Call for fixing the network problem

Adrian Lienhard
To release Pharo 1.0, we need to fix the network problem:

Anyone volunteers to help? I can allocate some time but would welcome if somebody would team up to get rid of this issue.

Cheers,
Adrian

Re: Call for fixing the network problem

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Do the comments in the tracker reflect "everything" that has been tried and not worked?  That would seem to be an important list.  I'll take a look at it later today.  I saw mention that all is well in the core; is that true?

When I last looked into this, there were still paths to ipv6 primitives not protected by a check on #useOldNetwork - given how the old network flag was set at the time, that was a sure sign of trouble.  Gotta run.

Bill

Re: Call for fixing the network problem

Adrian Lienhard
I've updated the issue with an error report and comments posted to the mailing list.

Adrian

On Mar 1, 2010, at 13:26 , Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> Do the comments in the tracker reflect "everything" that has been tried and not worked?  That would seem to be an important list.  I'll take a look at it later today.  I saw mention that all is well in the core; is that true?
>
> When I last looked into this, there were still paths to ipv6 primitives not protected by a check on #useOldNetwork - given how the old network flag was set at the time, that was a sure sign of trouble.  Gotta run.
>
> Bill

Miguel Cobá
El lun, 01-03-2010 a las 13:21 +0100, Adrian Lienhard escribió:

I haven't had time to test the last change you proposed, but I was
thinking that:

1. Test in squeak and if it works, borrow the code from Networking and
apply it in Pharo.
2. Revert to previous Networking in Pharo.

That depends on how many users are affected by this new code, and the
old code.

BTW, can someone summary the problems that the old code had and why the
new changes were made?
So that we can decide?

Cheers
--
Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: Call for fixing the network problem

Michael Roberts-2
I think one of the problems is that the two networking solutions
attempt to coexist (old, new) but the old is not really the *old*
version.  If you look through old Pharo images e.g #10201
NetNameResolver just answered the result of the prim calls which was a
ByteArray.  By #10268 we have the new infrastructure, but if i set
useOldNetwork to true, it doesn't work as far back as then. So the
introduction of SocketAddress doesn't look compatible in #10268 with
the 'old' method let alone 10508rc2. Or am I missing a change in the
VM or something?...

thanks,
Mike