Can we change diff-generator to ignore white-space diffs?

Can we change diff-generator to ignore white-space diffs?

Igor Stasenko
Because it makes things unreadable.
Here, i replaced spaces with tabs.. and see what happens.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Screen Shot 2012-03-11 at 2.16.09 AM.png (149K) Download Attachment

Re: Can we change diff-generator to ignore white-space diffs?

Dale Henrichs
An approach that I've used in the past is to use a formatter both sides of the comparison ...

Dale

On 11 March 2012 02:27, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:
> An approach that I've used in the past is to use a formatter both sides of the comparison ...

Well, the point is that formatting changes are visible without any highlighting.
And if you will use formatter, then you won't see that guy actually
just (re)formatted code.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: Can we change diff-generator to ignore white-space diffs?

Dale Henrichs
"ignoring whitespace" means?

| On 11 March 2012 02:27, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:
| > An approach that I've used in the past is to use a formatter both
| > sides of the comparison ...
| >

| Well, the point is that formatting changes are visible without any
| highlighting.
| And if you will use formatter, then you won't see that guy actually
| just (re)formatted code.
|
| > Dale

| > |
| > | Because it makes things unreadable.
| > | Here, i replaced spaces with tabs.. and see what happens.
| > |
| > |
| > | --
| > | Best regards,
| > | Igor Stasenko.
| > |

| --
| Best regards,
| Igor Stasenko.

Re: Can we change diff-generator to ignore white-space diffs?

Dale Henrichs
formatted source code doesn't show up as different anyway?

| | On 11 March 2012 02:27, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:
| | > An approach that I've used in the past is to use a formatter both
| | > sides of the comparison ...

| |
| | Well, the point is that formatting changes are visible without any
| | highlighting.
| | And if you will use formatter, then you won't see that guy actually
| | just (re)formatted code.
| |
| | > Dale

| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |

| |
| |
| |
| | --
| | Best regards,
| | Igor Stasenko.
| |
| |

Re: Can we change diff-generator to ignore white-space diffs?

Dale Henrichs
Using the formatter means that you get to focus on only the semantic changes and all format related changes are filtered for you ....

I'd rather not be bothered with diffs for methods that were merely formatted, but that's just me.

Dale
| formatted source code doesn't show up as different anyway?

| |
| | "ignoring whitespace" means?
| |
| | |

| | |
| | | Well, the point is that formatting changes are visible without
| | | any
| | | highlighting.
| | | And if you will use formatter, then you won't see that guy
| | | actually
| | | just (re)formatted code.
| | |

| | | > |
| | | > |
| | | > |
| | | > |

| | |
| | |
| | |
| | | --
| | | Best regards,
| | | Igor Stasenko.
| | |
| | |
| |
| |

On 11 March 2012 02:58, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Using the formatter means that you get to focus on only the semantic changes and all format related changes are filtered for you ....
>
> I'd rather not be bothered with diffs for methods that were merely formatted, but that's just me.

unless, you reformatted code and refactored it a bit.
Now because of overlapping highlights, i cannot verify, what exactly
changes i did.

And the worst of all is , when i click ' pretty print'
it barks with error "Undefined object are not indexable'... :)
as in
Pharo1.4a
Latest update: #14379

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: Can we change diff-generator to ignore white-space diffs?

Ben Coman
Igor Stasenko wrote:
> Because it makes things unreadable.
> Here, i replaced spaces with tabs.. and see what happens.

Similiarly... I am finding that as I am digging into it the system to
learn it by scattering 'self halts' through the code and later deleting
them,  often the whitespace it not identical to the original and when
reviewing <changes> in the Monticello Browser these these are annoying
to have listed as changes.  What do you think of the Monticello
<changes> button ignoring whitespace?

cheers, -ben

On 12 March 2012 15:33, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Igor Stasenko wrote:
>>
>> Because it makes things unreadable.
>> Here, i replaced spaces with tabs.. and see what happens.
>>

> Similiarly... I am finding that as I am digging into it the system to learn
> it by scattering 'self halts' through the code and later deleting them,
>  often the whitespace it not identical to the original and when reviewing
> <changes> in the Monticello Browser these these are annoying to have listed
> as changes.  What do you think of the Monticello <changes> button ignoring
> whitespace?

i think yes. :)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: Can we change diff-generator to ignore white-space diffs?

Henrik Sperre Johansen
On 12.03.2012 15:33, Ben Coman wrote:

> Igor Stasenko wrote:
>> Because it makes things unreadable.
>> Here, i replaced spaces with tabs.. and see what happens.
>>
> Similiarly... I am finding that as I am digging into it the system to
> learn it by scattering 'self halts' through the code and later
> deleting them,  often the whitespace it not identical to the original
> and when reviewing <changes> in the Monticello Browser these these are
> annoying to have listed as changes.  What do you think of the
> Monticello <changes> button ignoring whitespace?
>
> cheers, -ben

Presumably, the method timestamp changed as well, and a new MC version
would be saved with your credentials / current time...

For these cases, I find it best to use "Show versions... " then revert
to the old definition.

Cheers,
Henry