Calypso browser and categories?

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi Denis,

I wanted to give a serious test to Calypso, that is, start using it all day long. However, there is a critical thing I am missing, which is the grouping of categories (inside packages).

I do not want to start discussing again packages vs categories and what are good and bad practices. I do have a few packages and each package may have several categories inside. So... seeing all classes together inside a package is not nice for me.

Is there a way in calypso to auto-escope to category level? I mean... say my package is XXX and I have categories XXX-A and XXX-B. I know I can go to left side column and with the tree, I can go to XXX-A and I get what I want. But, for example, when I browse a class of XXX-A, the "focus" of the left side column is XXX and not XXX-A.  So I am wondering if we can make it auto-scope to the category everywhere in Calypso.

Thanks in advance,

Re: Calypso browser and categories?

Denis Kudriashov
Hi Mariano.

You right. Method for this was implemented but I forgot to use it in #selectClass: logic.
I committed fix to dev branch. I will realze new version soon.

But I am not sure that it is only issue you are talking about.

On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 6:15 PM, Denis Kudriashov <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Mariano.

You right. Method for this was implemented but I forgot to use it in #selectClass: logic.
I committed fix to dev branch. I will realze new version soon.

OK, great. Let me know when you want me to test it. I am glad it was a "bug". I thought it might have been some "decision".

But I am not sure that it is only issue you are talking about.

Yeah, I figured I can see it elsewhere. But I will find them if there are other places...

BTW, I also found some other small issues which I comment below. Do you want me to open issues on github for them?

* "Windows" -> "Delete all windows discarding edits" -> does not close Calypso windows with none saved edits
* When I have a class opened, with a method opened, then I go to the class comment tab and I save the class comment, calypso automatically gives me focus
back to the "method tab" rather than staying in the class comment. This is annoying as i like to save my class comment frequently and not they flip to another tab.
* I wish the "new protocol" offers me the existing ones as I type...as I normally re-use existing protocols (on purpose) and its easy to make small typos or differences with the original ones.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

[...]

It was not a bug but missing feature :)

But I am not sure that it is only issue you are talking about.

Yeah, I figured I can see it elsewhere. But I will find them if there are other places...

BTW, I also found some other small issues which I comment below. Do you want me to open issues on github for them?

Yes, please :)

* "Windows" -> "Delete all windows discarding edits" -> does not close Calypso windows with none saved edits

Never use it. Now I look at implementation and it is super naive. Not sure that we should modify Calypso to satisfy this approach. I thing there are other tools which will be not closed by this command

* When I have a class opened, with a method opened, then I go to the class comment tab and I save the class comment, calypso automatically gives me focus
back to the "method tab" rather than staying in the class comment. This is annoying as i like to save my class comment frequently and not they flip to another tab.

Strangely I can not reproduce it. Do you see this all the time? Try open new browser and repeat it.
Also try alt+left to navigation back in such cases.

* I wish the "new protocol" offers me the existing ones as I type...as I normally re-use existing protocols (on purpose) and its easy to make small typos or differences with the original ones.

Done. Use Iceberg to update SystemCommands project (metacello script could not work)

On Tue, Aug 1, 2017 at 9:10 AM, Denis Kudriashov <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 6:15 PM, Denis Kudriashov <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Mariano.

You right. Method for this was implemented but I forgot to use it in #selectClass: logic.
I committed fix to dev branch. I will realze new version soon.

OK, great. Let me know when you want me to test it. I am glad it was a "bug". I thought it might have been some "decision".

It was not a bug but missing feature :)

:)

But I am not sure that it is only issue you are talking about.

Yeah, I figured I can see it elsewhere. But I will find them if there are other places...

BTW, I also found some other small issues which I comment below. Do you want me to open issues on github for them?

Yes, please :)

* "Windows" -> "Delete all windows discarding edits" -> does not close Calypso windows with none saved edits

Never use it. Now I look at implementation and it is super naive. Not sure that we should modify Calypso to satisfy this approach. I thing there are other tools which will be not closed by this command

Well, I use it quite frequently. Whenever I am done with implementing a given feature, or fixing a given bug, I close everything, I evaluate a workspace that I always have at hand that does some cleanup, and I am ready to go to the next task. So I hate when I cannot easily close all windows.

* When I have a class opened, with a method opened, then I go to the class comment tab and I save the class comment, calypso automatically gives me focus
back to the "method tab" rather than staying in the class comment. This is annoying as i like to save my class comment frequently and not they flip to another tab.

Strangely I can not reproduce it. Do you see this all the time? Try open new browser and repeat it.

mmmm weird. I tried again and I failed to reproduce it hahah. Ok..... ignore it... unless I find a reproducible case.

Also try alt+left to navigation back in such cases.

I wasn't aware of those shortcuts. Is there a list somewhere of all available shortcuts in Calypso?  I mean, those that are not obviously displayed on right click menu.
Maybe there are shortcuts for moving across panes? I always wanted that... say I am in the code area of a method and I would like to move to the package panel, or the class panel.. with the keyboard...

* I wish the "new protocol" offers me the existing ones as I type...as I normally re-use existing protocols (on purpose) and its easy to make small typos or differences with the original ones.

Done. Use Iceberg to update SystemCommands project (metacello script could not work)

Awesome. Thanks.

[...]

There is no special tool for this. But you can browse all references to CmdShortcutCommandActivator. It will gives you list of command classes which can be accessed by shortcut. And in every found method you will see keymap.

Maybe there are shortcuts for moving across panes? I always wanted that... say I am in the code area of a method and I would like to move to the package panel, or the class panel.. with the keyboard...

I not implemented it. If you know how to do it in Morphic with given morph instance then you can try implement it by yourself. Look at ClyShowMessageSenderCommand as example of command which interact with browser. You can ask it for methodView, classView, packageView and so on. They are all just morphs.

On Tue, Aug 1, 2017 at 11:32 AM, Denis Kudriashov <[hidden email]> wrote:
And I released new version with all fixes

Cool! I just tested and everything seems to work nicely. Thanks Denis for the fixes and new release. A pleasure to be using this browser.
You know... it's easier for me to simply complain about bugs or missing features than talk about the cool things about it. The latter would take me hours ;)

[...]

Do not stop complain. It forced me to fix boring things :)