Can we have basicRaw in GTInspector?

stepharo
This morning GTInspector was so slow that it blocked the complete system
on the machine of Cyril. :(
We can tell him that he is stupid to have a bad machine or we could try
to use this to see how
we can help our users.

So we had to use basicInspect to get our job done (once we ctrl-. to
escape the render hell)
because raw uses a tree morph.

Why raw cannot reproduce the old simple and working basicInspect
then we could have a "basic" inspect on double click to avoid to use
this bad tree and that we can work.

just try to on RubSmalltalkCodeMode class>>#menuOn: to get the feel.
Even on my superfast machine is
is sluggish.

I really think that we should support backdoors.
We need to have a mini browser, a mini debugger and a working inspector.

Setf

Re: Can we have basicRaw in GTInspector?

CyrilFerlicot
Yeah.
We was checking the CCMockConfiguration>>#mockProperty for Cocoon and if we go litteral4 -> 1 -> keyword
here that freez a lot.
And if you try to open something else you can put your image on the trash.

Cheers
Cyril Ferlicot

Re: Can we have basicRaw in GTInspector?

Andrei Chis
Yes, we know about this slowness.
It comes from the auto-refresh feature.
Currently refreshing a tree presentation in Glamour is slow.
We tried to get it faster but I do not think we can do it until the release.

How many people do use this feature?
Should it be enabled by default?
We can add a toggle button in the inspector to enable/disable refresh, per inspector window.

Cheers,
Andrei

On Thu, Apr 2, 2015 at 5:51 PM, Cyril Ferlicot <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Cyril Ferlicot

Re: Can we have basicRaw in GTInspector?

philippeback
Welcome to the club of GT is awesome and sometimes freezes it all.

Happened to me once or twice this morning as well.
Switched back to basic inspector for a couple things.

Having both options available would be nice (like inspect = basic /explore = gt).

Phil

On Thu, Apr 2, 2015 at 5:30 PM, stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:
This morning GTInspector was so slow that it blocked the complete system on the machine of Cyril. :(
We can tell him that he is stupid to have a bad machine or we could try to use this to see how
we can help our users.

So we had to use basicInspect to get our job done (once we ctrl-. to escape the render hell)
because raw uses a tree morph.

Why raw cannot reproduce the old simple and working basicInspect
then we could have a "basic" inspect on double click to avoid to use this bad tree and that we can work.

just try to on RubSmalltalkCodeMode class>>#menuOn: to get the feel. Even on my superfast machine is
is sluggish.

I really think that we should support backdoors.
We need to have a mini browser, a mini debugger and a working inspector.

Setf

Re: Can we have basicRaw in GTInspector?

Tudor Girba-2
The Playground has inspect on Cmd+Shift+i as requested by you.

There is a problem with the update as it does not scale in the current form. Please see the reply of Andrei. We will likely remove that feature for the release.

Just to clarify: When did we ever say that someone is stupid?

Cheers,
Doru

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: Can we have basicRaw in GTInspector?

Tudor Girba-2
Hi Phil,

I think this is just not constructive at all to have a private club like that and not tell us about it.

Please take a look at the reply of Andrei.

Cheers,
Doru

"Every thing has its own flow"

On Thu, Apr 2, 2015 at 9:26 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Phil,

I think this is just not constructive at all to have a private club like that and not tell us about it.

Please take a look at the reply of Andrei.

I am on 3.0 and there is for sure a ton of fixes in 4.0 already.
So, I have to live with what I do have there (e.g. No Spotter yet).

Need to vent after having a couple of image freezes when under pressure.

Nothing to worry about.

Phil

[...]

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: Can we have basicRaw in GTInspector?

EstebanLM

On 02 Apr 2015, at 18:16, [hidden email] wrote:

Welcome to the club of GT is awesome and sometimes freezes it all.

Happened to me once or twice this morning as well.
Switched back to basic inspector for a couple things.

Having both options available would be nice (like inspect = basic /explore = gt).

you *have* both options
(i) inspect = GT
(I) basic inspect = basic inspect :)

Esteban

[...]

Ok good to know because this is important.
What aboout an help?

There is a problem with the update as it does not scale in the current form. Please see the reply of Andrei. We will likely remove that feature for the release.

Just to clarify: When did we ever say that someone is stupid?

Esteban told me that it was not freezing when we had to trash the image.
Just that the machine was slow. To me this is a non answer.

If we could get a real raw = basic inspect tabe then we can use GT and work.
To me the raw tab with an explorer inside is counterproductive: we can get lost, it is slow, it does not work well with navigation of GT.

Cheers,
Doru

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: Can we have basicRaw in GTInspector?

Tudor Girba-2
Hi Stef,

This Raw view is the result of many debates and negotiations. We can safely say it was designed by committee.

As I mentioned before, I think the tree is overkill in this context and it makes things unnecessarily slow. But, we will try better for Pharo 5 :)

Cheers,
Doru

On Fri, Apr 3, 2015 at 7:23 PM, stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: Can we have basicRaw in GTInspector?

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Tudor Girba-2 wrote
The Playground has inspect on Cmd+Shift+i as requested by you.
MessageNotUnderstood: GLMSystemWindow>>elements

1. DoIt: "1 basicInspect"
2. Change the dropdown to EyeTreeInspector

So Esteban doesn't yell at me ;)...
Issue 15319: Basic Inspector: MNU when switching to tree
https://pharo.fogbugz.com/default.asp?15319
Cheers,
Sean

Le 9/4/15 08:49, Tudor Girba a écrit :
Hi Stef,

This Raw view is the result of many debates and negotiations. We can safely say it was designed by committee.

As I mentioned before, I think the tree is overkill in this context and it makes things unnecessarily slow.
Totally agree on this one. It defeats the purpose of navigation.
To me this is terrible.

"Every thing has its own flow"