Can't use Blox on OpenSUSE

Mike S
Hi all. Great work on gst. It's really wonderful. It's small, it's fast,
has a c-interface, it's just great.

Unfortunately, I can't use Blox. I made sure I had tcl/tk installed, and
tcl-devel and tk-devel too. I told the configure script --with-tcl and
--with-tk to both tclConfig.sh and tkConfig.sh and yet it won't work. I
tried building tcl/tk from source myself and telling the configure script
to use the tclConfig.sh and tkConfig.sh I built myself and yet it won't
work.

Is it possible to use it without Bloxtk, from the command line? I don't
want to use GTK (actually, even that didn't work, even though I had the
cario libs installed). I like tcl/tk and I may be able to contribute to
bloxtk. I feel lost without a squeak/pharo like IDE though.

Is it possibly to use GST entirely from the REPL? without any GUI? what
methods do I need to find my way around? (for example, in python there's
dir() and help() and in ruby there's .methods and in tcl there's info).

Thanks.

Re: Can't use Blox on OpenSUSE

Holger Freyther
On Mon, Mar 03, 2014 at 11:11:40PM +0000, Mike S wrote:

Hi,

> Hi all. Great work on gst. It's really wonderful. It's small, it's fast,
> has a c-interface, it's just great.

yeah. Paolo created something really nice. I like the I/O model of
GST so much more than pharo. :)

> Unfortunately, I can't use Blox. I made sure I had tcl/tk installed, and
> tcl-devel and tk-devel too. I told the configure script --with-tcl and
> --with-tk to both tclConfig.sh and tkConfig.sh and yet it won't work. I
> tried building tcl/tk from source myself and telling the configure script
> to use the tclConfig.sh and tkConfig.sh I built myself and yet it won't
> work.

What exactly doesn't work? configure claims that it can't find Tcl/TK?
Or does GST fail to load the package with tcl/tk? If it is configure can
you please take a look at config.log and search for the tcl/tk results?

> Is it possible to use it without Bloxtk, from the command line? I don't
> want to use GTK (actually, even that didn't work, even though I had the
> cario libs installed). I like tcl/tk and I may be able to contribute to
> bloxtk. I feel lost without a squeak/pharo like IDE though.

What is the issue with GTK and VisualGST? The tooling is squeak/pharo is
really great and we have a lot to catch up. My current focus is improving
the VisualGST debugger support (in the last months we already gained full
view of all variables, restarting a method/frame, fixes to step over and
step into, etc.). The next big thing would be to figure out how to get
something like Monticello/Filetree into VisualGST and combine the power
of having something like vi and grep but still do a lot of the development
inside VisualGST/image.

> Is it possibly to use GST entirely from the REPL? without any GUI? what
> methods do I need to find my way around? (for example, in python there's
> dir() and help() and in ruby there's .methods and in tcl there's info).

Sure. It is smalltalk after all.

 something inspect. will print a representation of the object
 something class selectors. will print all selectors

 (something >> #selector) methodSourceString will print you the
 method code

 (something >> #selector) inspect will print the bytecode and some
 other information about the CompiledMethod.

 (something lookupSelector: #selector) in case you don't know in
 which class #selector is defined.

Re: Can't use Blox on OpenSUSE

Mike S
Hi all and thanks for the replies.

On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 8:29 PM, Holger Hans Peter Freyther <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 03, 2014 at 11:11:40PM +0000, Mike S wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> > Hi all. Great work on gst. It's really wonderful. It's small, it's fast,
> > has a c-interface, it's just great.
>
> yeah. Paolo created something really nice. I like the I/O model of
> GST so much more than pharo. :)

It's also 64 bit. Pharo/squeak is only 32bit.  And Lightning is fantastic,
so is the accurate, generational, incremental, compacting Garbage
Collector. All this and it only takes 1mb of memory! Amazing. A true gem.

> > Unfortunately, I can't use Blox. I made sure I had tcl/tk installed, and
> > tcl-devel and tk-devel too. I told the configure script --with-tcl and
> > --with-tk to both tclConfig.sh and tkConfig.sh and yet it won't work. I
> > tried building tcl/tk from source myself and telling the configure script
> > to use the tclConfig.sh and tkConfig.sh I built myself and yet it won't
> > work.
>
> What exactly doesn't work? configure claims that it can't find Tcl/TK?
> Or does GST fail to load the package with tcl/tk? If it is configure can
> you please take a look at config.log and search for the tcl/tk results?

It can't Tcl/TK as installed from the openSUSE repositories. Even when it
point it to it with --with-tcl and --with-tk

These are the contents of tclConfig.sh
http://paste.opensuse.org/52925308and tkConfig.sh as per installed
from the openSUSE repositories
http://paste.opensuse.org/52925308
http://paste.opensuse.org/87206140

the config.log generated by ./configure was too long to paste

The only way i managed to get it to recognize find them was by compiling
tcl/tk myself and then pointing it to it in the build directory, it said in
the config.log that it found them but it still gave me an error when i
tried to start gst-blox. What's more, the tcl/tk i got wasn't anti-aliased
as the one installed from the openSUSE directory was.

> > Is it possible to use it without Bloxtk, from the command line? I don't
> > want to use GTK (actually, even that didn't work, even though I had the
> > cario libs installed). I like tcl/tk and I may be able to contribute to
> > bloxtk. I feel lost without a squeak/pharo like IDE though.
>
> What is the issue with GTK and VisualGST? The tooling is squeak/pharo is
> really great and we have a lot to catch up. My current focus is improving
> the VisualGST debugger support (in the last months we already gained full
> view of all variables, restarting a method/frame, fixes to step over and
> step into, etc.). The next big thing would be to figure out how to get
> something like Monticello/Filetree into VisualGST and combine the power
> of having something like vi and grep but still do a lot of the development
> inside VisualGST/image.

I don't like GTK and Gnome. I think they're a sinking ship. Qt and KDE seem
to be the present and the future, and I'm sorry to be saying this given
that you work on GTK-based/VisualGST.

You know, I had an idea today. Why not use Pharo as a front end for Gnu
Smalltalk? Perhaps it'd be possible to replace the guts of pharo with gst
and use what's built on top for gst.

> > Is it possibly to use GST entirely from the REPL? without any GUI? what
> > methods do I need to find my way around? (for example, in python there's
> > dir() and help() and in ruby there's .methods and in tcl there's info).
>
> Sure. It is smalltalk after all.
>
>  something inspect. will print a representation of the object
>  something class selectors. will print all selectors
>
>  (something >> #selector) methodSourceString will print you the
>  method code
>
>  (something >> #selector) inspect will print the bytecode and some
>  other information about the CompiledMethod.
>
>  (something lookupSelector: #selector) in case you don't know in
>  which class #selector is defined.

Thanks. That's what I was looking for. Any more such tips?

config.log (729K) Download Attachment

Re: Can't use Blox on OpenSUSE

David Conarton
I installed OpenSuse 13.1 64 bit with gnome desktop in a vm on my fedora
19 laptop.  This seems to work.  I
opened terminal and issued:
sudo zypper install -t pattern devel_C_C++
wget http://downloads.sourceforge.net/tcl/tcl8.6.1-src.tar.gz
wget http://downloads.sourceforge.net/tcl/tcl8.6.1-html.tar.gz
wget http://downloads.sourceforge.net/tcl/tk8.6.1-src.tar.gz
tar -xvf tcl8.6.1-src.tar.gz
cd tcl8.6.1
tar -xf ../tcl8.6.1-html.tar.gz --strip-components=1
cd unix &&
./configure --prefix=/usr           \
            --without-tzdata        \
            --mandir=/usr/share/man \
            $([ $(uname -m) = x86_64 ] && echo --enable-64bit) &&
make &&

sed -e "s@^\(TCL_SRC_DIR='\).*@\1/usr/include'@" \
    -e "/TCL_B/s@='\(-L\)\?.*unix@='\1/usr/lib@" \
    -i tclConfig.sh

su

make install &&
make install-private-headers &&
ln -v -sf tclsh8.6 /usr/bin/tclsh &&
chmod -v 755 /usr/lib64/libtcl8.6.so
chmod -v 755 /usr/lib/libtcl8.6.so
exit
cd ~
tar -xvf tk8.6.1-src.tar.gz
cd tk8.6.1
cd unix &&
./configure --prefix=/usr \
            --mandir=/usr/share/man \
            $([ $(uname -m) = x86_64 ] && echo --enable-64bit) &&
make &&
sed -e "s@^\(TK_SRC_DIR='\).*@\1/usr/include'@" \
    -e "/TK_B/s@='\(-L\)\?.*unix@='\1/usr/lib@" \
    -i tkConfig.sh

su

make install &&
make install-private-headers &&
ln -v -sf wish8.6 /usr/bin/wish &&
chmod -v 755 /usr/lib64/libtk8.6.so
chmod -v 755 /usr/lib/libtk8.6.so
cp /usr/lib64/libtcl* /usr/lib
cp /usr/lib64/libtk* /usr/lib
exit
cd ~

wget ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/smalltalk/smalltalk-3.2.5.tar.gz
tar -xvf smalltalk-3.2.5.tar.gz
cd smalltalk-3.2.5
./configure --with-tcl=/usr/lib64 --with-tk=/usr/lib64
make

su

make install
exit
cd ~
gst-blox

Hope this helps.

Re: Can't use Blox on OpenSUSE

David Conarton-2
I installed OpenSuse 13.1 64 bit with gnome desktop in a vm on my fedora 19 laptop.  This seems to work.  I
opened terminal in OpenSuse and issued: