Can Squeak display chinese?

Simon Chan-3
Hi all, I am a total beginner, just started few days.

I just found smalltalk has the nicest development environment I have even seen,
especially the image persistent.

Persistent has always been a problem to me, I always wanted to create some personal applications,
but persistent problem has always stop me, I just hate using relational database, creating sequences,
dropping and adding fields, during the development it's a very painful experience.

The only problem I am having is that it cannot display chinese characters, I really want to develop something simple wihout rdb.

How do I make Squeak displaying chinese characters, all chinese characters are shown as ?

Can anyone help me, thx a lot!

Re: Can Squeak display chinese?

David T. Lewis
On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 01:49:08AM +0800, Simon Chan wrote:

> How do I make Squeak displaying chinese characters, all chinese characters
> are shown as ?

I do not know the answer to your question, but there was a mailing list
for Squeak in China. It does not appear to be active, but perhaps there
will be some information in the list archives:

A lot of work has been done in recent years to support multilingual Squeak
for EToys and OLPC. You may be able to find some information in the
archives of this mailing list:

The main squeak-dev mailing list also is a good place to ask for help:

- Dave

Re: Can Squeak display chinese?

Kyle Hamilton
A better set of questions would be:

1) Does Squeak support Unicode?
2) Does Squeak have or can it use a font that has the Chinese glyphs?

-Kyle H

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 2:49 PM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 01:49:08AM +0800, Simon Chan wrote:
>>
>> How do I make Squeak displaying chinese characters, all chinese characters
>> are shown as ?
>
> I do not know the answer to your question, but there was a mailing list
> for Squeak in China. It does not appear to be active, but perhaps there
> will be some information in the list archives:
>
> A lot of work has been done in recent years to support multilingual Squeak
> for EToys and OLPC. You may be able to find some information in the
> archives of this mailing list:
>
> The main squeak-dev mailing list also is a good place to ask for help:
>
> - Dave

Re: Can Squeak display chinese?

Yoshiki Ohshima-2
At Thu, 23 Oct 2008 01:49:08 +0800,
Simon Chan wrote:

> [1  <multipart/alternative (7bit)>]
> [1.1  <text/plain; ISO-8859-1 (7bit)>]
>
> [1.2  <text/html; ISO-8859-1 (7bit)>]
> Hi all, I am a total beginner, just started few days.
>
> I just found smalltalk has the nicest development environment I have even seen,
> especially the image persistent.
>
> Persistent has always been a problem to me, I always wanted to create some personal applications,
> but persistent problem has always stop me, I just hate using relational database, creating sequences,
> dropping and adding fields, during the development it's a very painful experience.
>
> The only problem I am having is that it cannot display chinese characters, I really want to develop something simple
> wihout rdb.
>
> How do I make Squeak displaying chinese characters, all chinese characters are shown as ?
>
> Can anyone help me, thx a lot!

http://code.google.com/p/chinesesqueak/

would be a good start.  For other images, download
uSimplifiedChineseFont.out from:

http://code.google.com/p/chinesesqueak/source/browse/branches/3.8/src/uSimplifiedChineseFont.out?r=38

and evaluate:

StrikeFontSet installExternalFontFileName6: 'uSimplifiedChineseFont.out' encoding: SimplifiedChineseEnvironment leadingChar encodingName: #SimplifiedChinese textStyleName: #DefaultMultiStyle.

(which is in the comment of StrikeFontSet
class>>installExternalFontFileName6:encoding:encodingName:textStyleName:)

then do some more tricks (depending on your image version) and it
should do something.

-- Yoshiki

Re: Can Squeak display chinese?

Simon Chan-3