Call of projects of open-dev lectures

Stephane Ducasse-3
Hi

We are organising a lecture where students should
- learn pharo
- learn how to communicate with open source community
- learn how to reverse engineer, fix bugs....
They should work by 3/4.

We are looking for projects that would like to accept
- propose some bugs to be fixed
- to communicate with newbies and from time to time

I was thinking about
- MDL
- Roassal
- Moose ?
- Pillar ? but nobody beside me and I do not have the time
- DRGeoII
- Telescope
- Artefact
- Scale
- Ecstatic

So if you have a project and you want to participate.
We would like to have
- web page?
- mailing-list
- bug trackers/todo?

Re: [Pharo-dev] Call of projects of open-dev lectures

kilon.alios
My project may be too advanced for a student but if students are interested in Game Development and Unreal , it can a very fun experience for them.

I am in a process of constructing a Unreal API for Pharo.

What students can learn

1) How to combine Pharo with C++
2) How to use Unreal
3) How to use Pharo's UFFI
4) How to utilize shared memory and sockets
5) How to generate 3D graphics using Blender
6) How to profile Pharo
7) How to use git and github

And a ton more, game development is a massive field

What is required

1) basic knowledge of Pharo
2) basic knowledge of C++

Main website

http://www.kilon-alios.com

Github repos

https://github.com/kilon/Ephestos (umbrella project)

https://github.com/kilon/CPP (tool for using Unreal from Pharo)

Online chat

Slack - Ephestos room , or Discord

Mailing list

Github issues page of Ephestos can be used as forum
On Wed, 4 Jan 2017 at 16:49, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Re: Call of projects of open-dev lectures

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2

I think that Grafoscopio could benefit a lot from newbies. I'm still kind of one, so I don't know if I have the expertise to guide them, but I can help as a peer, literally. We can provide an environment where newbies can learn about the integration of exploratory computing, interactive documentation and data activism & visualization, but mainly about how can newbies can be empowered by the Pharo ecosystem and communities to prototype their ideas. As I have said several times, Grafoscopio is my first Smalltalk "app", so is full of rookie code everywhere (and they can learn from it also), but despite of that is a functional artifact and has bootstrapped interesting local dynamics, some international interest, and let me become an active member of this community. If this experience helps in someway to newbies, they're most than welcomed to our community.

- Web page (English): http://mutabit.com/grafoscopio/index.en.html
- Bug Tracker: http://mutabit.com/repos.fossil/grafoscopio/ticket

Let me know, so I can tell the locals we're going to have some guests in our community.

Cheers,

Offray

On 04/01/17 09:48, Stephane Ducasse wrote:
[...]

SergeStinckwich
PolyMath issues are here:

https://github.com/PolyMathOrg/PolyMath/issues

--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: [Pharo-dev] Call of projects of open-dev lectures

Damien Pollet
Perhaps the most important is that the project has maintainers who can be reasonably reactive (so that the students can at least interact and get feedback on a weekly basis). If you can identify beginner-friendly issues and tasks, that would be great too.

Damien Pollet

On Thu, 05 Jan 2017 10:50:58 +0100, Hilaire <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> You desscribed a bit the students, I have few more questions :
>
> What is the background of the students regarding computer science?

        L3 student (third year)

> How many hours are they supposed to dedicate to the project?

        12 * 4 hours.

> Phratch will be a nice project to get student interested by.

Thanks I will add it to the list.

> Hilaire

Re: [Pharo-dev] Call of projects of open-dev lectures

abergel
Hi Stef,

Here is the Roassal part:

Webpages:
        http://agilevisualization.com
        http://moosetechnology.org

Mailing-list:

Bug tracker:
        https://github.com/moosetechnology/Moose/issues

Cheers,
Alexandre

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: [Pharo-dev] Call of projects of open-dev lectures

Damien Pollet
On 6 January 2017 at 21:04, Hilaire <[hidden email]> wrote:
How should I understand 12 * 4 hours?
12 hours by student in a team of four?

Ten weeks with 4 dedicated hours every friday afternoon, in groups of 3 to 5

Damien Pollet

Re: [Pharo-dev] Call of projects of open-dev lectures

Damien Pollet
On 7 January 2017 at 13:52, Hilaire <[hidden email]> wrote:
Do the students have background on Pharo, if yes what is it?

They have at least a semester of Java, but it's their first experience with Pharo, I believe. Stef will have them spend the first 3-4 fridays learning and going through the books and MOOC.

Damien Pollet

Re: [Pharo-dev] Call of projects of open-dev lectures

CyrilFerlicot
On 04/01/2017 15:48, Stephane Ducasse wrote:

> Hi
>
> We are organising a lecture where students should
> - learn pharo
> - learn how to communicate with open source community
> - learn how to reverse engineer, fix bugs....
> They should work by 3/4.
>
> We are looking for projects that would like to accept
> - propose some bugs to be fixed
> - to communicate with newbies and from time to time
>
> I was thinking about
> - MDL
> - Roassal
> - Moose ?
> - Pillar ? but nobody beside me and I do not have the time
> - DRGeoII
> - Telescope
> - Artefact
> - Scale
> - Ecstatic
>
> So if you have a project and you want to participate.
> We would like to have
> - web page?
> - mailing-list
> - bug trackers/todo?
>
> Stef
Hi Stef,

I updated MDL to be up to date. I just need to add a "CONTRIBUTING.md"
file and it should be good for students.

- WebPage: For now it is https://github.com/DuneSt/MaterialDesignLite

- Mailing list: Pharo-user or Seaside

- Bug Tracker: https://github.com/DuneSt/MaterialDesignLite/issues

I still need to think of some features suitable for L3 students and to
document them. I begun to add an OpenDev label if some students are
interested:
https://github.com/DuneSt/MaterialDesignLite/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3AOpenDev

--
Cyril Ferlicot