Can't connect from Mac

Gemstone/S mailing list
Hey folks…slowly making my way back to GemStone but having some challenges…

I’m trying to connect using GemBuilder for VisualWorks (I’m running VW9.0…but I had the same issue with 8.3.2) via RPC to a GemStone server (running in a docker container).  NetLDI in the docker container does not report any connection attempts.  The error that I get is GbsHostErrCantSpawn with the “reason”:

NetLDI service ''gs64ldi'' not found on node ''::1'', service not found, getaddrinfo failed, EAI error 8, nodename nor servname provided, or not known, ; NetLDI service ''gs64ldi'' is not running on ''::1’'

I verified:

~ grep gs64ldi /etc/services
gs64ldi 40055 #NetLDI

It isn’t a docker port forwarding problem because connecting using nc elicits a timeout log message in the NetLDI logs whereas VisualWorks does not even seem to attempt to connect.

I’ve tried various repository strings:
  gs64stone
  !@localhost#netldi:40055!gs64stone
  !@127.0.0.1#netldi:40055!gs64stone

But the error was the same each time.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Thanks!

David