Call for testers of a faster MC

12

Call for testers of a faster MC

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi guys

thanks to matthew I finally understood his optimization.
The entry point is MCPackage>>snapshot

I published a slice in the inbox.
If you can try it, look at the changes and let me know.

I did some experiences and could load moose which start to be complex
but I may have done some mistakes.

Stef

PS: having real package will really make all that much faster.
I will regularly to the TaskForces the code for a new package class.

Re: Call for testers of a faster MC

Stéphane Ducasse
apparently the UI gets stuck during the cleaning phase when I try to
load moose :(

On Jul 16, 2009, at 8:49 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Hi guys
>
> thanks to matthew I finally understood his optimization.
> The entry point is MCPackage>>snapshot
>
> I published a slice in the inbox.
> If you can try it, look at the changes and let me know.
>
> I did some experiences and could load moose which start to be complex
> but I may have done some mistakes.
>
> Stef
>
> PS: having real package will really make all that much faster.
> I will regularly to the TaskForces the code for a new package class.

Re: Call for testers of a faster MC

Mariano Martinez Peck
Stef....Kirtai was looking you in IRC

[16:39] <Kirtai> is stephanes problem with loading mc due to non-atomicloading changing a method then using it before another method it depends on is compiled?
[17:06] <marianopeck> Kirtai: stef isn't in IRC most of the time
[17:07] <marianopeck> it would be better to send him an email
[17:07] <Kirtai> I'm just lookin at the problem
[17:07] <Kirtai> seems that  MCMethodDefinition>>actualClass is calling MCMethodDefinition>>actualClassIn: after actualClass is recompiled but before actualClassIn: is installed

Mariano

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 7:33 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
apparently the UI gets stuck during the cleaning phase when I try to
load moose :(

On Jul 16, 2009, at 8:49 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Hi guys
>
> thanks to matthew I finally understood his optimization.
> The entry point is MCPackage>>snapshot
>
> I published a slice in the inbox.
> If you can try it, look at the changes and let me know.
>
> I did some experiences and could load moose which start to be complex
> but I may have done some mistakes.
>
> Stef
>
> PS: having real package will really make all that much faster.
> I will regularly to the TaskForces the code for a new package class.

Re: Call for testers of a faster MC

Stéphane Ducasse
thanks mariano and kirtai.

On Jul 16, 2009, at 10:39 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Stef....Kirtai was looking you in IRC
>
> [16:39] <Kirtai> is stephanes problem with loading mc due to non-
> atomicloading changing a method then using it before another method
> it depends on is compiled?
> [17:06] <marianopeck> Kirtai: stef isn't in IRC most of the time
> [17:07] <marianopeck> it would be better to send him an email
> [17:07] <Kirtai> I'm just lookin at the problem
> [17:07] <Kirtai> seems that  MCMethodDefinition>>actualClass is
> calling MCMethodDefinition>>actualClassIn: after actualClass is
> recompiled but before actualClassIn: is installed

argh!

> Mariano
>
> On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 7:33 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]
> > wrote:
> apparently the UI gets stuck during the cleaning phase when I try to
> load moose :(
>
> On Jul 16, 2009, at 8:49 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
> > Hi guys
> >
> > thanks to matthew I finally understood his optimization.
> > The entry point is MCPackage>>snapshot
> >
> > I published a slice in the inbox.
> > If you can try it, look at the changes and let me know.
> >
> > I did some experiences and could load moose which start to be
> complex
> > but I may have done some mistakes.
> >
> > Stef
> >
> > PS: having real package will really make all that much faster.
> > I will regularly to the TaskForces the code for a new package class.

Re: Call for testers of a faster MC

Douglas Brebner
Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> thanks mariano and kirtai.
>
> On Jul 16, 2009, at 10:39 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>

>> Stef....Kirtai was looking you in IRC
>>
>> [16:39] <Kirtai> is stephanes problem with loading mc due to non-
>> atomicloading changing a method then using it before another method
>> it depends on is compiled?
>> [17:06] <marianopeck> Kirtai: stef isn't in IRC most of the time
>> [17:07] <marianopeck> it would be better to send him an email
>> [17:07] <Kirtai> I'm just lookin at the problem
>> [17:07] <Kirtai> seems that  MCMethodDefinition>>actualClass is
>> calling MCMethodDefinition>>actualClassIn: after actualClass is
>> recompiled but before actualClassIn: is installed
>>

> argh!

Stephane, if you set the following preferences

raiseDepreciatedWarnings=disabled (causes problems due to the Author
initials depreciation)
allowBlockArgumentAssignment=enabled (Breaks a method called
#unloadTraits. A convenience method that isn't used and isn't in the
image after the install is finished)

then you can load MC 1.5 (with updated Installer) by using Keiths LPF
script.

After setting the prefs, do the following:

HTTPSocket httpFileIn: 'ftp.squeak.org/3.11/scripts/LPF.st'.

and it should just work.

Douglas Brebner wrote:

> Stephane, if you set the following preferences
> raiseDepreciatedWarnings=disabled (causes problems due to the Author
> initials depreciation)
> allowBlockArgumentAssignment=enabled (Breaks a method called
> #unloadTraits. A convenience method that isn't used and isn't in the
> image after the install is finished)
>
> then you can load MC 1.5 (with updated Installer) by using Keiths LPF
> script.
>
> After setting the prefs, do the following:
>
> HTTPSocket httpFileIn: 'ftp.squeak.org/3.11/scripts/LPF.st'.
>
> and it should just work.

I know it's bad form to reply to my own mail but there's minor breakage
in that ProjectLauncher>>#startUpAfterLogin throws a DNU by sending
#setupFlaps when you first click on the world after restarting the image.

Re: Call for testers of a faster MC

keith1y
Douglas Brebner wrote:

> Douglas Brebner wrote:
>
>> Stephane, if you set the following preferences
>> raiseDepreciatedWarnings=disabled (causes problems due to the Author
>> initials depreciation)
>> allowBlockArgumentAssignment=enabled (Breaks a method called
>> #unloadTraits. A convenience method that isn't used and isn't in the
>> image after the install is finished)
>>
>> then you can load MC 1.5 (with updated Installer) by using Keiths LPF
>> script.
>>
>> After setting the prefs, do the following:
>>
>> HTTPSocket httpFileIn: 'ftp.squeak.org/3.11/scripts/LPF.st'.
>>
>> and it should just work.
>>

> I know it's bad form to reply to my own mail but there's minor breakage
> in that ProjectLauncher>>#startUpAfterLogin throws a DNU by sending
> #setupFlaps when you first click on the world after restarting the image.

Stef if you want to load the source code direct from an mcz, Installer
can do it as in the following example.

scriptUpgradeMonticelloBootstrap

    (Installer url: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/mc/PackageInfo-Base')
fileInSource.
    (Installer url:
'http://www.squeaksource.com/mc/System-PasswordManager') fileInSource.
    (Installer url: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/mc/', self class
configMCVersion,'.mcz') fileInSource.

This is available in Installer install: 'UpgradeMonticelloBootstrap'.

Damien loads MC1.5 via...

Installer install: 'LevelPlayingField'

this doesnt include Installer-Launcher which causes the above problem.

Keith

Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> thanks mariano and kirtai.
>
> On Jul 16, 2009, at 10:39 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>

>> Stef....Kirtai was looking you in IRC
>>
>> [16:39] <Kirtai> is stephanes problem with loading mc due to non-
>> atomicloading changing a method then using it before another method
>> it depends on is compiled?
>> [17:06] <marianopeck> Kirtai: stef isn't in IRC most of the time
>> [17:07] <marianopeck> it would be better to send him an email
>> [17:07] <Kirtai> I'm just lookin at the problem
>> [17:07] <Kirtai> seems that  MCMethodDefinition>>actualClass is
>> calling MCMethodDefinition>>actualClassIn: after actualClass is
>> recompiled but before actualClassIn: is installed
>>

> argh!

LPF files in the source first as a file in, then as an mc package

Keith

Keith Hodges wrote:

> Stef if you want to load the source code direct from an mcz, Installer
> can do it as in the following example.
>
> scriptUpgradeMonticelloBootstrap
>
>     (Installer url: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/mc/PackageInfo-Base')
> fileInSource.
>     (Installer url:
> 'http://www.squeaksource.com/mc/System-PasswordManager') fileInSource.
>     (Installer url: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/mc/', self class
> configMCVersion,'.mcz') fileInSource.
>
> This is available in Installer install: 'UpgradeMonticelloBootstrap'.
>
> Damien loads MC1.5 via...
>
> Installer install: 'LevelPlayingField'
>
> this doesnt include Installer-Launcher which causes the above problem.

I was able to load it in a 10379 image after upgrading Installer.

Preferences enable: #allowBlockArgumentAssignment.
Preferences disable: #raiseDepreciatedWarnings.

Installer upgrade upgrade.
Installer install: 'UpgradeMonticelloBootstrap'.

Thanks to Keith :)

Re: Call for testers of a faster MC

Thanks

Stef

On Jul 17, 2009, at 12:29 AM, Douglas Brebner wrote:

> Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>> thanks mariano and kirtai.
>>
>> On Jul 16, 2009, at 10:39 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>>

>>> Stef....Kirtai was looking you in IRC
>>>
>>> [16:39] <Kirtai> is stephanes problem with loading mc due to non-
>>> atomicloading changing a method then using it before another method
>>> it depends on is compiled?
>>> [17:06] <marianopeck> Kirtai: stef isn't in IRC most of the time
>>> [17:07] <marianopeck> it would be better to send him an email
>>> [17:07] <Kirtai> I'm just lookin at the problem
>>> [17:07] <Kirtai> seems that  MCMethodDefinition>>actualClass is
>>> calling MCMethodDefinition>>actualClassIn: after actualClass is
>>> recompiled but before actualClassIn: is installed
>>>

>> argh!
>>
> Stephane, if you set the following preferences
>
> raiseDepreciatedWarnings=disabled (causes problems due to the Author
> initials depreciation)
> allowBlockArgumentAssignment=enabled (Breaks a method called
> #unloadTraits. A convenience method that isn't used and isn't in the
> image after the install is finished)
>
> then you can load MC 1.5 (with updated Installer) by using Keiths LPF
> script.
>
> After setting the prefs, do the following:
>
> HTTPSocket httpFileIn: 'ftp.squeak.org/3.11/scripts/LPF.st'.
>
> and it should just work.

Re: Call for testers of a faster MC

> raiseDepreciatedWarnings=disabled (causes problems due to the Author
> initials depreciation)
> allowBlockArgumentAssignment=enabled (Breaks a method called
> #unloadTraits. A convenience method that isn't used and isn't in the
> image after the install is finished)
>
> then you can load MC 1.5 (with updated Installer) by using Keiths LPF
> script.
>
> After setting the prefs, do the following:
>
> HTTPSocket httpFileIn: 'ftp.squeak.org/3.11/scripts/LPF.st'.

I did that but it does not load MC1.5
I getting confused

Re: Call for testers of a faster MC

> Stef if you want to load the source code direct from an mcz, Installer
> can do it as in the following example.

I loaded HTTPSocket httpFileIn: 'ftp.squeak.org/3.11/scripts/LPF.st'.
but  I could not find that method scriptUpgradeMonticelloBootstrap

then I tried

> (Installer url: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/mc/PackageInfo-Base')
> fileInSource.

broke on url:

:(

Then I did
ScriptLoader new installingInstaller

> (Installer url: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/mc/PackageInfo-Base')
> fileInSource.

broke MCZInstaller class

Then I tried

        Installer install: 'LevelPlayingField'

and it broke on me InstallerScripts.....

So sorry but I do not suceed to load MC1.5 just to check why what I
did does not work.
I'm too stupid. SO I trashed my image and the time I lost too.

> scriptUpgradeMonticelloBootstrap
>
>    (Installer url: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/mc/PackageInfo-Base')
> fileInSource.
>    (Installer url:
> 'http://www.squeaksource.com/mc/System-PasswordManager') fileInSource.
>    (Installer url: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/mc/', self class
> configMCVersion,'.mcz') fileInSource.
>
> This is available in Installer install: 'UpgradeMonticelloBootstrap'.
>
> Damien loads MC1.5 via...
>
> Installer install: 'LevelPlayingField'
>
> this doesnt include Installer-Launcher which causes the above problem.
>
> Keith

Re: Call for testers of a faster MC

Ok it works

> Preferences enable: #allowBlockArgumentAssignment.
> Preferences disable: #raiseDepreciatedWarnings.
>
> Installer upgrade upgrade.
> Installer install: 'UpgradeMonticelloBootstrap'.

Now which version is loaded....?

Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Ok it works
>

>> Preferences enable: #allowBlockArgumentAssignment.
>> Preferences disable: #raiseDepreciatedWarnings.
>>
>> Installer upgrade upgrade.
>> Installer install: 'UpgradeMonticelloBootstrap'.
>>

> Now which version is loaded....?

This should install the latest version of Installer, PackageInfo and
Monticello 1.5

You should get:

From http://www.squeaksource.com/Installer
Installer-Core-kph.321.mcz
Installer-Scripts-kph.16.mcz
Installer-Formats-kph.4.mcz

From http://www.squeaksource.com/mc/
PackageInfo-Base-mtf.70.mcz
System-PasswordManager-kph.2.mcz (a dependency)
Monticello.impl-kph.643.mcz

I tried this on the 10373 download and the latest 10379 images and it
just works.

Re: Call for testers of a faster MC

Stéphane Ducasse
Thanks!!!!

I will put some breakpoints now to see the difference with my code.

On Jul 17, 2009, at 11:30 AM, Douglas Brebner wrote:

> Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>> Ok it works
>>

>>> Preferences enable: #allowBlockArgumentAssignment.
>>> Preferences disable: #raiseDepreciatedWarnings.
>>>
>>> Installer upgrade upgrade.
>>> Installer install: 'UpgradeMonticelloBootstrap'.
>>>

>> Now which version is loaded....?
>>

> This should install the latest version of Installer, PackageInfo and
> Monticello 1.5
>
> You should get:
>
> From http://www.squeaksource.com/Installer
> Installer-Core-kph.321.mcz
> Installer-Scripts-kph.16.mcz
> Installer-Formats-kph.4.mcz
>
> From http://www.squeaksource.com/mc/
> PackageInfo-Base-mtf.70.mcz
> System-PasswordManager-kph.2.mcz (a dependency)
> Monticello.impl-kph.643.mcz
>
> I tried this on the 10373 download and the latest 10379 images and it
> just works.

Re: Call for testers of a faster MC

I checked a bit but actualClassIn: in MC1.6 depends on
MCMethodDefinition having theClass as instanceVariable.

The results of this experience is clearly showing me that merging
between fork is nearly impossible.
I already lost some days on that issues and I think that we will stay
with a slow MC for now.

Stef

Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> I checked a bit but actualClassIn: in MC1.6 depends on
> MCMethodDefinition having theClass as instanceVariable.
>
> The results of this experience is clearly showing me that merging
> between fork is nearly impossible.
> I already lost some days on that issues and I think that we will stay
> with a slow MC for now.

Isn't the version loaded by the following code from my other mail the
already merged version of 1.5/1.6? (I believe that 1.6 is just 1.5 with
atomic loading enabled)

Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> I checked a bit but actualClassIn: in MC1.6 depends on
> MCMethodDefinition having theClass as instanceVariable.
>
> The results of this experience is clearly showing me that merging
> between fork is nearly impossible.
> I already lost some days on that issues and I think that we will stay
> with a slow MC for now.
>
> Stef

That's why the only effective way is to use as is, and contribute to the
package in an external repository. If you don't then everyone is stuck
with a version that cannot move forward. That's where we were three
years ago.

The version in squeaksource.com/mc has moved forward, in the same way as
Pharo has unashamedly moved forward.
Feel free to adopt squeaksource.com/mc as your own if you want to, I
wont be contributing to it for a long long while if ever.

May I invite someone to feel free to maintain the InstallerScripts for

Keith

Re: Call for testers of a faster MC

Stéphane Ducasse
ok

>> That's why the only effective way is to use as is, and contribute
>> to the
> package in an external repository. If you don't then everyone is stuck
> with a version that cannot move forward. That's where we were three
> years ago.
>
> The version in squeaksource.com/mc has moved forward, in the same
> way as
> Pharo has unashamedly moved forward.
> Feel free to adopt squeaksource.com/mc as your own if you want to, I
> wont be contributing to it for a long long while if ever.
>
> May I invite someone to feel free to maintain the InstallerScripts for
>
> Keith

Re: Call for testers of a faster MC

The problem doug is that it is unclear if all the features are needed
and what is the status of the implementation.
I do not know what are orphanage, scripts, upgrade upgrade, file.......

We just did not update to MC1.5 because we are idiot or blind.
First we were focusing on something else and also when something is
working for you
then it is difficult to try something new and risky since it can stall
the complete process.
I do not even know what LFP is doing in our back.
Now the key point is that if somebody in the pharo community stand up
and take
the **huge** and painful job to have a **real** look at MC1.5/1.6 and
to be here as a fireman
then there is a chance that we use it. Not just saying yes it works
(which is already a challenge as I noticed it
these days).

Stef