ugly than Pharo but far, far better . Did we stop calling it C++ ?

I totally agree, that this discussion arises few time per year and in the end we dont agree. But I dont post here to make you change your mind, I know people rarely do that, I post here because I want to make crystal to begineers viewing this mailing that for me and many others:

Pharo IS Smalltalk, Pharo IS a Squeak fork, Pharo is a modern implementation that tries to push forward but respects its heritage and pays credit to it.

 Saying that if this numpy variant library intends to target only Pharo then it makes more sense to call it SciPharo.

On Sun, Mar 6, 2016 at 12:30 PM Volkert <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Amen!

My lastname is St-Jean, like it or not I'm closer to Ducasse than Hollansworth!

I discovered Smalltalk with ObjectWorks on AIX : I'm closer to Pharo than Python, C, C++, C#, Ruby, Snobol, Dart, Go or any other language... Like it or not, I'm closer to Smalltalk than Java, COBOL or any other retarded programming language...

I've been working as a consultant in Smalltalk since the 90s.  I don't care : VW, VAST, VSE as long as it's Smalltalk!  I'm closer to Pharo than I am to anything else (except Modula-2).

This stupid war is sooooooo stupid!

If you know what the DNU acronym means, you're a Smalltalker. Period.

Pharo can go its own way (whether I like it nor not), but it's still Smalltalk!

These guys (the Pharoers, and Stéphane Ducasse) have made *tremendous* steps forward. Like "how come nobody ever did that for Smalltalk except James Robertson" ?

I like Pharo.  I fell in love with VW 2.5.

Vous êtes si belles, vous toutes!

I love Smalltalk!

-----------------
Benoît St-Jean
Yahoo! Messenger: bstjean
Twitter: @BenLeChialeux
Pinterest: benoitstjean
IRC: lamneth
Blogue: endormitoire.wordpress.com
"A standpoint is an intellectual horizon of radius zero".  (A. Einstein)

Re: Call about Numerical Methods in Pharo :)

Nicolai Hess-3-2

Thank you Stéphane Ducasse,
thank you Eliot Miranda,
and all other people of this community.

I appreciate what all you are doing (as a teacher / developer / user / supporter)
for <enter your favourite name for this great exceptional computing environment>
and it is a pleasure for me to work with you.

(this is all I have to say to this topic)

Thanks ! And go one :-)

nicolai

Re: Call about Numerical Methods in Pharo :)

Uko2
You know people, you should get a life.

The call was to Pharoers to improve Numerical Methods in Pharo. I understand that someone is pissed that Pharo is evolving, but I don’t understand why you keep replying to them.

Uko

From: Benoit St-Jean via Pharo-dev <[hidden email]>
Date: 6 March 2016 at 14:31:24 GMT+1
To: Pharo Development List <[hidden email]>
Cc: Benoit St-Jean <[hidden email]>

Re: Call about Numerical Methods in Pharo :)

Torsten Bergmann
It is understandable that over time an own identity for Pharo is helpful (especially
because of the bad Smalltalk marketing, failures of commercial vendors in the past, ...).
But also no one can not deny/hide the original roots of Pharo: the primary foundations
with pure objects all the way down and messages and concepts just plain Smalltalk.
Same for the basic class hierarchy, ...

So this discussion is useless, especially because Pharo still lacks many of the
features a portable, integratable environment should have (and that Smalltalk
failed to deliver, at least in a common way). We should not confuse wishes/dreams
with existing state of the technology and facts.

Also why discuss about this now again? Did we discuss about renaming SUnit into PUnit? No.
This just burns our cycles.

For the marketing part there is a primary question to be answered: what are the
(business) problems Pharo can solve. At least if we want Pharo to be commercially
viable and get money (not only our own) into the community.
This is the part that was answered by other languages and technologies so far and
the simple reason why they are used: even when they are ugly they solve a problem.

Nonetheless:
============
If there is a rename I would suggest to rename "SciSmalltalk" into "Polymath".
 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polymath
 - it can be applied to many subject areas
 - would be related to Math and science
 - would also have a "P" like Pharo in the name
 - Da Vinci was a polymath person, as well as Imhotep :)

Bye
T.

Le 6/3/16 14:53, Nicolai Hess a écrit :

> Thank you Stéphane Ducasse,
> thank you Eliot Miranda,
> and all other people of this community.
>
> I appreciate what all you are doing (as a teacher / developer / user /
> supporter)
> for <enter your favourite name for this great exceptional computing
> environment>
> and it is a pleasure for me to work with you.

Me too :)

> (this is all I have to say to this topic)
>
> Thanks ! And go one :-)
>
> nicolai

Re: Call about Numerical Methods in Pharo :)

Pharo Smalltalk Developers mailing list
Seems that it was renamed?

Any hints of the tools I should look at to find the rank of something in a distribution?

-cam