Can Dolphin interact with Java?

Birgit Jauernig
Does anyone know how to let Dolphin interact with a Java VM?

Birgit Jauernig

Re: Can Dolphin interact with Java?

Costas Menico
I don't think there is a straightforward way to do that.  Java doesn't
give you anyway of accessing COM/OLE. However you can always try
communicating through sockets or just plain files.

On Sat, 18 Aug 2001 16:55:16 GMT, "Birgit Jauernig"
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>Does anyone know how to let Dolphin interact with a Java VM?
>
>Birgit Jauernig

Re: Can Dolphin interact with Java?

Ted Bracht-2
Hi Birgit,

"Birgit Jauernig" <[hidden email]> wrote in message news:<U5xf7.36704$[hidden email]>...
> Does anyone know how to let Dolphin interact with a Java VM?
>
> Birgit Jauernig

End last year I played around in that area, but never managed to get
it to work. In *theory* you should be able to get hold of it if Java
runs on the Microsoft Java VM. Visual Basic uses the 'method'
GetObject, which makes use of this same principle. Once you get hold
of the object, you should be able to use it as any Dolphin object.
That said, I didn't have time to get it to work. Have a look in the
news archives (November 2000), Blair gave some additional suggestions.

Let me know how you get on, I might give it another try myself as
well.

Ted

Re: Can Dolphin interact with Java?

Mark Westwood
Birgit

Have you looked at Bistro ?  This was a system which mated Smalltalk
(not Dolphin though) to the Java VM, if memory serves me well.  Google
should track it down for you.

Regards
Mark Westwood

Birgit Jauernig wrote:

> Does anyone know how to let Dolphin interact with a Java VM?
>
> Birgit Jauernig

Re: Can Dolphin interact with Java?

Panu Viljamaa-3
Birgit Jauernig wrote:

> Does anyone know how to let Dolphin interact with a Java VM?
>
> Birgit Jauernig

When I open the "Active X Control Browser" from 'additional tools' in
Dolphin 4,  and choose New,  a list of available Active X controls is
displayed. On this list I can see "Java Plugin 1.3.1" (which probably
came to my machine along with Netscape).

This would seem to suggest that there is a way to connect to Java via
Active X ?    I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has tried this
route .

-Panu

Re: Can Dolphin interact with Java?

Blair McGlashan
Panu, Birgit

"Panu Viljamaa" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> Birgit Jauernig wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know how to let Dolphin interact with a Java VM?
> >
> > Birgit Jauernig
>
> When I open the "Active X Control Browser" from 'additional tools' in
> Dolphin 4,  and choose New,  a list of available Active X controls is
> displayed. On this list I can see "Java Plugin 1.3.1" (which probably
> came to my machine along with Netscape).
>
> This would seem to suggest that there is a way to connect to Java via
> Active X ?    I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has tried this
> route .

Well I don't know about that, but if you are using the Microsoft JVM then
all Java classes can be accessed as Active-X/COM objects via IDispatch. It
is also possible with a little (easy) work on the Java side to create a
"proper" Java COM component, in which case it can be used by Dolphin like
any other COM component. In fact I know of one project on which this has
been done successfully for some years - i.e. Dolphin hosting a Java based
COM component. COM is a language neutral binary standard, so the fact that
the COMponent is written in Java is not important to Dolphin* (although you
will notice a massive increase in its memory consumption after instantiating
a Java component :-)).

We don't have any experience of hosting Java based OCXs (visual Active-Xs)
in Dolphin.

Regards

Blair

*The one caveat here is that Dolphin enables most floating point exceptions
such as underflow and overflow by default. The MS JVM does not seem to be
prepared to handle this, and crashes rather horribly when it generates one
that Dolphin traps and handles. This is a bug in the JVM, since it should be
exception aware and will suffer the same problem even in a C host program
that enables and traps FP exceptions. The workaround to this is to change
the default FP exception mask, either permanently, or for the duration of
calls out to the component. See Process>>fpeMask[:].