Call for synchronization with OB tools

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi all

I'm totally confused about the state of the OB tools and this is not a
good point.
So which version are loaded in pharo?
What is the status of these versions?

For the pharo book we are stuck because the chapters were using the
package browser
but now we cannot load it.
Who controls what is loaded as OB tools?

Stef (quite worried).

Re: Call for synchronization with OB tools

csrabak

I would like to profit from the hook and think aloud the following: should we have in Pharo a sensible mechanism for knowing the version of the tools in general?

SomePharoTool version could return a version string?

Em 17/08/2009 06:06, Stéphane Ducasse < [hidden email] > escreveu:

Hi all

I'm totally confused about the state of the OB tools and this is not a
good point.
So which version are loaded in pharo?
What is the status of these versions?

For the pharo book we are stuck because the chapters were using the
package browser
but now we cannot load it.
Who controls what is loaded as OB tools?

Stef (quite worried).

Re: Call for synchronization with OB tools

Damien Cassou
Hi Stef,

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 11:06 AM, Stéphane
Ducasse<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm totally confused about the state of the OB tools and this is not a
> good point.
> So which version are loaded in pharo?

Download Pharo and open a Monticello browser. You can also have a look
at the script which generates the image and which is included in all
Pharo archives:

instClass lukas
          project: 'omnibrowser';
          install: 'OmniBrowser';
          install: 'OB-Standard';
          install: 'OB-Morphic';
          install: 'OB-SUnitIntegration'.

> What is the status of these versions?

Works quite fine at least for Lukas and me :-).

> For the pharo book we are stuck because the chapters were using the
> package browser
> but now we cannot load it.

You can load it, but not in a Pharo image, you have to use a Core. I
hope David and Colin will do something about this. At some point, you
will have to decide what to include in Pharo. You decided to include
the package browser, then you changed your mind and decided to include
the classical category browser. This is exactly what I did.

> Who controls what is loaded as OB tools?

I ask people and I change the script depending on people wishes.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: Call for synchronization with OB tools

Stéphane Ducasse
Thanks damien.
I know you did what we asked :)
David and lukas are synchronizing monday.
Right now here is the mail I got from david

> Hi,
>
> the package browser is again loadable also in latest Pharo by
> executing 'ScriptLoader loadOBAlpha'.
> This will load all required packages of OB as the package browser
> needs it. This means that there will be a slighly different OB code
> base in the image than what has been provided by Lukas' OB version.
> This also means that right now we can not use both browsers (Lukas'
> category- and my package based) at the same time.
> Lukas and me will work on making this possible on Monday.
>
> But note that you can use the system (category-based) and the
> package browser based on the OB code base I maintained at the same
> time; I think that's already good. I don't expect Lukas' version of
> the system browser to be much faster.

so we will see.