Call for little tasks for GCI

Stephane Ducasse-3
Hi guys

We want to compete to a competition for newbies programming.
We need to have at least 50 tasks.
Right now the tasks are quite difficult to me :)

Please help to get some tasks.

I can be taken from exercisism.io or other little math problems.

- Grab the Pharo logo from url and display it
- We can turn some of the mooc challenges into tasks.
http://mooc.pharo.org

I have some ideas but I need your help because I want to finish the
new chapter and book.

https://github.com/jigyasa-grover/GCI-2017-with-Pharo

Re: Call for little tasks for GCI

hernanmd
Hi Stef

> Hi guys
>
> We want to compete to a competition for newbies programming.
> We need to have at least 50 tasks.
> Right now the tasks are quite difficult to me :)
>
> Please help to get some tasks.
>
> I can be taken from exercisism.io or other little math problems.
>
> - Grab the Pharo logo from url and display it
> - We can turn some of the mooc challenges into tasks.
> http://mooc.pharo.org
>
> I have some ideas but I need your help because I want to finish the
> new chapter and book.

So the idea is to create exercises that newbie programming students
should resolve.

Like the ones in https://codegolf.stackexchange.com/ ?

Do the problems need a time constraint?

> https://github.com/jigyasa-grover/GCI-2017-with-Pharo

That link gave me 404 error

> Stef

Re: Call for little tasks for GCI

Jigyasa Grover
Hello hernanmd,

Please check out the link to the repository
(github.com/jigyasa-grover/GCI-2017-with-Pharo) it should work for you, I
added you as a collaborator.

For more details on the contest and type of tasks to be created, please
refer:
1. Resources in the repository
2. Invitation Letter
(http://forum.world.st/Let-s-prepare-for-Google-Code-In-2017-with-Pharo-Consortium-td4966890.html)

Looking forward to significant contributions from your side !

Best Regrads
Jigyasa Grover

Re: Call for little tasks for GCI

philippeback
What about

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=<sqlite3place>;$LD_LIBRARYPATH  ./pharo-ui some.image

Phil

On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 7:41 PM, Jigyasa Grover <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello hernanmd,

Please check out the link to the repository
(github.com/jigyasa-grover/GCI-2017-with-Pharo) it should work for you, I
added you as a collaborator.

For more details on the contest and type of tasks to be created, please
refer:
1. Resources in the repository
2. Invitation Letter
(http://forum.world.st/Let-s-prepare-for-Google-Code-In-2017-with-Pharo-Consortium-td4966890.html)

Looking forward to significant contributions from your side !

Best Regrads
Jigyasa Grover

Re: Call for little tasks for GCI

hernanmd
Hi Jigyasa,

Thank you for the invitation. I read the letter, it looks interesting
for me to participate.

However I have a question about how the students can solve the exercises.
Are they allowed to use any library or just limited to the packages
distributed in the standard Pharo image?

Cheers,

Hernán

> Hello hernanmd,
>
> Please check out the link to the repository
> (github.com/jigyasa-grover/GCI-2017-with-Pharo) it should work for you, I
> added you as a collaborator.
>
> For more details on the contest and type of tasks to be created, please
> refer:
> 1. Resources in the repository
> 2. Invitation Letter
> (http://forum.world.st/Let-s-prepare-for-Google-Code-In-2017-with-Pharo-Consortium-td4966890.html)
>
> Looking forward to significant contributions from your side !
>
> Best Regrads
> Jigyasa Grover
>

> --
> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Developers-f1294837.html

Re: Call for little tasks for GCI

Stephane Ducasse-3
Hernan

What we should see is that students will barely know how to program.
So any solution is good.
I think that we should ask really simple task.

Stef

On Fri, Sep 29, 2017 at 7:19 AM, Hernán Morales Durand
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Jigyasa,
>
> Thank you for the invitation. I read the letter, it looks interesting
> for me to participate.
>
> However I have a question about how the students can solve the exercises.
> Are they allowed to use any library or just limited to the packages
> distributed in the standard Pharo image?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Hernán

>> Hello hernanmd,
>>
>> Please check out the link to the repository
>> (github.com/jigyasa-grover/GCI-2017-with-Pharo) it should work for you, I
>> added you as a collaborator.
>>
>> For more details on the contest and type of tasks to be created, please
>> refer:
>> 1. Resources in the repository
>> 2. Invitation Letter
>> (http://forum.world.st/Let-s-prepare-for-Google-Code-In-2017-with-Pharo-Consortium-td4966890.html)
>>
>> Looking forward to significant contributions from your side !
>>
>> Best Regrads
>> Jigyasa Grover
>>

>> --
>> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Developers-f1294837.html

Re: Call for little tasks for GCI

Stephane Ducasse-3
I will turn the mooc challenges into tasks.

On Fri, Sep 29, 2017 at 8:29 AM, Stephane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hernan
>
> What we should see is that students will barely know how to program.
> So any solution is good.
> I think that we should ask really simple task.
>
> Stef
>
> On Fri, Sep 29, 2017 at 7:19 AM, Hernán Morales Durand
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Jigyasa,
>>
>> Thank you for the invitation. I read the letter, it looks interesting
>> for me to participate.
>>
>> However I have a question about how the students can solve the exercises.
>> Are they allowed to use any library or just limited to the packages
>> distributed in the standard Pharo image?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Hernán

>>> Hello hernanmd,
>>>
>>> Please check out the link to the repository
>>> (github.com/jigyasa-grover/GCI-2017-with-Pharo) it should work for you, I
>>> added you as a collaborator.
>>>
>>> For more details on the contest and type of tasks to be created, please
>>> refer:
>>> 1. Resources in the repository
>>> 2. Invitation Letter
>>> (http://forum.world.st/Let-s-prepare-for-Google-Code-In-2017-with-Pharo-Consortium-td4966890.html)
>>>
>>> Looking forward to significant contributions from your side !
>>>
>>> Best Regrads
>>> Jigyasa Grover
>>>

>>> --
>>> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Developers-f1294837.html

Re: Call for little tasks for GCI

Jigyasa Grover
Hernan

As Stephane mentioned the tasks should be really simple and engaging.

They need not be only programming, they should include designing (icons,
banners, posters), writing documentations/blog-posts, interviewing someone,
introducing someone to Pharo, making videos/screencasts, etc. The more fun
the tasks are, the more students we shall get to be involved in Pharo :)

Stephane, thanks for adding tasks in the list. I shall add some more of them
as well...

Thank You everyone !

Best
Jigyasa Grover

Re: Call for little tasks for GCI

Stephane Ducasse-3
We should add more tasks about design

I would like have a little database of icons related to sea, boat, islands....
And we have a basis of them already

stef