Can't Install Launcher on Mac Mojave

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Just dl-ed launcher from Pharo.org. Attempting to open Iceberg gives:
"NotFound: Could not find repository from '/'". Seems to be coming from
libgit. Anyone else seeing this?

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: Can't Install Launcher on Mac Mojave

Max Leske
Nope. I downloaded launcher just 20 minutes ago on Mojave and am using
it without problems. Where did you extract it to? Did you extract it as
a different user? Did you try to run it from within the .dmg directly?

Max

On 13 Feb 2019, at 3:42, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> Just dl-ed launcher from Pharo.org. Attempting to open Iceberg gives:
> "NotFound: Could not find repository from '/'". Seems to be coming
> from
> libgit. Anyone else seeing this?
>

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean
> --
> Sent from:
> http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Developers-f1294837.html

Re: Can't Install Launcher on Mac Mojave

demarey
Hi Sean,

There was a similar issue on Linux: https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-launcher/issues/307

It works with 1.7.2 on my laptop but I’m able to reproduce the error if I put PharoLauncher in a location containing non ASCII characters, I get the same error.
To fix this, in PL image, edit VirtualMachine>>#fullPath with:
        ^(self getSystemAttribute: 0) asByteArray utf8Decoded

It is a problem with the Pharo image. Encoding is not managed everywhere.

Tell me if it fixes your problem.

Christophe

> Le 13 févr. 2019 à 03:42, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Just dl-ed launcher from Pharo.org. Attempting to open Iceberg gives:
> "NotFound: Could not find repository from '/'". Seems to be coming from
> libgit. Anyone else seeing this?
>

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean
> --
> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Developers-f1294837.html

Re: Can't Install Launcher on Mac Mojave

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Max Leske wrote
> Nope. I downloaded launcher just 20 minutes ago on Mojave and am using
> it without problems.

Weird. Nuked startup preferences folder just in case. fullPath modification
didn't help.

>Where did you extract it to?
~/Application

> Did you extract it as a different user?
Doesn't look like it

> Did you try to run it from within the .dmg directly?
No. Opened the dmg, dragged it into apps folder, then opened that

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: Can't Install Launcher on Mac Mojave

Max Leske
I downloaded it again, extracted it to /Applications, ran Pharo7-64bit
and opened Iceberg without issues. Launcher created the working
directory at ~/Documents/Pharo, which should be fine w.r.t. permissions.

I'm out of ideas...

On 13 Feb 2019, at 19:23, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> Max Leske wrote
>> Nope. I downloaded launcher just 20 minutes ago on Mojave and am
>> using
>> it without problems.
>
> Weird. Nuked startup preferences folder just in case. fullPath
> modification
> didn't help.
>
>> Where did you extract it to?
> ~/Application
>
>> Did you extract it as a different user?
> Doesn't look like it
>
>> Did you try to run it from within the .dmg directly?
> No. Opened the dmg, dragged it into apps folder, then opened that
>

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean
> --
> Sent from:
> http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Developers-f1294837.html

Re: Can't Install Launcher on Mac Mojave

demarey

> Le 13 févr. 2019 à 19:23, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Max Leske wrote
>> Nope. I downloaded launcher just 20 minutes ago on Mojave and am using
>> it without problems.
>
> Weird. Nuked startup preferences folder just in case. fullPath modification
> didn't help.
>
>> Where did you extract it to?
> ~/Application
>
>> Did you extract it as a different user?
> Doesn't look like it
>
>> Did you try to run it from within the .dmg directly?
> No. Opened the dmg, dragged it into apps folder, then opened that

ok. I see.
When building PharoLauncher, Metacello loads PL code with url:
        Metacello new
                baseline: 'PharoLauncher’;
                repository: 'gitlocal://src';
                load
In PL, if you inspect IceRepository registry, you will notice a repository IceLibGitRepository(.) corresponding to the above expression.
when you run PL from UI, working directory is /, IceLibGitRepository(.) then is resolved to / => no git repo there.
That’s why you get: Could not find repository from ‘/'

Here is a fix for it:
(IceRepository registeredRepositoryIncludingPackage: (RPackageOrganizer default packageNamed: 'PharoLauncher-Core'))
        name: 'pharo-launcher';
        location: nil

Christophe

https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-launcher/issues/311

> Le 14 févr. 2019 à 10:57, Christophe Demarey <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>

>> Le 13 févr. 2019 à 19:23, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>
>> Max Leske wrote
>>> Nope. I downloaded launcher just 20 minutes ago on Mojave and am using
>>> it without problems.
>>
>> Weird. Nuked startup preferences folder just in case. fullPath modification
>> didn't help.
>>
>>> Where did you extract it to?
>> ~/Application
>>
>>> Did you extract it as a different user?
>> Doesn't look like it
>>
>>> Did you try to run it from within the .dmg directly?
>> No. Opened the dmg, dragged it into apps folder, then opened that
>
> ok. I see.
> When building PharoLauncher, Metacello loads PL code with url:
> Metacello new
> baseline: 'PharoLauncher’;
> repository: 'gitlocal://src';
> load
> In PL, if you inspect IceRepository registry, you will notice a repository IceLibGitRepository(.) corresponding to the above expression.
> when you run PL from UI, working directory is /, IceLibGitRepository(.) then is resolved to / => no git repo there.
> That’s why you get: Could not find repository from ‘/'
>
> Here is a fix for it:
> (IceRepository registeredRepositoryIncludingPackage: (RPackageOrganizer default packageNamed: 'PharoLauncher-Core'))
> name: 'pharo-launcher';
> location: nil
>
> Christophe

Re: Can't Install Launcher on Mac Mojave

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
demarey wrote
> Here is a fix for it:
> (IceRepository registeredRepositoryIncludingPackage: (RPackageOrganizer
> default packageNamed: 'PharoLauncher-Core'))
> name: 'pharo-launcher';
> location: nil

That worked! Thanks. I wonder why Max did not get the error, though…

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Probably because the email title is « can’t install launcher … » and the issue only raises if you try to open Iceberg ;)

Re: Can't Install Launcher on Mac Mojave

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
demarey wrote
> Probably because the email title is « can’t install launcher … » and the
> issue only raises if you try to open Iceberg ;)

Except Max said:
I downloaded it again... and opened Iceberg without issues.
!!

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: Can't Install Launcher on Mac Mojave

demarey

> Le 14 févr. 2019 à 22:34, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> demarey wrote
>> Probably because the email title is « can’t install launcher … » and the
>> issue only raises if you try to open Iceberg ;)
>
> Except Max said:
> I downloaded it again... and opened Iceberg without issues.
> !!

Good catch. I should have read more carefully!
Indeed, strange that Max did not get the issue.

Could it be that Max tried to open it in a launched image?

Could it be that Max tried to open it in a launched image?

Re: Can't Install Launcher on Mac Mojave

demarey
So, problem solved.
Thanks for the clarification Max.