Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Calypso documentation? Or understanding menu building

Tim Mackinnon
Is there any documentation on Calypso application contexts? I am trying to add a menu item to a package tag (the bit underneath a package - which I often call a sub-package).

I’ve specified:

^CmdContextMenuActivation
                byItemOf: ClyQueryMenuGroup for: RPackage asCalypsoItemContext

But that puts my menu on the package and not the tag - and if I use the inspect extra menu in calypso, I get what looks to be something that could help me determine what I want but I’m struggling to understand what ClyTaggedClassGroup does, and what a context is all about.

Has anyone else played around with this at all?

Ideally I want to have a menu appear on all the tags underneath a particular package - and possibly including that package (or maybe not - I haven’t decided as I want to try it in the wild).

While I’m at it - I have quite understood how to create submenu’s either - as I’d like to have several commands all as sub items of a menu item “Exercism”.

Tim

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Calypso documentation? Or understanding menu building

Denis Kudriashov
Hi Tim

вт, 12 февр. 2019 г. в 13:42, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]>:
Is there any documentation on Calypso   application contexts? I am trying to add a menu item to a package tag (the bit underneath a package - which I often call a sub-package).

Only class comments are available for Calypso. Also there are a Commander booklet which describes contexts and ClassAnnotation github readme (together with class comments).

I’ve specified:

The #for: argument of command activations is a context where command should be available. Context describes condition where given command (its activation strategy) should be visible for users.
In your example "RPackage asCalypsoItemContext" is an instance of ClyBrowserItemContext which matches any selected package in the browser (when a kind of RPackage is selected).
And that's why you do not see it on selected tag because the tag is not a package.

But that puts my menu on the package and not the tag 
- and if I use the inspect extra menu in calypso, I get what looks to be something that could help me determine what I want but I’m struggling to understand what ClyTaggedClassGroup does, and what a context is all about.

Inspect command opens inspector of actually selected object which is an instance of ClyTaggedClassGroup in that case (try inspect selected method and you will get a CompiledMethod).
Children of package in browser are instances of ClyClassGroup and subclasses. So they are not raw tags. If you need a command for a tag you should add a command for ClyTaggedClassGroup items:

byItemOf: ClyQueryMenuGroup for: ClyTaggedClassGroup asCalypsoItemContext 

Look for example at SycPromotePackageFromTagCommand class>>#fullBrowserMenuActivation which is defined this way.

There are other kind of contexts which can be used in command annotations. For example if you want a command for selected method only in full browser then you should use ClyMethodContextOfFullBrowser:

^CmdContextMenuActivation byItemOf: ClyQueryMenuGroup for: ClyMethodContextOfFullBrowser 

it can be confusing that simple class is used in this case. But underhood it is converted to the instance of context where command should be available.

Ideally I want to have a menu appear on all the tags underneath a particular package - and possibly including that package (or maybe not - I haven’t decided as I want to try it in the wild).

While I’m at it - I have quite understood how to create submenu’s either - as I’d like to have several commands all as sub items of a menu item “Exercism”.

Look at commander booklet. It includes example.

Tim

Reply | Threaded
|

Tim Mackinnon
Thanks Denis - lots for me to look through there. I’ll also add a PR to add those documentation links to the Calypso readme.

Tim

On 12 Feb 2019, at 19:32, Denis Kudriashov <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Tim

Is there any documentation on Calypso   application contexts? I am trying to add a menu item to a package tag (the bit underneath a package - which I often call a sub-package).

Only class comments are available for Calypso. Also there are a Commander booklet which describes contexts and ClassAnnotation github readme (together with class comments).

I’ve specified:

The #for: argument of command activations is a context where command should be available. Context describes condition where given command (its activation strategy) should be visible for users.
In your example "RPackage asCalypsoItemContext" is an instance of ClyBrowserItemContext which matches any selected package in the browser (when a kind of RPackage is selected).
And that's why you do not see it on selected tag because the tag is not a package.

- and if I use the inspect extra menu in calypso, I get what looks to be something that could help me determine what I want but I’m struggling to understand what ClyTaggedClassGroup does, and what a context is all about.

Inspect command opens inspector of actually selected object which is an instance of ClyTaggedClassGroup in that case (try inspect selected method and you will get a CompiledMethod).
Children of package in browser are instances of ClyClassGroup and subclasses. So they are not raw tags. If you need a command for a tag you should add a command for ClyTaggedClassGroup items:

Look for example at SycPromotePackageFromTagCommand class>>#fullBrowserMenuActivation which is defined this way.

There are other kind of contexts which can be used in command annotations. For example if you want a command for selected method only in full browser then you should use ClyMethodContextOfFullBrowser:

^CmdContextMenuActivation byItemOf: ClyQueryMenuGroup for: ClyMethodContextOfFullBrowser 

it can be confusing that simple class is used in this case. But underhood it is converted to the instance of context where command should be available.

Tim

Reply | Threaded
|

Tim Mackinnon
In reply to this post by Denis Kudriashov
Hi Dennis - I’ve been reading the book you mentioned and looking through the code as well as your examples and I feel a bit more comfortable with what’s going on - however I am stumped about how you do an OR context (vs. an AND context).

I would like my menu item to appear for either a selected RPackage OR a ClyTaggedClassGroup - I thought I had it with:

RPackage asCalypsoItemContext, ClyTaggedClassGroup  asCalypsoItemContext (to get a composite context) but then I realised that the composite is an AND.

Is there some way to create an OR context, or do I simply have to create multiple commands?

Tim

Hi Tim

I’ve specified:

Tim

Reply | Threaded
|

Denis Kudriashov
Hi Tim.

пн, 18 февр. 2019 г. в 14:48, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]>:
Hi Dennis - I’ve been reading the book you mentioned and looking through the code as well as your examples and I feel a bit more comfortable with what’s going on - however I am stumped about how you do an OR context (vs. an AND context).

I would like my menu item to appear for either a selected RPackage OR a ClyTaggedClassGroup - I thought I had it with:

RPackage asCalypsoItemContext, ClyTaggedClassGroup  asCalypsoItemContext (to get a composite context) but then I realised that the composite is an AND.

Is there some way to create an OR context, or do I simply have to create multiple commands?

You simply need two annotations. One for context of RPackage and another for context of tag.

Tim

Hi Tim

I’ve specified:

Tim