Call about Numerical Methods in Pharo :)

123

Call about Numerical Methods in Pharo :)

stepharo
Hi guys

I met Didier Besset and we had a great hacking session and discussions
with Serge Stinckwich.
Didier would like to help Pharo and the numerical part of it. ***Big
thanks*** Didier.

We would like to do several things:

     - Work on "Hows to"
       The numerical methods in Pharo is good but the gap between us and
the math is too large :)
      so the idea is to have a series of "how to ..."
             - histomgram (simple, based on distribution)

     - Improve the SciPharo/NumPha (previously SciSmalltalk) library
     This morning we started to implement a
ComponentPrincipalDecomposition by combining two of the
     objects available in SciPharo.
         Then we started to enhance the distributions to make sure that
we can plug other distribution for having
         controlled random number.

     - Do a public call to know what is missing for you: this is this
mail :)
     Didier would like to work on concrete cases. I love that attitude
     So tell us :)

             Hernan ??
             Alex: ?? pvalue? better distribution?
             Vincent: covariance? CPA?
             Philippe: times series
             Serge R frames?
             Sami: Better random number and various distributions?

     - Organise a two day lectures with practices on concrete case in
September with a recording session.
     Either at IRD Bondy or Lille.

     - Make sure that the Numerical Method book will get on lulu :) with
a better cover and title :)

Re: Call about Numerical Methods in Pharo :)

Tudor Girba-2
This is great news!

I would be interested in time series and distributions as well.

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"Obvious things are difficult to teach."

Re: Call about Numerical Methods in Pharo :)

SergeStinckwich
On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 2:41 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This is great news!
>
> I would be interested in time series and distributions as well.

Distributions are already there. I start some early work on time series.

--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Call about Numerical Methods in Pharo :)

Nicolas Cellier
SciPharo? Not so great news from my POV.
What is so much pharo specific in this library?
Is Smalltalk scientific community large enough for yet another split?

On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 2:41 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This is great news!
>
> I would be interested in time series and distributions as well.

Distributions are already there. I start some early work on time series.

--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Call about Numerical Methods in Pharo :)

Paul DeBruicker
+1

Nicolas Cellier wrote
SciPharo? Not so great news from my POV.
What is so much pharo specific in this library?
Is Smalltalk scientific community large enough for yet another split?

> On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 2:41 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > This is great news!
> >
> > I would be interested in time series and distributions as well.
>
> Distributions are already there. I start some early work on time series.
>
> --
> Serge Stinckwich
> UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
> Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
> http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Call about Numerical Methods in Pharo :)

SergeStinckwich
On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 7:11 PM, Nicolas Cellier
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> SciPharo? Not so great news from my POV.
> What is so much pharo specific in this library?
> Is Smalltalk scientific community large enough for yet another split?

We can think of a more neutral name.
Any idea for a new name ?

Regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Call about Numerical Methods in Pharo :)

Pharo Smalltalk Developers mailing list
Why just don't we honor Didier H. Besset and leave it as it was, Numerical Methods in Smalltalk?

That way, regardless of your favorite Smalltalk implementation, there will always be a "Numerical Methods in Smalltalk" package somewhere!

The same way there's no GlorpPharo : it's Glorp everywhere!

-----------------
Benoît St-Jean
Yahoo! Messenger: bstjean
Twitter: @BenLeChialeux
Pinterest: benoitstjean
IRC: lamneth
Blogue: endormitoire.wordpress.com
"A standpoint is an intellectual horizon of radius zero".  (A. Einstein)

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> SciPharo? Not so great news from my POV.
> What is so much pharo specific in this library?
> Is Smalltalk scientific community large enough for yet another split?

We can think of a more neutral name.
Any idea for a new name ?

Regards,

--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Call about Numerical Methods in Pharo :)

Nicolas Cellier
Could you use a metacello configuration named SciPharo composed of packaged that you would pick from a more neutral repository?

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> SciPharo? Not so great news from my POV.
> What is so much pharo specific in this library?
> Is Smalltalk scientific community large enough for yet another split?

We can think of a more neutral name.
Any idea for a new name ?

Regards,

--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Call about Numerical Methods in Pharo :)

abergel
I personally never liked the name “SciSmalltalk”. “SciPharo” is much better in my opinion
PhaNum is also okay to me.

Alexandre
Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

On Mar 2, 2016, at 3:11 PM, Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]> wrote:

SciPharo? Not so great news from my POV.
What is so much pharo specific in this library?
Is Smalltalk scientific community large enough for yet another split?

On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 2:41 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This is great news!
>
> I would be interested in time series and distributions as well.

Distributions are already there. I start some early work on time series.

--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Call about Numerical Methods in Pharo :)

Nicolas Cellier

I personally never liked the name “SciSmalltalk”. “SciPharo” is much better in my opinion
PhaNum is also okay to me.

SciSmalltalk is ugly.
Currently, there is no package named SciSmalltalk.
SciSmalltalk is just:
- an aggregate of packages (a metacello configuration)
- a repository (github + Smalltalkhub)

If you name the Metacello configuration SciPharo, it's OK,
because it does not really exclude any goodwill contributing from another Smalltalk flavour.

If you name the repositories SciPharo, you start tainting a bit more... But well.

Alexandre
Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

On Mar 2, 2016, at 3:11 PM, Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]> wrote:

SciPharo? Not so great news from my POV.
What is so much pharo specific in this library?
Is Smalltalk scientific community large enough for yet another split?

On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 2:41 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This is great news!
>
> I would be interested in time series and distributions as well.

Distributions are already there. I start some early work on time series.

--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Call about Numerical Methods in Pharo :)

stepharo

SciPharo? Not so great news from my POV.
What is so much pharo specific in this library?
Is Smalltalk scientific community large enough for yet another split?
Split of what? Let us be tagged with a name of 1980 and die in peace. Yes this looks like a
smart move.
There are just Python and R and Javascript around (not talking about ruby and swift)
so this is a great move. We are not the cobol of object-oriented programming!!

On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 2:41 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This is great news!
>
> I would be interested in time series and distributions as well.

Distributions are already there. I start some early work on time series.

--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Call about Numerical Methods in Pharo :)

stepharo
We are changing the code and removing mistakes (except if you prefer to
have double initialization for example).
We are maintaining the book and we will produce a new.
So focus on the good energy and our world will get much better.

Re: Call about Numerical Methods in Pharo :)

SergeStinckwich
On Fri, Mar 4, 2016 at 8:44 PM, Nicolas Cellier
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>> I personally never liked the name “SciSmalltalk”. “SciPharo” is much
>> better in my opinion
>> PhaNum is also okay to me.
>>

> SciSmalltalk is ugly.

I don't like the name either. We will find a better sexy name !

> Currently, there is no package named SciSmalltalk.
> SciSmalltalk is just:
> - an aggregate of packages (a metacello configuration)
> - a repository (github + Smalltalkhub)

SciSmalltalk is a bit more than just a few packages ...
We have tests, we have a CI job, we have a book.

--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Call about Numerical Methods in Pharo :)

Eliot Miranda-2

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

On Fri, Mar 4, 2016 at 12:08 PM, stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:

SciPharo? Not so great news from my POV.
What is so much pharo specific in this library?
Is Smalltalk scientific community large enough for yet another split?
Split of what? Let us be tagged with a name of 1980 and die in peace. Yes this looks like a
smart move.
There are just Python and R and Javascript around (not talking about ruby and swift)
so this is a great move. We are not the cobol of object-oriented programming!!

When I read sentiments like this it makes me want to leave the community.  I find it so offensive that the Pharo community uses Smalltalk but wants to distance itself.  It feels like theft or massive disrespect for the inventors of the language, or a complete lack of gratitude.

C is older than Smalltalk and no one says "C is the cobol of low-level imperative languages".  List is much older than C but no one wants to rename Lisp because it is perceived as old.

Smalltalk is a beautiful name, carefully chosen to differentiate and identify the system as different, not arrogant, not hieroglyphic.  Further, Smalltalkl /is/ different and distinctive materially.  Why anyone would be ashamed of that incredible heritage and pervasive influence is beyond me.

Offended,
Eliot

Re: Call about Numerical Methods in Pharo :)

stepharo
You probably leave in a protected environment but I do not live in the same.
Did you check numPy recently or R? momemtum?
Do you think that people do not know how to count?
In 1980 my students were not even born, so how can it be better than
    python, java, c#, lua, ...

Do you think that it makes me happy to see my old friends leaving our language and do node.js.
Seriously.
Why do you blame me? Frankly tell to leave Pharo and I will leave. I can tell you.
I think that I need a break in my life in this moment so it would be a good opportunity.
Because if each time I do something to improve the wealth and visibility of our system
I get such kind of feedback then may be this is the time to do something.
Afterall I may be wrong.
Seriously if you think that I'm not doing a good job and you want to stay with old friends
just let me know. but if I stay then do not tell me that I'm an asshole that does not want to
promote smalltalk.

Stef

Eliot

Eliot

Re: Call about Numerical Methods in Pharo :)

S Krish

Emotional arguments do not change facts.

Contributions of 1000's from 1970's make all of programming languages what they are. Acknowledgement of heritage period. Carry on with the great work, which future generations will acknowledge, even more the contributions of all around Pharo around today, I am sure.

On Sat, Mar 5, 2016 at 1:40 PM, stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

EstebanLM
frankly all this zealot mails do not have any sense.

first, SciSmalltalk is a project made fundamentally by Serge, and is Serge who has pointed he wants a change of name for something sexier… what is the problem?
second, by discussing a nonsense (because is subjective and everybody has a different opinion) you are highjacking the real purpose of this mail: a call to the community to improve the numerical methods support in Pharo.

So, please, can we stay cool and go back to discuss what is really important?

cheers,
Esteban

> On 02 Mar 2016, at 14:33, stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi guys
>
> I met Didier Besset and we had a great hacking session and discussions with Serge Stinckwich.
> Didier would like to help Pharo and the numerical part of it. ***Big thanks*** Didier.
>
> We would like to do several things:
>
>    - Work on "Hows to"
>      The numerical methods in Pharo is good but the gap between us and the math is too large :)
>     so the idea is to have a series of "how to ..."
>            - histomgram (simple, based on distribution)
>
>    - Improve the SciPharo/NumPha (previously SciSmalltalk) library
>    This morning we started to implement a ComponentPrincipalDecomposition by combining two of the
>    objects available in SciPharo.
>        Then we started to enhance the distributions to make sure that we can plug other distribution for having
>        controlled random number.
>
>    - Do a public call to know what is missing for you: this is this mail :)
>    Didier would like to work on concrete cases. I love that attitude
>    So tell us :)
>
>            Hernan ??
>            Alex: ?? pvalue? better distribution?
>            Vincent: covariance? CPA?
>            Philippe: times series
>            Serge R frames?
>            Sami: Better random number and various distributions?
>
>    - Organise a two day lectures with practices on concrete case in September with a recording session.
>    Either at IRD Bondy or Lille.
>
>    - Make sure that the Numerical Method book will get on lulu :) with a better cover and title :)
>

> Stef

Re: [Pharo-users] Call about Numerical Methods in Pharo :)

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 05 Mar 2016, at 11:37, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> frankly all this zealot mails do not have any sense.
>
> first, SciSmalltalk is a project made fundamentally by Serge, and is Serge who has pointed he wants a change of name for something sexier… what is the problem?
> second, by discussing a nonsense (because is subjective and everybody has a different opinion) you are highjacking the real purpose of this mail: a call to the community to improve the numerical methods support in Pharo.
>
> So, please, can we stay cool and go back to discuss what is really important?

+100

> cheers,
> Esteban
>

>> On 02 Mar 2016, at 14:33, stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi guys
>>
>> I met Didier Besset and we had a great hacking session and discussions with Serge Stinckwich.
>> Didier would like to help Pharo and the numerical part of it. ***Big thanks*** Didier.
>>
>> We would like to do several things:
>>
>>   - Work on "Hows to"
>>     The numerical methods in Pharo is good but the gap between us and the math is too large :)
>>    so the idea is to have a series of "how to ..."
>>           - histomgram (simple, based on distribution)
>>
>>   - Improve the SciPharo/NumPha (previously SciSmalltalk) library
>>   This morning we started to implement a ComponentPrincipalDecomposition by combining two of the
>>   objects available in SciPharo.
>>       Then we started to enhance the distributions to make sure that we can plug other distribution for having
>>       controlled random number.
>>
>>   - Do a public call to know what is missing for you: this is this mail :)
>>   Didier would like to work on concrete cases. I love that attitude
>>   So tell us :)
>>
>>           Hernan ??
>>           Alex: ?? pvalue? better distribution?
>>           Vincent: covariance? CPA?
>>           Philippe: times series
>>           Serge R frames?
>>           Sami: Better random number and various distributions?
>>
>>   - Organise a two day lectures with practices on concrete case in September with a recording session.
>>   Either at IRD Bondy or Lille.
>>
>>   - Make sure that the Numerical Method book will get on lulu :) with a better cover and title :)
>>

>> Stef

123