16 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Call for Pharo Support **important**

Stéphane Ducasse
Please distribute this message around

Dear Pharoers

We are pursuing an effort to bring Pharo to the next level: we will set up a consortium of pharo users and industrial partners. Our goal is to build a legal infrastructure that will be able to sustain the development of Pharo and improve its future. As an example, we would like to be able to collect funds (ways as to be determined - we foresee a membership model or moral license) to pay engineering tasks to be performed such as improving the virtual machine, network libraries, better JIT support. To make it short we would like to give a chance to our community to grow and structure itself so that Pharo can get stronger and that risk (truck factor) gets minimized.

We are contacting you to know if your company/research group would be interested to support such effort. Showing such interest is strategically important for us and INRIA which could also support such effort. Attached is the letter of support that we will collect once signed and scanned ( [hidden email] / faxed at: 00 33 (0)3 59 57 78 50)

Thanks for your support

The Pharo Board

M. Denker, S. Ducasse, and  A. Lienhard

Pharo-LetterOfSupport-EN.doc (43K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Call for Pharo Support **important**

Adrian Lienhard
BTW, the call is also online at http://pharo-project.org/community/consortium

Adrian

On Feb 15, 2011, at 14:02 , Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Please distribute this message around
>
>
> Dear Pharoers
>
> We are pursuing an effort to bring Pharo to the next level: we will set up a consortium of pharo users and industrial partners. Our goal is to build a legal infrastructure that will be able to sustain the development of Pharo and improve its future. As an example, we would like to be able to collect funds (ways as to be determined - we foresee a membership model or moral license) to pay engineering tasks to be performed such as improving the virtual machine, network libraries, better JIT support. To make it short we would like to give a chance to our community to grow and structure itself so that Pharo can get stronger and that risk (truck factor) gets minimized.
>
> We are contacting you to know if your company/research group would be interested to support such effort. Showing such interest is strategically important for us and INRIA which could also support such effort. Attached is the letter of support that we will collect once signed and scanned ( [hidden email] / faxed at: 00 33 (0)3 59 57 78 50)
>
> Thanks for your support
>
> The Pharo Board
>
> M. Denker, S. Ducasse, and  A. Lienhard
>
>
> <Pharo-LetterOfSupport-EN.doc>

Reply | Threaded
|

Johan Brichau-2
This is a good effort. I have the letter ready for submission.

May I ask what the 'conditions for membership' are likely to be? By signing the letter, we acknowledge our intent to join the consortium 'subject to the conditions for membership'. I would at least like to know what these are ;-)

Johan

On 15 Feb 2011, at 15:49, Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> BTW, the call is also online at http://pharo-project.org/community/consortium
>
> Adrian
>
> On Feb 15, 2011, at 14:02 , Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> Please distribute this message around
>>
>>
>> Dear Pharoers
>>
>> We are pursuing an effort to bring Pharo to the next level: we will set up a consortium of pharo users and industrial partners. Our goal is to build a legal infrastructure that will be able to sustain the development of Pharo and improve its future. As an example, we would like to be able to collect funds (ways as to be determined - we foresee a membership model or moral license) to pay engineering tasks to be performed such as improving the virtual machine, network libraries, better JIT support. To make it short we would like to give a chance to our community to grow and structure itself so that Pharo can get stronger and that risk (truck factor) gets minimized.
>>
>> We are contacting you to know if your company/research group would be interested to support such effort. Showing such interest is strategically important for us and INRIA which could also support such effort. Attached is the letter of support that we will collect once signed and scanned ( [hidden email] / faxed at: 00 33 (0)3 59 57 78 50)
>>
>> Thanks for your support
>>
>> The Pharo Board
>>
>> M. Denker, S. Ducasse, and  A. Lienhard
>>
>>
>> <Pharo-LetterOfSupport-EN.doc>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Stéphane Ducasse

On Feb 16, 2011, at 10:37 AM, Johan Brichau wrote:

> This is a good effort. I have the letter ready for submission.

Thanks Johan!!!
>
> May I ask what the 'conditions for membership' are likely to be? By signing the letter, we acknowledge our intent to join the consortium 'subject to the conditions for membership'. I would at least like to know what these are ;-)

The idea is that we do not know. We are prospecting to see if this is worth the pain (I believ it does but chekcing is always better).
I thought that the english ('subject to the conditions for membership') wanted to say that depending on the condition
so may be I should change the letter to make this part clearer.

>
> Johan
>
> On 15 Feb 2011, at 15:49, Adrian Lienhard wrote:
>
>> BTW, the call is also online at http://pharo-project.org/community/consortium
>>
>> Adrian
>>
>> On Feb 15, 2011, at 14:02 , Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>>> Please distribute this message around
>>>
>>>
>>> Dear Pharoers
>>>
>>> We are pursuing an effort to bring Pharo to the next level: we will set up a consortium of pharo users and industrial partners. Our goal is to build a legal infrastructure that will be able to sustain the development of Pharo and improve its future. As an example, we would like to be able to collect funds (ways as to be determined - we foresee a membership model or moral license) to pay engineering tasks to be performed such as improving the virtual machine, network libraries, better JIT support. To make it short we would like to give a chance to our community to grow and structure itself so that Pharo can get stronger and that risk (truck factor) gets minimized.
>>>
>>> We are contacting you to know if your company/research group would be interested to support such effort. Showing such interest is strategically important for us and INRIA which could also support such effort. Attached is the letter of support that we will collect once signed and scanned ( [hidden email] / faxed at: 00 33 (0)3 59 57 78 50)
>>>
>>> Thanks for your support
>>>
>>> The Pharo Board
>>>
>>> M. Denker, S. Ducasse, and  A. Lienhard
>>>
>>>
>>> <Pharo-LetterOfSupport-EN.doc>
>>
>>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Stéphane Ducasse
In reply to this post by Johan Brichau-2

would something like that more readable?

On Feb 16, 2011, at 10:37 AM, Johan Brichau wrote:

> This is a good effort. I have the letter ready for submission.
>
> May I ask what the 'conditions for membership' are likely to be? By signing the letter, we acknowledge our intent to join the consortium 'subject to the conditions for membership'. I would at least like to know what these are ;-)
>
> Johan
>
> On 15 Feb 2011, at 15:49, Adrian Lienhard wrote:
>
>> BTW, the call is also online at http://pharo-project.org/community/consortium
>>
>> Adrian
>>
>> On Feb 15, 2011, at 14:02 , Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>>> Please distribute this message around
>>>
>>>
>>> Dear Pharoers
>>>
>>> We are pursuing an effort to bring Pharo to the next level: we will set up a consortium of pharo users and industrial partners. Our goal is to build a legal infrastructure that will be able to sustain the development of Pharo and improve its future. As an example, we would like to be able to collect funds (ways as to be determined - we foresee a membership model or moral license) to pay engineering tasks to be performed such as improving the virtual machine, network libraries, better JIT support. To make it short we would like to give a chance to our community to grow and structure itself so that Pharo can get stronger and that risk (truck factor) gets minimized.
>>>
>>> We are contacting you to know if your company/research group would be interested to support such effort. Showing such interest is strategically important for us and INRIA which could also support such effort. Attached is the letter of support that we will collect once signed and scanned ( [hidden email] / faxed at: 00 33 (0)3 59 57 78 50)
>>>
>>>
>>> The Pharo Board
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> <Pharo-LetterOfSupport-EN.doc>
>>
>>
>
>

Pharo-LetterOfSupport-EN-V2.doc (43K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
|

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Stef,

The revised language is much improved.  I too am curious about what you have in mind on the conditions.  Are you looking for support from institutions or individuals?  I assume both, but the thresholds would be different for UF than for me by myself.

Bill

Sent: Wednesday, February 16, 2011 5:00 AM
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [Pharo-project] Call for Pharo Support **important**

Reply | Threaded
|

Stéphane Ducasse

On Feb 16, 2011, at 12:59 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> Stef,
>
> The revised language is much improved.

tx

>  I too am curious about what you have in mind on the conditions.

We do not know. :) just fuzzy ideas.
We will decide with the community. Because the point is that this is not our stuff but a tool that should serve the community.
We were thinking
        - individual memberships
        - company memberships
        - institution memberships
or/and a moral license so that you can buy pharo and a guy like igor/esteban can get pay to improve the infrastructure.
or a bounty (but a moral license is good since it does not bind the task).

>  Are you looking for support from institutions or individuals?  I assume both, but the thresholds would be different for UF than for me by myself.

Yes both. This would be excellent.

Recently I was asking myself three essential questions beside having a market: ok we have a client so what
        - how do you control quality/process?
        - how do you control that your runtime engine is ok/safe/longlasting (else better take java vms there are plenty)
        - how do you reduce risk like truck factor in your community.

Our main point is how can we minimize risk: I'm thinking to participate to a startup around a pharo software  and here is a simple
simple scenario:  imagine that eliot gets hired by XXAS to do javascript/ruby whatever and andreas (which does not reply to my mails
because I'm probably too insignificant) goes waco and that ian only shows up every three years instead of every year.
do you think that it is wise for companies to invest in an open-source smalltalk?
I would not. Now if we have a consortium, a build process, a quality process and one or two guys payed by the community
to improve continously the system more than we can. Then this is a message I can understand as an investor.

Since we want to make sure that you all can do business we want to reduce risk and provide a good case for process, quality and the
rest.

Stef

>
> Bill
>
>
>
> ________________________________________
> From: [hidden email] [[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Stéphane Ducasse [[hidden email]]
> Sent: Wednesday, February 16, 2011 5:00 AM
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Pharo-project] Call for Pharo Support **important**
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Miguel Cobá

Ok, I understand the goal. Count me in.

El mié, 16-02-2011 a las 13:52 +0100, Stéphane Ducasse escribió:

> On Feb 16, 2011, at 12:59 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
>
> > Stef,
> >
> > The revised language is much improved.
>
> tx
>
> >  I too am curious about what you have in mind on the conditions.
>
> We do not know. :) just fuzzy ideas.
> We will decide with the community. Because the point is that this is not our stuff but a tool that should serve the community.
> We were thinking
> - individual memberships
> - company memberships
> - institution memberships
> or/and a moral license so that you can buy pharo and a guy like igor/esteban can get pay to improve the infrastructure.
> or a bounty (but a moral license is good since it does not bind the task).
>
>
> >  Are you looking for support from institutions or individuals?  I assume both, but the thresholds would be different for UF than for me by myself.
>
> Yes both. This would be excellent.
>
> Recently I was asking myself three essential questions beside having a market: ok we have a client so what
> - how do you control quality/process?
> - how do you control that your runtime engine is ok/safe/longlasting (else better take java vms there are plenty)
> - how do you reduce risk like truck factor in your community.
>
> Our main point is how can we minimize risk: I'm thinking to participate to a startup around a pharo software  and here is a simple
> simple scenario:  imagine that eliot gets hired by XXAS to do javascript/ruby whatever and andreas (which does not reply to my mails
> because I'm probably too insignificant) goes waco and that ian only shows up every three years instead of every year.
> do you think that it is wise for companies to invest in an open-source smalltalk?
> I would not. Now if we have a consortium, a build process, a quality process and one or two guys payed by the community
> to improve continously the system more than we can. Then this is a message I can understand as an investor.
>
> Since we want to make sure that you all can do business we want to reduce risk and provide a good case for process, quality and the
> rest.
>
>
> Stef
>
>
>
> >
> > Bill
> >
> >
> >
> > ________________________________________
> > From: [hidden email] [[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Stéphane Ducasse [[hidden email]]
> > Sent: Wednesday, February 16, 2011 5:00 AM
> > To: [hidden email]
> > Subject: Re: [Pharo-project] Call for Pharo Support **important**
> >
>
>

--
Miguel Cobá
http://twitter.com/MiguelCobaMtz
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Reply | Threaded
|

Stéphane Ducasse
Thanks miguel follow the process sign the letter and send it to me.

On Feb 16, 2011, at 7:32 PM, Miguel Cobá wrote:

>
> Ok, I understand the goal. Count me in.
>
> El mié, 16-02-2011 a las 13:52 +0100, Stéphane Ducasse escribió:
>> On Feb 16, 2011, at 12:59 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
>>
>>> Stef,
>>>
>>> The revised language is much improved.
>>
>> tx
>>
>>> I too am curious about what you have in mind on the conditions.
>>
>> We do not know. :) just fuzzy ideas.
>> We will decide with the community. Because the point is that this is not our stuff but a tool that should serve the community.
>> We were thinking
>> - individual memberships
>> - company memberships
>> - institution memberships
>> or/and a moral license so that you can buy pharo and a guy like igor/esteban can get pay to improve the infrastructure.
>> or a bounty (but a moral license is good since it does not bind the task).
>>
>>
>>> Are you looking for support from institutions or individuals?  I assume both, but the thresholds would be different for UF than for me by myself.
>>
>> Yes both. This would be excellent.
>>
>> Recently I was asking myself three essential questions beside having a market: ok we have a client so what
>> - how do you control quality/process?
>> - how do you control that your runtime engine is ok/safe/longlasting (else better take java vms there are plenty)
>> - how do you reduce risk like truck factor in your community.
>>
>> Our main point is how can we minimize risk: I'm thinking to participate to a startup around a pharo software  and here is a simple
>> simple scenario:  imagine that eliot gets hired by XXAS to do javascript/ruby whatever and andreas (which does not reply to my mails
>> because I'm probably too insignificant) goes waco and that ian only shows up every three years instead of every year.
>> do you think that it is wise for companies to invest in an open-source smalltalk?
>> I would not. Now if we have a consortium, a build process, a quality process and one or two guys payed by the community
>> to improve continously the system more than we can. Then this is a message I can understand as an investor.
>>
>> Since we want to make sure that you all can do business we want to reduce risk and provide a good case for process, quality and the
>> rest.
>>
>>
>> Stef
>>
>>
>>
>>>
>>> Bill
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> ________________________________________
>>> From: [hidden email] [[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Stéphane Ducasse [[hidden email]]
>>> Sent: Wednesday, February 16, 2011 5:00 AM
>>> To: [hidden email]
>>> Subject: Re: [Pharo-project] Call for Pharo Support **important**
>>>
>>
>>
>
> --
> Miguel Cobá
> http://twitter.com/MiguelCobaMtz
> http://miguel.leugim.com.mx
>
>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: [Pharo-users] Call for Pharo Support **important**

Tudor Girba
In reply to this post by Stéphane Ducasse
The reason I am asking is that in the text you say "if your company/research group would be interested", which tends to not invite individuals.

Ok, so individuals should sign it, too?

Cheers,
Doru

On 16 Feb 2011, at 23:01, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> both
> this is a user and industrial consortium.
> may be I'm a dreamer but I would like something open to the community in general.
>
>
> Stef
>
> On Feb 16, 2011, at 10:11 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:
>
>> Just a question: are you interested only in companies/groups or also individuals?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>
>>
>> On 16 Feb 2011, at 16:38, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Pharoers
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> The Pharo Board
>>>
>>>
>>> <Pharo-LetterOfSupport-EN-V2.doc>
>>
>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "Presenting is storytelling."
>>
>>
>
>

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Value is always contextual."

Reply | Threaded
|

Stéphane Ducasse

On Feb 16, 2011, at 11:28 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:

> The reason I am asking is that in the text you say "if your company/research group would be interested", which tends to not invite individuals.
>
> Ok, so individuals should sign it, too?

yes

>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>
>
> On 16 Feb 2011, at 23:01, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> both
>> this is a user and industrial consortium.
>> may be I'm a dreamer but I would like something open to the community in general.
>>
>>
>> Stef
>>
>> On Feb 16, 2011, at 10:11 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:
>>
>>> Just a question: are you interested only in companies/groups or also individuals?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru
>>>
>>>
>>> On 16 Feb 2011, at 16:38, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>>
>>>> Dear Pharoers
>>>>
>>>> We are pursuing an effort to bring Pharo to the next level: we will set up a consortium of pharo users and industrial partners. Our goal is to build a legal infrastructure that will be able to sustain the development of Pharo and improve its future. As an example, we would like to be able to collect funds (ways as to be determined - we foresee a membership model or moral license) to pay engineering tasks to be performed such as improving the virtual machine, network libraries, better JIT support. To make it short we would like to give a chance to our community to grow and structure itself so that Pharo can get stronger and that risk (truck factor) gets minimized.
>>>>
>>>> We are contacting you to know if your company/research group would be interested to support such effort. Showing such interest is strategically important for us and INRIA which could also support such effort. Attached is the letter of support that we will collect once signed and scanned ( [hidden email] / faxed at: 00 33 (0)3 59 57 78 50)
>>>>
>>>> Thanks for your support
>>>>
>>>> The Pharo Board
>>>>
>>>> M. Denker, S. Ducasse, and  A. Lienhard
>>>>
>>>> <Pharo-LetterOfSupport-EN-V2.doc>
>>>
>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>>
>>> "Presenting is storytelling."
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Value is always contextual."
>
>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi davorin
It says that you would consider paying a membership if this one is ok for you but that the membership
would have to be clear. So this is just a letter of support. Your are not tying yourself.
We will decide together the model because we should like that everybody can contribute.

Now for us this is an important tool because we can seize the community to see if we could collect
money to pay an engineer like igor full-time, half time....

Stef

> I am not expert in legalize, does signing of this letter imply some
> financial commitment on part of the signer, or it is just "Pharo is
> great and we would like to use it" kind of letter?
>
> Many thanks!
>
> Davorin Rusevljan
> http://www.cloud208.com/

Reply | Threaded
|

NorbertHartl
Of course I'm willing to sign, too. But to be honest I don't understand the meaning of "...in my capacity of.."

Norbert

On 15.02.2011, at 14:02, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Please distribute this message around
>
>
> Dear Pharoers
>
> We are pursuing an effort to bring Pharo to the next level: we will set up a consortium of pharo users and industrial partners. Our goal is to build a legal infrastructure that will be able to sustain the development of Pharo and improve its future. As an example, we would like to be able to collect funds (ways as to be determined - we foresee a membership model or moral license) to pay engineering tasks to be performed such as improving the virtual machine, network libraries, better JIT support. To make it short we would like to give a chance to our community to grow and structure itself so that Pharo can get stronger and that risk (truck factor) gets minimized.
>
> We are contacting you to know if your company/research group would be interested to support such effort. Showing such interest is strategically important for us and INRIA which could also support such effort. Attached is the letter of support that we will collect once signed and scanned ( [hidden email] / faxed at: 00 33 (0)3 59 57 78 50)
>
> Thanks for your support
>
> The Pharo Board
>
> M. Denker, S. Ducasse, and  A. Lienhard
>
>
> <Pharo-LetterOfSupport-EN.doc>

Reply | Threaded
|

Stéphane Ducasse

On Feb 18, 2011, at 10:50 AM, Norbert Hartl wrote:

> Of course I'm willing to sign, too. But to be honest I don't understand the meaning of "...in my capacity of.."

what are you in the company kind of

Inria gave me doc from another consortium :) so I thought it was ok.

Stef
Reply | Threaded
|

S Krish
Count me in. What is the formality in sign n dispatch of the letter

Sudhakar krishnamachari

Extn 91-40403012
Cell 9902104814

On Feb 18, 2011, at 1:43 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi davorin
> It says that you would consider paying a membership if this one is ok for you but that the membership
> would have to be clear. So this is just a letter of support. Your are not tying yourself.
> We will decide together the model because we should like that everybody can contribute.
>
> Now for us this is an important tool because we can seize the community to see if we could collect
> money to pay an engineer like igor full-time, half time....
>
> Stef
>
>
>> I am not expert in legalize, does signing of this letter imply some
>> financial commitment on part of the signer, or it is just "Pharo is
>> great and we would like to use it" kind of letter?
>>
>> Many thanks!
>>
>> Davorin Rusevljan
>> http://www.cloud208.com/
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Stéphane Ducasse

On Feb 19, 2011, at 5:35 AM, Krishsmalltalk wrote:

> Count me in.

Excellent!

> What is the formality in sign n dispatch of the letter

just sign it and scanned/fax it to me.

>
> Sudhakar krishnamachari
>
> Extn 91-40403012
> Cell 9902104814
>
>
>
> On Feb 18, 2011, at 1:43 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi davorin
>> It says that you would consider paying a membership if this one is ok for you but that the membership
>> would have to be clear. So this is just a letter of support. Your are not tying yourself.
>> We will decide together the model because we should like that everybody can contribute.
>>
>> Now for us this is an important tool because we can seize the community to see if we could collect
>> money to pay an engineer like igor full-time, half time....
>>
>> Stef
>>
>>
>>> I am not expert in legalize, does signing of this letter imply some
>>> financial commitment on part of the signer, or it is just "Pharo is
>>> great and we would like to use it" kind of letter?
>>>
>>> Many thanks!
>>>
>>> Davorin Rusevljan
>>> http://www.cloud208.com/
>>
>>
>