Can I create a personal slice?

Tim Mackinnon
Hi - i was playing around with some changes in a few packages to see if I can make a contribution to PharoLauncher.

I want to version my spikes, in case I trash my image - but I’m not yet ready to propose anything to commit yet. While I can version each of the dirty packages - how can I group them to load them in one go? I thought maybe I could make a quick personal slice - store it in my personal file disk repository and then load it again if something goes wrong or I want to revert. However it seems that to create a slice I need a Fogbugz number - which seems more like I’m ready to contribute? Can’t I make a personal slice? Or is this where I have to use Metacello?

Tim

Re: Can I create a personal slice?

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Tim Mackinnon wrote
I want to version my spikes, in case I trash my image - but I’m not yet ready to propose anything to commit yet. While I can version each of the dirty packages - how can I group them to load them in one go?
I often make old fashioned changesets for this via the changes browser for that type of scenario
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Can I create a personal slice?

Ben Coman
Tim Mackinnon wrote:
> Hi - i was playing around with some changes in a few packages to see if I can make a contribution to PharoLauncher.
>
> I want to version my spikes, in case I trash my image - but I’m not yet ready to propose anything to commit yet. While I can version each of the dirty packages - how can I group them to load them in one go? I thought maybe I could make a quick personal slice - store it in my personal file disk repository and then load it again if something goes wrong or I want to revert. However it seems that to create a slice I need a Fogbugz number - which seems more like I’m ready to contribute? Can’t I make a personal slice? Or is this where I have to use Metacello?
>
> Tim

I believe you currently can't make a personal slice, but I've also
thought it would be useful.

Now here is a tip to explore the system.  Bring up the halos on the
"grab" but clicking three times until you get to the
PluggableButtonMorph, then click the "Debug" spanner icon and choose
"Inspect Morph" from the menu.  Scroll through the instance variables
until you see something that looks like it indicates what happens when
the button is pushed.  Various mechanisms are used and I don't remember
them between times I do this.  In this case it looks like
'actionSelector' is sued, but I also see 'actionBlock' and I think
sometimes its something else.  Put a halt in the called method, click
the button and trace through to see how it works.  Modify to suit your
needs.

cheers -ben

Re: Can I create a personal slice?

Tim Mackinnon
Hi Ben - I’m familiar with what you describe, and I guess I will have a poke.

I have noticed I can type - 0000, and put some text like “Person—MyChanges-description” - so maybe I should just do that in my repo?

Sean’s suggestion of a change set is a decent fallback, however given we have code repositories it seems right to want to flag a group of packages together to easily reload. No-one has mentioned metacello - so I’m assuming that is more heavy-weight than what I should need right?

Tim

Tim Mackinnon wrote:
Hi Ben - I’m familiar with what you describe, and I guess I will have a poke.

I have noticed I can type - 0000, and put some text like “Person—MyChanges-description” - so maybe I should just do that in my repo?

Sean’s suggestion of a change set is a decent fallback, however given we have code repositories it seems right to want to flag a group of packages together to easily reload. No-one has mentioned metacello - so I’m assuming that is more heavy-weight than what I should need right?

That probably used to be the case, but the balance may have tipped with Versioneer built into Pharo 4.

btw, have you Mariano's post on personal use of Metacello.
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com/2011/11/19/loading-projects-and-building-your-own-images-with-metacello/

Tim Mackinnon wrote:

[...]

stepharo
A slice is just a normal package with depend packages.
You can also put a dummy number and commit locally to your local cache.

Stef

On 10/8/14 08:58, Tim Mackinnon wrote:
> Hi Ben - I’m familiar with what you describe, and I guess I will have a poke.
>
> I have noticed I can type - 0000, and put some text like “Person—MyChanges-description” - so maybe I should just do that in my repo?

yes

> Sean’s suggestion of a change set is a decent fallback, however given we have code repositories it seems right to want to flag a group of packages together to easily reload. No-one has mentioned metacello - so I’m assuming that is more heavy-weight than what I should need right?
indeed
just save a slice in your local repo and it will work.

> Tim
>
> On 10 Aug 2014, at 02:15, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Tim Mackinnon wrote:
>>> Hi - i was playing around with some changes in a few packages to see if I can make a contribution to PharoLauncher.
>>>
>>> I want to version my spikes, in case I trash my image - but I’m not yet ready to propose anything to commit yet. While I can version each of the dirty packages - how can I group them to load them in one go? I thought maybe I could make a quick personal slice - store it in my personal file disk repository and then load it again if something goes wrong or I want to revert. However it seems that to create a slice I need a Fogbugz number - which seems more like I’m ready to contribute? Can’t I make a personal slice? Or is this where I have to use Metacello?
>>>
>>> Tim
>>>

>> I believe you currently can't make a personal slice, but I've also thought it would be useful.
>>
>> Now here is a tip to explore the system.  Bring up the halos on the "grab" but clicking three times until you get to the PluggableButtonMorph, then click the "Debug" spanner icon and choose "Inspect Morph" from the menu.  Scroll through the instance variables until you see something that looks like it indicates what happens when the button is pushed.  Various mechanisms are used and I don't remember them between times I do this.  In this case it looks like 'actionSelector' is sued, but I also see 'actionBlock' and I think sometimes its something else.  Put a halt in the called method, click the button and trace through to see how it works.  Modify to suit your needs.
>>
>> cheers -ben

Re: Can I create a personal slice?

Tim Mackinnon
I will make a not to try Versioneer (although the image I am using is the one PharoLauncher is built in, which is 3.0).

Anyway - I did try making a slice with bug number 0, and my own description, and it let me create one and save it in my own repository. I’m not sure if there are any bad ramifications to this - but it looks fine. Would be interesting if anyone could comment on this (and I will check out Versioneer - although it still sounds like overkill for some temporary work I just want to version together).

Tim

Tim Mackinnon wrote:

[...]

Benjamin Van Ryseghem (Pharo)
A slice is basically just a set of mcz files
So there is no problem at all to use slices for your personal projects :)

Ben

Tim Mackinnon wrote:

[...]

Thanks guys - I was offline and didn't notice the replies. Definitely good to know I can do this.

Tim

Sent from my iPhone