classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Callback(?) debugging - bad number of arguments

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Eliot,

I am calling something that I *think* simply tells GSL where to find the callbacks and a relevant structure.  But I am getting a primitive failure in VMCallbackContext32>>primReturnAs:fromContext:, which I assume means that the library is attempting to call into Pharo.

In the debugger's context, ec is set to #'bad number of arguments'.  I have looked at the signatures and the blocks, and the argument counts look correct at first glance, albeit toward the end of a long day.

Am I being naive?  Any better ideas?  My next inclination is to set breakpoints in all of the callbacks to seee if any of them get hit.  I can't see why they would, but it's possible - especially given other weirdness that I have observed in GSL.  It work, but it's a little rough around the (design/elegance) edges at times.

Bill

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Callback(?) debugging - bad number of arguments

Eliot Miranda-2

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 6:20 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]> wrote:
Eliot,

I am calling something that I *think* simply tells GSL where to find the callbacks and a relevant structure.  But I am getting a primitive failure in VMCallbackContext32>>primReturnAs:fromContext:, which I assume means that the library is attempting to call into Pharo.

In the debugger's context, ec is set to #'bad number of arguments'.  I have looked at the signatures and the blocks, and the argument counts look correct at first glance, albeit toward the end of a long day.

Am I being naive? 

Understandably so.  I believe the issue is the callback selector in place in recreateSpecialObjectsArray.  It needs to be

newArray at: 54 put: #invokeCallbackContext:.

not the older

newArray at: 54 put: #invokeCallback:stack:registers:jmpbuf:.

And you need to have invokeCallbackContext: implemented in Alien class.

HTH

Any better ideas?  My next inclination is to set breakpoints in all of the callbacks to seee if any of them get hit.  I can't see why they would, but it's possible - especially given other weirdness that I have observed in GSL.  It work, but it's a little rough around the (design/elegance) edges at times.

Bill

--
best,
Eliot

Reply | Threaded
|

Eliot Miranda-2

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 7:46 PM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

Eliot,

Am I being naive? 

Uh, ignore my reply.  It was confused and wrong.  Alas can't attend to this right now (dinner calls and it's a school night).  Apologies.... later...

Understandably so.  I believe the issue is the callback selector in place in recreateSpecialObjectsArray.  It needs to be

not the older

HTH

Any better ideas?  My next inclination is to set breakpoints in all of the callbacks to seee if any of them get hit.  I can't see why they would, but it's possible - especially given other weirdness that I have observed in GSL.  It work, but it's a little rough around the (design/elegance) edges at times.

Bill

--
best,
Eliot

--
best,
Eliot

Reply | Threaded
|

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Eliot,

I did some more looking at the code, added a method to control when thing halt.  The callback methods get exercised two ways: as ordinary methods with FFI objects, and then as actual callbacks with Alien parameters.  I abstracted wrapping the arguments as arrays and matrices.

What I had overlooked elsewhere was that I fell into the old trap of doing something like

solver set:callback thunk address

(or whatever the right incantation is).  The point is that something is probably getting gc'd before activity dies out.  With suitable temp variables to hold things, I got further.  It's now it is  seg faulting in a GSL call via FFI.

Below is what I think is relevant from the crash dump.  #set:set:set:guess: appears to be hitting the callbacks (successfully according to the debugger), and conks out "on the way out" of the FFI call that triggers everything.  I need to set intermediate breakpoints in that method to see if it really is blowing up where I suspect.

Any other ideas?  Thanks!

Bill

-------------------------------------------------------------
Segmentation fault Thu Mar 22 22:59:14 2012

Squeak VM version: 3.9-7 #1 Mon Feb 20 23:15:24 CET 2012 gcc 4.1.2
Built from: CoInterpreter VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.139 uuid: 5aa53979-d7d8-4ca3-91fe-cfc3b4109c33 Feb 20 2012
With: StackToRegisterMappingCogit VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.139 uuid: 5aa53979-d7d8-4ca3-91fe-cfc3b4109c33 Feb 20 2012
Revision: https://git.gitorious.org/cogvm/blessed.git Commit: 0f55a39cb3f41907fca6d102845154da5dfa597f Date: Mon Feb 20 18:59:49 2012 -0300 By: Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]>
Build host: Linux pharo-build.lille.inria.fr 2.6.18-194.26.1.el5xen #1 SMP Tue Nov 9 14:13:46 EST 2010 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
plugin path: /home/bills/Work2012/Pharo-1.3/ [default: /home/bills/Work2012/Pharo-1.3/]

C stack backtrace:
/home/bills/Work2012/Pharo-1.3/CogVM[0x80968b1]
/home/bills/Work2012/Pharo-1.3/CogVM[0x8096a3c]
[0xb774e410]
/usr/lib/libgsl.so.0(gsl_multifit_fdfsolver_set+0xdd)[0x75a2a72d]
/home/bills/Work2012/Pharo-1.3/libSqueakFFIPrims.so(primitiveCallout+0x4b2)[0x75c962a2]
/home/bills/Work2012/Pharo-1.3/CogVM(interpret+0x3f68)[0x808dcc8]
/home/bills/Work2012/Pharo-1.3/CogVM[0x808fc97]
/home/bills/Work2012/Pharo-1.3/CogVM[0x8090664]
/home/bills/Work2012/Pharo-1.3/CogVM(main+0x38a)[0x809774a]
/lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xe6)[0xb75aebd6]
/home/bills/Work2012/Pharo-1.3/CogVM[0x805acc1]

Smalltalk stack dump:
0xbfd96e20 I GSLNonLinearLeastSquaresWithDerivatives>set:set:set:guess: 2035750124: a(n) GSLNonLinearLeastSquaresWithDerivatives
0xbfd96e68 I GSLModelGaussianPlusConstant(GSLModel)>fit: 2035750096: a(n) GSLModelGaussianPlusConstant
0xbfd96e90 I GSLModelGaussianPlusConstant class>example 2026112964: a(n) GSLModelGaussianPlusConstant class
0xbfd96ea8 M GSLModel class>? 2026110492: a(n) GSLModel class

From: [hidden email] [[hidden email]] on behalf of Eliot Miranda [[hidden email]]
Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2012 10:49 PM
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [Pharo-project] Callback(?) debugging - bad number of arguments

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 7:46 PM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

Eliot,

Am I being naive? 

Uh, ignore my reply.  It was confused and wrong.  Alas can't attend to this right now (dinner calls and it's a school night).  Apologies.... later...

not the older

HTH

Bill

--
best,
Eliot

--
best,
Eliot