Calling Ruby from Smalltalk

Monty Williams-3
We're thinking about experimenting with calling Ruby from GemStone Smalltalk. Would this be useful to you? Is there a particular (Ruby) gem you'd like to use from GLASS? Let us know.

-- Monty

Re: Calling Ruby from Smalltalk

Stephan Eggermont-3
spreadsheet for reading/writing excel documents

Puppet/Chef to be able to create machine configurations in a DRY way

Stephan

On 29 jun 2011, at 22:58, Monty Williams wrote:

> We're thinking about experimenting with calling Ruby from GemStone Smalltalk. Would this be useful to you? Is there a particular (Ruby) gem you'd like to use from GLASS? Let us know.
>
> -- Monty

Re: Calling Ruby from Smalltalk

Nick
Hi Monty,

> We're thinking about experimenting with calling Ruby from GemStone Smalltalk. Would this be useful to you? Is there a particular (Ruby) gem you'd like to use from GLASS? Let us know.

Often web services have associated Ruby libraries to wrap up the API. For example EC2 Ruby library, shopping cart Ruby libraries. Why reinvent in Smalltalk when it's available in Ruby.

Nick

Re: Calling Ruby from Smalltalk

Johan Brichau-2
Monty,

I'm amazed there has been so little response to this question.

To me, that sounds like an awesome ability!

Interoperability with Ruby libraries will open a vast world of useful code to us.
I'm not a Ruby user, so difficult to say which gems I would like to use from GLASS. But in my experience using JavaConnect, opening up language interoperability to Smalltalk is always a good thing.

Hope to hear more about this!
Johan

On 29 Jun 2011, at 22:58, Monty Williams wrote:

> We're thinking about experimenting with calling Ruby from GemStone Smalltalk. Would this be useful to you? Is there a particular (Ruby) gem you'd like to use from GLASS? Let us know.
>
> -- Monty

Re: Calling Ruby from Smalltalk

Paul DeBruicker
On 07/01/2011 06:05 AM, Nick Ager wrote:

> Hi Monty,
>
>      > We're thinking about experimenting with calling Ruby from
>     GemStone Smalltalk. Would this be useful to you? Is there a
>     particular (Ruby) gem you'd like to use from GLASS? Let us know.
>

> Often web services have associated Ruby libraries to wrap up the API.
> For example EC2 Ruby library, shopping cart Ruby libraries. Why reinvent
> in Smalltalk when it's available in Ruby.
>
> Nick

+1

Re: Calling Ruby from Smalltalk

Thelliez
(Monty, sorry for the delay answering your question but life has been
busy here, in particular with the Las Conchas fire).

Yes, I would love to see a way to call Ruby from GemStone.  Right now
we are using performOnServer: with some Ruby scripts dynamically
generated in Smalltalk (to take care of some variables).

But looking at our current scripts, the main reasons for our Ruby
calls is for interfacing with other systems through Web services (REST
through https or Web service through ssh).  Our needed libraries exist
in Ruby, not in GemStone.

Having a direct Web service client system from within GemStone will be
great too...

Thierry

Re: Calling Ruby from Smalltalk

Monty Williams-3
Thanks Thierry,

Martin McCLure will be talking on calling Ruby from SMalltalk at ESUG in Edinburgh next month. Any chance you'll be there?

-- Monty

Thierry

Re: Calling Ruby from Smalltalk

Conrad Taylor
On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 9:58 PM, Monty Williams <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Thierry,

Martin McCLure will be talking on calling Ruby from SMalltalk at ESUG in Edinburgh next month. Any chance you'll be there?

-- Monty

Monty, this sounds like a very interesting talk at ESUG and I wish that I was attending.  Are there plans to record the talk at ESUG
with ScreenFlow or something like that?

-Conrad

Thierry

Re: Calling Ruby from Smalltalk

Monty Williams-3
All the ESUG talks are recorded and put on the web.  For example, look at "Experiences in the Development of a Next Generation Event Planning System with Seaside" on http://esug2010.objectfusion.fr/. (The real talk starts about 5 minutes into the video)

Johan talks a bit about porting their Seaside app from Pharo to GemStone.

-- Monty

Re: Calling Ruby from Smalltalk

Carla F. Griggio
On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 6:58 AM, Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]> wrote:
spreadsheet for reading/writing excel documents

I reeaaallly need that!
I'll be attending ESUG and hope to learn how to interact with Ruby, and here at my job I really need reading and writing excel documents, so I could use some time to collaborate in this subject :)

Cheers,
Carla