Can't file in *.st exports

Robert Sirois
There's some sort of weird system error when I try to fileIn a *.st file (like a class method). It asks me to "CR" for a debugger or any key to restart. I ended up having to force quit.

This is in the latest 1.1 one-click.

Thanks,
RS

Re: Can't file in *.st exports

Peter Hugosson-Miller
Pardon me for being blunt, Robert, but we're going to need a bit more to go on than "some sort of weird system error".

Could you please attach a file that you tried to file in, and maybe a screenshot of the error? It would certainly increase your chances of getting some help ;-)

Peter.

On 19 aug 2010, at 17:11, Robert Sirois <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There's some sort of weird system error when I try to fileIn a *.st file (like a class method). It asks me to "CR" for a debugger or any key to restart. I ended up having to force quit.
>
> This is in the latest 1.1 one-click.
>
> Thanks,
> RS

Re: Can't file in *.st exports

Robert Sirois
No problem, Pharo's driving me crazy today hehe.

It says: "*** system error handling failed ***" (see attached image).

Thanks,
RS

> From: [hidden email]
> Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 17:33:03 +0200
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Pharo-project] Can't file in *.st exports
>
> Pardon me for being blunt, Robert, but we're going to need a bit more to go on than "some sort of weird system error".
>
> Could you please attach a file that you tried to file in, and maybe a screenshot of the error? It would certainly increase your chances of getting some help ;-)

> Peter.
>
> On 19 aug 2010, at 17:11, Robert Sirois <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > There's some sort of weird system error when I try to fileIn a *.st file (like a class method). It asks me to "CR" for a debugger or any key to restart. I ended up having to force quit.
> >
> > This is in the latest 1.1 one-click.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > RS

pharoError.tiff (147K) Download Attachment

Re: Can't file in *.st exports

Peter Hugosson-Miller
Better :-) The attached image is of a stack trace that shows where the error occurs, which is certainly helpful!

During the execution of ArrayedCollection>>#mergeSortFrom:to:by:, the message #clone is sent to an instance of Array, and the message is not understood, which means that there is no method called #clone in the Array class or any of its superclasses.

So the question is, why is the message being sent, when no corresponding method exists on the receiver? One possibility is that there is an error in the method where the #clone message is being sent, or that the missing method just hasn't been filed in yet. The next step would probably be to look at the file being filed in, and see what methods it contains. Perhaps it depends on another file that needs to be filed in first?

Peter

2010/8/19 Robert Sirois <[hidden email]>
No problem, Pharo's driving me crazy today hehe.

It says: "*** system error handling failed ***" (see attached image).

Thanks,
RS

> From: [hidden email]
> Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 17:33:03 +0200
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Pharo-project] Can't file in *.st exports

> Pardon me for being blunt, Robert, but we're going to need a bit more to go on than "some sort of weird system error".
>
> Could you please attach a file that you tried to file in, and maybe a screenshot of the error? It would certainly increase your chances of getting some help ;-)

> Peter.
>
> On 19 aug 2010, at 17:11, Robert Sirois <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > There's some sort of weird system error when I try to fileIn a *.st file (like a class method). It asks me to "CR" for a debugger or any key to restart. I ended up having to force quit.
> >
> > This is in the latest 1.1 one-click.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > RS

Re: Can't file in *.st exports

Nicolas Cellier
clone has been removed from Pharo 1.1 in favour of shallowCopy (they
behave the same).
The removal was a bit zealous, and did not follow any deprecation policy.
So it makes it a bit harder to load some packages.
But I think lessons are learned: Steph proposed to keep deprecated
methods across 2 minor releases.

Nicolas

2010/8/19 Peter Hugosson-Miller <[hidden email]>:

> Better :-) The attached image is of a stack trace that shows where the error
> occurs, which is certainly helpful!
>
> During the execution of ArrayedCollection>>#mergeSortFrom:to:by:, the
> message #clone is sent to an instance of Array, and the message is not
> understood, which means that there is no method called #clone in the Array
> class or any of its superclasses.
>
> So the question is, why is the message being sent, when no corresponding
> method exists on the receiver? One possibility is that there is an error in
> the method where the #clone message is being sent, or that the missing
> method just hasn't been filed in yet. The next step would probably be to
> look at the file being filed in, and see what methods it contains. Perhaps
> it depends on another file that needs to be filed in first?

> Peter
>
> 2010/8/19 Robert Sirois <[hidden email]>
>>
>> No problem, Pharo's driving me crazy today hehe.
>> It says: "*** system error handling failed ***" (see attached image).
>> Thanks,
>> RS
>> > From: [hidden email]
>> > Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 17:33:03 +0200
>> > To: [hidden email]
>> > Subject: Re: [Pharo-project] Can't file in *.st exports
>> >
>> > Pardon me for being blunt, Robert, but we're going to need a bit more to
>> > go on than "some sort of weird system error".
>> >
>> > Could you please attach a file that you tried to file in, and maybe a
>> > screenshot of the error? It would certainly increase your chances of getting
>> > some help ;-)
>> >
>> > --
>> > Cheers,
>> > Peter.

Re: Can't file in *.st exports

Henrik Sperre Johansen
There are three senders of #clone in the 1.1 One-click image, all part of the sound package.
(I've uploaded a new version to PharoSound where this is fixed, and #copy occurences replaced with #postCopy implementations instead).

ArrayedCollection>>mergeSortFrom:to:by uses shallowCopy.
I'd check what code you've imported which has changed that.

Cheers,
Henry

On Aug 19, 2010, at 6:49 43PM, Peter Hugosson-Miller wrote:

Better :-) The attached image is of a stack trace that shows where the error occurs, which is certainly helpful!

During the execution of ArrayedCollection>>#mergeSortFrom:to:by:, the message #clone is sent to an instance of Array, and the message is not understood, which means that there is no method called #clone in the Array class or any of its superclasses.

So the question is, why is the message being sent, when no corresponding method exists on the receiver? One possibility is that there is an error in the method where the #clone message is being sent, or that the missing method just hasn't been filed in yet. The next step would probably be to look at the file being filed in, and see what methods it contains. Perhaps it depends on another file that needs to be filed in first?

Peter

2010/8/19 Robert Sirois <[hidden email]>
No problem, Pharo's driving me crazy today hehe.

It says: "*** system error handling failed ***" (see attached image).

Thanks,
RS

> From: [hidden email]
> Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 17:33:03 +0200
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Pharo-project] Can't file in *.st exports

> Pardon me for being blunt, Robert, but we're going to need a bit more to go on than "some sort of weird system error".
>
> Could you please attach a file that you tried to file in, and maybe a screenshot of the error? It would certainly increase your chances of getting some help ;-)

> Peter.
>
> On 19 aug 2010, at 17:11, Robert Sirois <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > There's some sort of weird system error when I try to fileIn a *.st file (like a class method). It asks me to "CR" for a debugger or any key to restart. I ended up having to force quit.
> >
> > This is in the latest 1.1 one-click.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > RS

Re: Can't file in *.st exports

Stéphane Ducasse
Thanks henrik, you uploaded the code in the pharoNonCore repo?

Stef

On Aug 19, 2010, at 8:20 PM, Henrik Johansen wrote:

> There are three senders of #clone in the 1.1 One-click image, all part of the sound package.
> (I've uploaded a new version to PharoSound where this is fixed, and #copy occurences replaced with #postCopy implementations instead).
>
> ArrayedCollection>>mergeSortFrom:to:by uses shallowCopy.
> I'd check what code you've imported which has changed that.
>
> Cheers,
> Henry
>

> On Aug 19, 2010, at 6:49 43PM, Peter Hugosson-Miller wrote:
>
>> Better :-) The attached image is of a stack trace that shows where the error occurs, which is certainly helpful!
>>
>> During the execution of ArrayedCollection>>#mergeSortFrom:to:by:, the message #clone is sent to an instance of Array, and the message is not understood, which means that there is no method called #clone in the Array class or any of its superclasses.
>>
>> So the question is, why is the message being sent, when no corresponding method exists on the receiver? One possibility is that there is an error in the method where the #clone message is being sent, or that the missing method just hasn't been filed in yet. The next step would probably be to look at the file being filed in, and see what methods it contains. Perhaps it depends on another file that needs to be filed in first?
>>
>> --
>> Cheers,
>> Peter
>>
>> 2010/8/19 Robert Sirois <[hidden email]>
>> No problem, Pharo's driving me crazy today hehe.
>>
>> It says: "*** system error handling failed ***" (see attached image).
>>
>> Thanks,
>> RS
>>
>> > From: [hidden email]
>> > Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 17:33:03 +0200
>> > To: [hidden email]
>> > Subject: Re: [Pharo-project] Can't file in *.st exports
>>

>> > Pardon me for being blunt, Robert, but we're going to need a bit more to go on than "some sort of weird system error".
>> >
>> > Could you please attach a file that you tried to file in, and maybe a screenshot of the error? It would certainly increase your chances of getting some help ;-)
>> >
>> > --
>> > Cheers,
>> > Peter.

Re: Can't file in *.st exports

Henrik Sperre Johansen
No, PharoSound on squeaksource, I also merged some fixes from squeak trunk a few weeks ago.

Den 19. aug. 2010 kl. 22:13 skrev Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:

> Thanks henrik, you uploaded the code in the pharoNonCore repo?
>
> Stef
>
> On Aug 19, 2010, at 8:20 PM, Henrik Johansen wrote:
>
>> There are three senders of #clone in the 1.1 One-click image, all part of the sound package.
>> (I've uploaded a new version to PharoSound where this is fixed, and #copy occurences replaced with #postCopy implementations instead).
>>
>> ArrayedCollection>>mergeSortFrom:to:by uses shallowCopy.
>> I'd check what code you've imported which has changed that.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Henry
>>

>> On Aug 19, 2010, at 6:49 43PM, Peter Hugosson-Miller wrote:
>>
>>> Better :-) The attached image is of a stack trace that shows where the error occurs, which is certainly helpful!
>>>
>>> During the execution of ArrayedCollection>>#mergeSortFrom:to:by:, the message #clone is sent to an instance of Array, and the message is not understood, which means that there is no method called #clone in the Array class or any of its superclasses.
>>>
>>> So the question is, why is the message being sent, when no corresponding method exists on the receiver? One possibility is that there is an error in the method where the #clone message is being sent, or that the missing method just hasn't been filed in yet. The next step would probably be to look at the file being filed in, and see what methods it contains. Perhaps it depends on another file that needs to be filed in first?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Cheers,
>>> Peter
>>>
>>> 2010/8/19 Robert Sirois <[hidden email]>
>>> No problem, Pharo's driving me crazy today hehe.
>>>
>>> It says: "*** system error handling failed ***" (see attached image).
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> RS

Re: Can't file in *.st exports

Robert Sirois
Could the same also be true of Number, Dictionary, and OrderedCollection? I'll have to double check at home, but I was also trying to import additions to those classes as well.

Thanks for the info,
RS