Call for help for stability and rewrite of FreeType

Call for help for stability and rewrite of FreeType

Stephane Ducasse-3
Hi all

I'm and I guess many of you are fedup about the instability that the
FreeType plugin
produces.

So we need help because clement and esteban are fully booked.

We have three options:

Does anybody

Re: Call for help for stability and rewrite of FreeType

Stephane Ducasse-3
(Ok so continuing with this superb gmail UI)

- drop Freetype alltogether
- rewrite the plugin
- create a binding using raffaillac sketch

Now we need help. Who is willing to help us?
Should we try to set up a bounty?

Stef

On Sat, Oct 28, 2017 at 10:48 AM, Stephane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I'm and I guess many of you are fedup about the instability that the
> FreeType plugin
> produces.
>
> So we need help because clement and esteban are fully booked.
>
> We have three options:
>

> Does anybody
>

> Stef

Re: Call for help for stability and rewrite of FreeType

Stephane Ducasse-3
Hi guys

Since this email got zero reaction,
I suggest that we remove the FreeType plugin.

Stef

On Sat, Oct 28, 2017 at 11:14 AM, Stephane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> (Ok so continuing with this superb gmail UI)
>

> - drop Freetype alltogether
> - rewrite the plugin
> - create a binding using raffaillac sketch
>
> Now we need help. Who is willing to help us?
> Should we try to set up a bounty?
>
> Stef
>

> On Sat, Oct 28, 2017 at 10:48 AM, Stephane Ducasse
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> I'm and I guess many of you are fedup about the instability that the
>> FreeType plugin
>> produces.
>>
>> So we need help because clement and esteban are fully booked.
>>
>> We have three options:
>>

>> Does anybody
>>

>> Stef

Re: Call for help for stability and rewrite of FreeType

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Stephane Ducasse-3 wrote
> I suggest that we remove the FreeType plugin.

How will that effect non-Latin users? For example, is it possible to work
with Chinese characters without it?

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: Call for help for stability and rewrite of FreeType

Stephane Ducasse-3
Personally now I do not care because I cannot continue to work with a
system that I have to save after every accept.
This is totally insane.
Thomas on Ubuntu CANNOT even open Pharo. I'm on mac.
Pharo just crashes all the time for me.
I just crashed before committing again! This bug is KILLING our credibility.
I can also drop Pharo 60 70 and go to work in Pharo 50!
But then do not count on me to improve anything on Pharo for a while
(and may be this is the solution after all
working on my own little programs is really tempting).

Stef

On Sun, Nov 5, 2017 at 10:04 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Stephane Ducasse-3 wrote
>> I suggest that we remove the FreeType plugin.
>
> How will that effect non-Latin users? For example, is it possible to work
> with Chinese characters without it?
>

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean
> --
> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Developers-f1294837.html

Re: Call for help for stability and rewrite of FreeType

Ronie Salgado
Hi Stef,

I can try to continue what Thibault started. Give me two weeks.

Best regards,
Ronie

Personally now I do not care because I cannot continue to work with a
system that I have to save after every accept.
This is totally insane.
Thomas on Ubuntu CANNOT even open Pharo. I'm on mac.
Pharo just crashes all the time for me.
I just crashed before committing again! This bug is KILLING our credibility.
I can also drop Pharo 60 70 and go to work in Pharo 50!
But then do not count on me to improve anything on Pharo for a while
(and may be this is the solution after all
working on my own little programs is really tempting).

Stef

On Sun, Nov 5, 2017 at 10:04 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Stephane Ducasse-3 wrote
>> I suggest that we remove the FreeType plugin.
>
> How will that effect non-Latin users? For example, is it possible to work
> with Chinese characters without it?
>

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean
> --
> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Developers-f1294837.html

Re: Call for help for stability and rewrite of FreeType

Tudor Girba-2
Thanks, Ronie.

Cheers,
Doru

> On Nov 5, 2017, at 11:05 PM, Ronie Salgado <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Stef,
>
> I can try to continue what Thibault started. Give me two weeks.
>
> Best regards,
> Ronie

> Personally now I do not care because I cannot continue to work with a
> system that I have to save after every accept.
> This is totally insane.
> Thomas on Ubuntu CANNOT even open Pharo. I'm on mac.
> Pharo just crashes all the time for me.
> I just crashed before committing again! This bug is KILLING our credibility.
> I can also drop Pharo 60 70 and go to work in Pharo 50!
> But then do not count on me to improve anything on Pharo for a while
> (and may be this is the solution after all
> working on my own little programs is really tempting).
>
> Stef
>
> On Sun, Nov 5, 2017 at 10:04 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Stephane Ducasse-3 wrote
> >> I suggest that we remove the FreeType plugin.
> >
> > How will that effect non-Latin users? For example, is it possible to work
> > with Chinese characters without it?
> >

> > -----
> > Cheers,
> > Sean