Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can I use tODE in this context?

GLASS mailing list

On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 2:28 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 09/15/2015 10:05 AM, Dale Henrichs wrote:

On 09/15/2015 08:10 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

I'm going to guess that GS_HOME is not defined ... it needs to be defined in the shell when you start your netldi run this tODE shell command :

eval `{System clientEnvironmentVariable: 'GS_HOME'. System gemEnvironmentVariable: 'GS_HOME'}`; edit

mmmm i get this:

tode 1 >   eval `{System clientEnvironmentVariable: 'GS_HOME'. System gemEnvironmentVariable: 'GS_HOME'}`; edit
[82042625 sz:1 Array] anArray( anArray( '/Users/mariano/gsDevKitHome', nil))
tode 1 > script --script=setUpSys
Topez ERROR: a TodeCommandError occurred (error 121000), File or directory not found: '$GS_HOME/tode/sys/default'

mmm why it cannot get the variable...mmm I must run now...will be back later

Okay ... GS_HOME is defined in your client (the pharo client) and not defined in the gem (this the error) ... the environment variables for a gem are inherited from the netldi process (netldi forks the gems) and the netldi inherits the envirnment variables from the shell in which it was started ... presumably you started the netldi long before GS_HOME was defined ...

we can get around the use of GS_HOME if you don't want to restart the netldi ... to debug a TodeCommandError use the built-in tODE shell command `debugMode --set` ... then when you get a TodeCommandError a debugger will come up instead of the simple error message - that way we can get more detail on where $GS_HOME is being used ...

Good for future reference!
Is there a place where you have documented the built-in commands like "script" ,  "debugMode", etc ?

Thanks!

--

Reply | Threaded
|

GLASS mailing list
OK Dale, I run "script --script=setUpSys" and it seems to have worked, 

tode 1 > cd /sys/stones
[84004353 sz:9 TDObjectGatewayNode] /sys/stones/
tode 1 > ls
mariano/  quuve/  README.md  tode/  todeRemote/
tode 1 > cd /sys
[84053505 sz:6 TDDirectoryNode] /sys/
tode 1 > ls
default@/  local@/  stone@/  stones@/
tode 1 > cd local/
[84011521 sz:9 TDObjectGatewayNode] /sys/local/
tode 1 > ls
client/  git/  home/  monticello/  pharo/  projects/  README.md  server/  snapshots/  templates/
tode 1 > 

right?   :)

Thanks for your help

On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 3:41 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

I'm going to guess that GS_HOME is not defined ... it needs to be defined in the shell when you start your netldi run this tODE shell command :

eval `{System clientEnvironmentVariable: 'GS_HOME'. System gemEnvironmentVariable: 'GS_HOME'}`; edit

mmmm i get this:

tode 1 >   eval `{System clientEnvironmentVariable: 'GS_HOME'. System gemEnvironmentVariable: 'GS_HOME'}`; edit
Topez ERROR: a TodeCommandError occurred (error 121000), File or directory not found: '$GS_HOME/tode/sys/default'

Okay ... GS_HOME is defined in your client (the pharo client) and not defined in the gem (this the error) ... the environment variables for a gem are inherited from the netldi process (netldi forks the gems) and the netldi inherits the envirnment variables from the shell in which it was started ... presumably you started the netldi long before GS_HOME was defined ...

we can get around the use of GS_HOME if you don't want to restart the netldi ... to debug a TodeCommandError use the built-in tODE shell command `debugMode --set` ... then when you get a TodeCommandError a debugger will come up instead of the simple error message - that way we can get more detail on where $GS_HOME is being used ...

Is there a place where you have documented the built-in commands like "script" ,  "debugMode", etc ?

Thanks!

--

--

Reply | Threaded
|

GLASS mailing list
In reply to this post by GLASS mailing list

On 09/15/2015 11:41 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

the builtIns command (a built-in) lists and describes the built-ins and each built-in has help available via the -h option .... I should probably put this into the banner for the shell console[1]  ...

Dale

[1] Issue #75: port lazy initialization avoidance to Squeak, Squeak.v32 and Squeak.v3 packages from Squeak.v33

Reply | Threaded
|

GLASS mailing list
Yep! Whew:)

Dale

On 09/15/2015 11:51 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
OK Dale, I run "script --script=setUpSys" and it seems to have worked, 

tode 1 > cd /sys/stones
[84004353 sz:9 TDObjectGatewayNode] /sys/stones/
tode 1 > ls
mariano/  quuve/  README.md  tode/  todeRemote/
tode 1 > cd /sys
[84053505 sz:6 TDDirectoryNode] /sys/
tode 1 > ls
default@/  local@/  stone@/  stones@/
tode 1 > cd local/
[84011521 sz:9 TDObjectGatewayNode] /sys/local/
tode 1 > ls
client/  git/  home/  monticello/  pharo/  projects/  README.md  server/  snapshots/  templates/
tode 1 > 

right?   :)

Thanks for your help

On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 3:41 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

mmmm i get this:

Thanks!

--

--

Reply | Threaded
|

GLASS mailing list

On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 3:56 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 09/15/2015 11:41 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

the builtIns command (a built-in) lists and describes the built-ins and each built-in has help available via the -h option .... I should probably put this into the banner for the shell console[1]  ...

Yes please!!! I would put a new entry in the welcome:

Welcome to tODE. 
- Enter `help` for information on logging into GemStone. 
- Enter `man gs gemtools` an intro to tODE for GemTools users. 
- Enter `man --all` for information on tODE commands.
- Enter `builtIns` to list descriptions of built-in commands. 
- Enter `project list` to get busy...

I will open an issue. 

Dale

[1] Issue #75: port lazy initialization avoidance to Squeak, Squeak.v32 and Squeak.v3 packages from Squeak.v33

--