Can we send email from VA Smalltalk Seaside?

Can we send email from VA Smalltalk Seaside?

Louis LaBrunda
Hi All,

I can send email from VA Smalltalk with the Totally Objects SocketSet but I am wondering if I can use the WAEmailConfiguration stuff or whatever it is that comes with Seaside.  Is the Seaside email stuff ported to VA Smalltalk?

Lou

Aw: Can we send email from VA Smalltalk Seaside?

Marten Feldtmann-2
You may use eMail stuff from SST or what about using Obdobion, EMan (from vastgoodies.com)

Re: Aw: Can we send email from VA Smalltalk Seaside?

Louis LaBrunda
Hey Marten,

As I said, I have the Totally Objects SocketSet and have used it for email but it is getting a little long in the tooth (old).  I would like to start using something that comes with VA Smalltalk or is part of Seaside.

Lou

P.S. How did you get your picture to show up on your posts?  I have added a photo but it doesn't show up.  It does show when you hold the mouse of the photo spot.  Is my photo too large?

Aw: Re: Aw: Can we send email from VA Smalltalk Seaside?

Marten Feldtmann-2
For very basic EMail stuff, look at the Sst Server stuff - otherwise EMan is worth a look.

Re: Re: Aw: Can we send email from VA Smalltalk Seaside?

Julian-2
I know this thread is old, but since EMan was mentioned, I thought I would tag my question on here.

I have been using EMan successfully for a few years now..it works great.
But I now have the need to be able to send EMail using SSL...for example from a GMAIL
account.  When I have tried to use EMan as I have it, I get an error message that informs
me "Must issue a STARTTLS command first".  So I assume I must use SciSslSocket instead
of SciSocket to connect to the SMTP server.  I am not particularly familiar with this...has anyone
tried it?

On Sunday, 5 June 2011 13:51:19 UTC-4, Marten Feldtmann wrote:
For very basic EMail stuff, look at the Sst Server stuff - otherwise EMan is worth a look.

Re: Aw: Can we send email from VA Smalltalk Seaside?

Long Haired David
Hi Lou. And the problem with SocketSet being a 'bit ' old is what? We are still here and listening

David
Totally Objects

Totally Objects
Doing Smalltalk since 1989

Re: Aw: Can we send email from VA Smalltalk Seaside?

Louis LaBrunda
Hi Dave,

On Sunday, March 11, 2012 9:13:12 AM UTC-4, Totally Objects wrote:
Hi Lou. And the problem with SocketSet being a 'bit ' old is what? We are still here and listening

David
Totally Objects

Sorry, I didn't mean any offense.  I was just wondering if there was any email package that came with or was recommended for Seaside.  After taking a quick look around I am still using SocketSet of all my socket work including email in all my server code including Seaside apps.

The last time I corresponded with Matt, he said he didn't think you guys had any plans to update SocketSet to IP6.  So far, I don't think I have a need for IP6 but who knows?

I also have some changes to SocketSet that I would love for you guys to add to SocketSet.  Mostly I have changed the way timeouts work.  Instead of timeout time covering the entire operation and throwing an error if the operation doesn't finish on time, I use the time out to cover the last activity.

This way, one can set a timeout at say 30 seconds regardless of how long the operation would take.  If there is no activity for 30 seconds, one can consider the connection dead.  As long as there is activity (on a read or a write) within the 30 seconds, everything is fine.  I have thrown a megabyte (or more) of data at a socket without having to change the timeout and worry if it will finish within the time allotted.  You only have to set the timeout for what ever time of inactivity you want to wait before giving up on the connection.

The code may take some work if you want to remain backward compatible but it is yours if you want it and I willing to help if you like.

Lou

Re: Aw: Can we send email from VA Smalltalk Seaside?

jtuchel
Lou,

I may be a bit late in this thread but I'm using Sst and its SMTP support with a few extensions to send mails using an SMTP Server. This service uses plain AUTH-LOGIN, so now encryption or SSL or anything. It took me half an hour or two to understand how ESMTP and AUTH-LOGIN work and about a day playing with SST to make it run. The implementation is just one changed line and four lines added, and I used a subclass of SstSMTPConnection for that, but it was not a clever decision. I didn't take the time to see if SMTP servers understand EHLO instead of HELO, because that would mean I can just change the SST class.

Joachim