Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Camp Smalltalk project - transpiler infrastructure

Dave Mason
I’m one of the principals for PharoJS which transpires from Smalltalk to Javascript
I’m the creator of PharoJVM which (is getting to) transpiling Smalltalk to JVM
I know there is new Pharo work on transpiling to C
There may be other transpires….

I think it would be good to work on a common transpiration structure that we can all extend. Ideally it should have pluggable targets, pluggable type inference, etc. but common parsing, management of classes to include, mocking of builtins, etc. I’d love for it to hook up with Live Types, too.

I’ll be in Cologne Saturday afternoon, and would love to make some progress toward this. Any collaborators.

../Dave

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Camp Smalltalk project - transpiler infrastructure

NorbertHartl
Hi,

> Am 21.08.2019 um 18:18 schrieb David Mason <[hidden email]>:
>
> I’m one of the principals for PharoJS which transpires from Smalltalk to Javascript
> I’m the creator of PharoJVM which (is getting to) transpiling Smalltalk to JVM
> I know there is new Pharo work on transpiling to C
> There may be other transpires….
>
> I think it would be good to work on a common transpiration structure that we can all extend. Ideally it should have pluggable targets, pluggable type inference, etc. but common parsing, management of classes to include, mocking of builtins, etc. I’d love for it to hook up with Live Types, too.
>
> I’ll be in Cologne Saturday afternoon, and would love to make some progress toward this. Any collaborators.
>
I’m interested in transpiling although not an expert. I tinker with the idea to find a smalltalk subset that could be transpiled to database queries. So I don’t know if that fits but I wanted to show my interest. I would be in.

Norbert

> ../Dave
> _______________________________________________
> Esug-list mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.esug.org/mailman/listinfo/esug-list_lists.esug.org

Reply | Threaded
|

Dave Mason
I’ll probably be at the Stadtgarden around 14:30 Saturday and early Sunday and will start working on this whenever anyone else shows up and is interested in working on it. There seem to be at least 4 people besides me.

Known targets for transpilation include:
  Javascript - PharoJS - working - dynamically typed, strange numeric stack - IWST papers describing mapping
  JVM - PharoJVM - partial - statically typed, instance OO - IWST paper last year describing mapping
  Illicium - ?working - statically typed, structs/unions - IWST paper this year
  Python - dynamically typed, OO
  SQL? - ? typed

So lots of variation to think about. Would be nice for all of the above to subclass a generic transpiler. See my earlier message for other considerations

../Dave
On  21.08.2019 at 18:18 David Mason <[hidden email]> wrote:

I’m one of the principals for PharoJS which transpires from Smalltalk to Javascript

I think it would be good to work on a common transpiration structure that we can all extend. Ideally it should have pluggable targets, pluggable type inference, etc. but common parsing, management of classes to include, mocking of builtins, etc. I’d love for it to hook up with Live Types, too.

Reply | Threaded
|

NorbertHartl
Ok,

but don‘t go to Stadtgarten on saturday and sunday. Camp Smalltalk is at our office.

Norbert

> Am 23.08.2019 um 19:47 schrieb David Mason <[hidden email]>:
>
> I’ll probably be at the Stadtgarden around 14:30 Saturday and early Sunday and will start working on this whenever anyone else shows up and is interested in working on it. There seem to be at least 4 people besides me.
>
> Known targets for transpilation include:
>   Javascript - PharoJS - working - dynamically typed, strange numeric stack - IWST papers describing mapping
>   JVM - PharoJVM - partial - statically typed, instance OO - IWST paper last year describing mapping
>   Illicium - ?working - statically typed, structs/unions - IWST paper this year
>   Python - dynamically typed, OO
>   SQL? - ? typed
>
> So lots of variation to think about. Would be nice for all of the above to subclass a generic transpiler. See my earlier message for other considerations
>
> ../Dave
> On  21.08.2019 at 18:18 David Mason <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I’m one of the principals for PharoJS which transpires from Smalltalk to Javascript
>> I’m the creator of PharoJVM which (is getting to) transpiling Smalltalk to JVM
>> I know there is new Pharo work on transpiling to C
>> There may be other transpires….
>>
>> I think it would be good to work on a common transpiration structure that we can all extend. Ideally it should have pluggable targets, pluggable type inference, etc. but common parsing, management of classes to include, mocking of builtins, etc. I’d love for it to hook up with Live Types, too.

Reply | Threaded
|

NorbertHartl
In reply to this post by Dave Mason
And just for the record. I wasn‘t talking more about NoSQL (mongo queries, AQL). Not sure the difference is big

> Am 23.08.2019 um 19:47 schrieb David Mason <[hidden email]>:
>
> I’ll probably be at the Stadtgarden around 14:30 Saturday and early Sunday and will start working on this whenever anyone else shows up and is interested in working on it. There seem to be at least 4 people besides me.
>
> Known targets for transpilation include:
>   Javascript - PharoJS - working - dynamically typed, strange numeric stack - IWST papers describing mapping
>   JVM - PharoJVM - partial - statically typed, instance OO - IWST paper last year describing mapping
>   Illicium - ?working - statically typed, structs/unions - IWST paper this year
>   Python - dynamically typed, OO
>   SQL? - ? typed
>
> So lots of variation to think about. Would be nice for all of the above to subclass a generic transpiler. See my earlier message for other considerations
>
> ../Dave
> On  21.08.2019 at 18:18 David Mason <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I’m one of the principals for PharoJS which transpires from Smalltalk to Javascript
>> I’m the creator of PharoJVM which (is getting to) transpiling Smalltalk to JVM
>> I know there is new Pharo work on transpiling to C
>> There may be other transpires….
>>
>> I think it would be good to work on a common transpiration structure that we can all extend. Ideally it should have pluggable targets, pluggable type inference, etc. but common parsing, management of classes to include, mocking of builtins, etc. I’d love for it to hook up with Live Types, too.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Camp Smalltalk project - transpiler infrastructureL at least

Dave Mason
SQL and NOSQL both interesting. NOSQL at least dynamically typed, I think.

And just so others don’t need to track it down, Camp Smalltalk is at ZWEIDENKER, Luxemburger Str. 72, 50674 Köln

../Dave
On Aug 23, 2019, 2:00 PM -0400, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]>, wrote:
And just for the record. I wasn‘t talking more about NoSQL (mongo queries, AQL). Not sure the difference is big

Am 23.08.2019 um 19:47 schrieb David Mason <[hidden email]>:

I’ll probably be at the Stadtgarden around 14:30 Saturday and early Sunday and will start working on this whenever anyone else shows up and is interested in working on it. There seem to be at least 4 people besides me.

Javascript - PharoJS - working - dynamically typed, strange numeric stack - IWST papers describing mapping
JVM - PharoJVM - partial - statically typed, instance OO - IWST paper last year describing mapping
SQL? - ? typed

So lots of variation to think about. Would be nice for all of the above to subclass a generic transpiler. See my earlier message for other considerations

../Dave
On 21.08.2019 at 18:18 David Mason <[hidden email]> wrote:

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Camp Smalltalk project - transpiler infrastructureL at least

NorbertHartl

Am 23.08.2019 um 22:08 schrieb David Mason <[hidden email]>:

SQL and NOSQL both interesting. NOSQL at least dynamically typed, I think.

And just so others don’t need to track it down, Camp Smalltalk is at ZWEIDENKER, Luxemburger Str. 72, 50674 Köln

You don‘t need to track it down. Just read it from https://esug.github.io/2019-Conference/camp2019.html

Norbert
../Dave
On Aug 23, 2019, 2:00 PM -0400, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]>, wrote:

Am 23.08.2019 um 19:47 schrieb David Mason <[hidden email]>:

SQL? - ? typed

../Dave
On 21.08.2019 at 18:18 David Mason <[hidden email]> wrote: