Can we install packages like in pip or gem?

Can we install packages like in pip or gem?

hernanmd

Can we install packages like this?

$ pharo config NeoCSV INIFile OSProcess Pharo.image

That would install stable versions from default repository for pharo image in current working directory in headless mode, save and quit.

Cheers,

Hernán

Re: Can we install packages like in pip or gem?

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
It can be done one at a time, with a couple of extra parameters, but I guess you already know that.

With a little wrapper script, you could make this work.

But is is a good idea.

On 11 Jan 2014, at 17:48, Hernán Morales Durand <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Can we install packages like this?
>
> $ pharo config NeoCSV INIFile OSProcess Pharo.image
>
> That would install stable versions from default repository for pharo image in current working directory in headless mode, save and quit.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Hernán

Re: Can we install packages like in pip or gem?

EstebanLM
hi,

as Sven say, you can do something like this:

./pharo Pharo.image config "filetree://repository/mc" ConfigurationOfSomething --install=baseline

just one for line, because we do not have a centralised repository (yet) and because what we expect is that you do your own ConfigurationOfYourProject and then you can do the load in just one line (I do that several times a day, so I prepared a script that looks for a “pharo_config” file in the subdirectory of the project and if is there, a configuration is automatically triggered.

Esteban

On 11 Jan 2014, at 18:01, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It can be done one at a time, with a couple of extra parameters, but I guess you already know that.
>
> With a little wrapper script, you could make this work.
>
> But is is a good idea.
>
> On 11 Jan 2014, at 17:48, Hernán Morales Durand <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> Can we install packages like this?
>>
>> $ pharo config NeoCSV INIFile OSProcess Pharo.image
>>
>> That would install stable versions from default repository for pharo image in current working directory in headless mode, save and quit.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Hernán

Re: Can we install packages like in pip or gem?

kilon
Technically there is the Configuration Browser that allow for single click installs.  Which I think is the most close to pip. Its not hard to implement this kind stuff. I just don't like command lines/terminals. A good reason to pick Pharo :D

On 12 Jan 2014, at 00:22, dimitris chloupis <[hidden email]> wrote:

Technically there is the Configuration Browser that allow for single click installs.  Which I think is the most close to pip. Its not hard to implement this kind stuff. I just don't like command lines/terminals. A good reason to pick Pharo :D

yeah, but he is asking for command line (which is good to automate builds).
config browser is cool, but it still does not keeps everything you can install (that is the idea, but we are not there yet)… so it is not as useful as others.

On Saturday, 11 January 2014, 23:52, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
hi,

as Sven say, you can do something like this:

./pharo Pharo.image config "<a href="filetree://repository/mc">filetree://repository/mc" ConfigurationOfSomething --install=baseline

just one for line, because we do not have a centralised repository (yet) and because what we expect is that you do your own ConfigurationOfYourProject and then you can do the load in just one line (I do that several times a day, so I prepared a script that looks for a “pharo_config” file in the subdirectory of the project and if is there, a configuration is automatically triggered.

Esteban

On 11 Jan 2014, at 18:01, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It can be done one at a time, with a couple of extra parameters, but I guess you already know that.
>
> With a little wrapper script, you could make this work.
>
> But is is a good idea.
>
> On 11 Jan 2014, at 17:48, Hernán Morales Durand <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> Can we install packages like this?
>>
>> $ pharo config NeoCSV INIFile OSProcess Pharo.image
>>
>> That would install stable versions from default repository for pharo image in current working directory in headless mode, save and quit.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Hernán

Re: Can we install packages like in pip or gem?

hernanmd
Following bash script could do it

#!/bin/sh
until [ -z "$1" ]
do
      PKGNAME=ConfigurationOf$1
        echo "Installing... $PKGNAME"
        pharo Pharo.image \
                config "http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/Pharo/MetaRepoForPharo30" \
                "$PKGNAME" \
                --printVersion \
                --install=stable
        shift
done

But there are 3 issues
1) One package at a time as you said.
2) Cannot prevent CommandLineHandler to take -vm-display-null argument to install headless
3) All package names should be lowercased so people does not have to remember the exact name : OSProcess vs osprocess, INIFile vs. inifile, etc.

Cheers,

Hernán

2014/1/11 Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]>
It can be done one at a time, with a couple of extra parameters, but I guess you already know that.

With a little wrapper script, you could make this work.

But is is a good idea.

On 11 Jan 2014, at 17:48, Hernán Morales Durand <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Can we install packages like this?
>
> $ pharo config NeoCSV INIFile OSProcess Pharo.image
>
> That would install stable versions from default repository for pharo image in current working directory in headless mode, save and quit.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Hernán

Re: Can we install packages like in pip or gem?

hernanmd

Hi Esteban,

2014/1/11 Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]>
hi,

as Sven say, you can do something like this:

./pharo Pharo.image config "filetree://repository/mc" ConfigurationOfSomething --install=baseline

just one for line, because we do not have a centralised repository (yet)

A totally ignorant question, isn't the SmalltalkHub supposed to be a centralised repository?

and because what we expect is that you do your own ConfigurationOfYourProject and then you can do the load in just one line (I do that several times a day, so I prepared a script that looks for a “pharo_config” file in the subdirectory of the project and if is there, a configuration is automatically triggered.

I see, it looks a good idea, need to try the filetree one day.
Thanks

On 12 Jan 2014, at 18:44, Hernán Morales Durand <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Esteban,

2014/1/11 Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]>
hi,

as Sven say, you can do something like this:

./pharo Pharo.image config "<a href="filetree://repository/mc">filetree://repository/mc" ConfigurationOfSomething --install=baseline

just one for line, because we do not have a centralised repository (yet)

A totally ignorant question, isn't the SmalltalkHub supposed to be a centralised repository?

nope… that’s a project repository, but not centralised.
A centralised repository of configurations would be something like the MetaRepoForPharo30 or the catalog… and unique place/index where pharo can find all the artifacts. Which is obviously not smalltalkhub :)

Esteban

and because what we expect is that you do your own ConfigurationOfYourProject and then you can do the load in just one line (I do that several times a day, so I prepared a script that looks for a “pharo_config” file in the subdirectory of the project and if is there, a configuration is automatically triggered.

I see, it looks a good idea, need to try the filetree one day.
Thanks

Hernán

Esteban

On 11 Jan 2014, at 18:01, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It can be done one at a time, with a couple of extra parameters, but I guess you already know that.
>
> With a little wrapper script, you could make this work.
>
> But is is a good idea.
>
> On 11 Jan 2014, at 17:48, Hernán Morales Durand <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> Can we install packages like this?
>>
>> $ pharo config NeoCSV INIFile OSProcess Pharo.image
>>
>> That would install stable versions from default repository for pharo image in current working directory in headless mode, save and quit.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Hernán

Re: Can we install packages like in pip or gem?

Esteban A. Maringolo
SmalltalkHub is more like a source code respository than a centralized
package management.

E.g.
Most node.js projects host their code in github, but for package
management they use npm.
The same goes for Ruby's gems.

Regards!

Esteban A. Maringolo