Call for suggestions: Morph has 997 methods

Call for suggestions: Morph has 997 methods

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi guys

It would be great if we could assess Morphic fat.
I think that with 997 methods not counting the MorphExtension class,
we should be able to
clean Morph and friend.
So if you see passing unused, useless, broken Morph code please report
it

Re: Call for suggestions: Morph has 997 methods

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Stef,

One interesting idea that I saw mentioned a long time ago was to create a new set of classes that use DNU as a prompt to grab the missing method from the corresponding morph class.  After a while, it should converge on a minimal set of methods, at least as written.

Another thing: the Guzdial and Rose book contains "Back to the Future Once More" that contains a statement of intent to replace morphic with something better.  I further recall some mention of replacing morphic's use of global coordinates with morph-local coordinates, though I do not recall where I read that.

Bill

It would be great if we could assess Morphic fat.
I think that with 997 methods not counting the MorphExtension class, we should be able to clean Morph and friend.
So if you see passing unused, useless, broken Morph code please report it Stef

On Jun 7, 2009, at 10:02 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> Stef,
>
> One interesting idea that I saw mentioned a long time ago was to
> create a new set of classes that use DNU as a prompt to grab the
> missing method from the corresponding morph class.  After a while,
> it should converge on a minimal set of methods, at least as written.

I did it :)
But it crashed.
I did the same with mw and I got 600 methods when opening and closing
methods.

> Another thing: the Guzdial and Rose book contains "Back to the
> Future Once More" that contains a statement of intent to replace
> morphic with something better.  I further recall some mention of
> replacing morphic's use of global coordinates with morph-local
> coordinates, though I do not recall where I read that.

yes but we need a good soul to implement it: lessphic

But first cleaning unused or not useful would be also good.

stef

lessphic.pdf (400K) Download Attachment