Cancel Button

Robert Sirois
The (WACancelButtonTag) cancel button in a form with required fields (html 5) still requires the fields to be filled out when canceling hehe. Is this normal?

RS

Re: Cancel Button

Intrader Intrader
Robert Sirois <watchlala <at> hotmail.com> writes:

> The (WACancelButtonTag) cancel button in a form with required fields (html 5)
still requires the fields to be filled out when canceling hehe. Is this normal?
> RS

To my understanding (and I am a newbie):
1. All callbacks are valued before rendering components
2. Callback processing is not done if a high priority callback cancels further
processing via `self handleAnswer: false`.
3. Callback processing is also cancelled by #respond processing.
The WACancelButtonTag is set to high priority (-5). In my opinion you can cancel
further processing of callbacks (and validation) by setting
`self handleAnswer: false.`.
Watch out if you also have AJAX as to my understanding also has priority -5.

Re: Cancel Button

Robert Sirois
Well, that's not really relevant. If you have a required field (html 5) you'd think that cancelling would still work.

RS

> To: seaside@lists.squeakfoundation.org
> From: intrader.intrader@gmail.com
> Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 21:55:55 +0000
> Subject: [Seaside] Re: Cancel Button
>
> Robert Sirois <watchlala <at> hotmail.com> writes:
>

> > The (WACancelButtonTag) cancel button in a form with required fields (html 5)
> still requires the fields to be filled out when canceling hehe. Is this normal?
> > RS

> To my understanding (and I am a newbie):
> 1. All callbacks are valued before rendering components
> 2. Callback processing is not done if a high priority callback cancels further
> processing via `self handleAnswer: false`.
> 3. Callback processing is also cancelled by #respond processing.
> The WACancelButtonTag is set to high priority (-5). In my opinion you can cancel
> further processing of callbacks (and validation) by setting
> `self handleAnswer: false.`.
> Watch out if you also have AJAX as to my understanding also has priority -5.

Re: Cancel Button

Philippe Marschall
2011/7/9 Robert Sirois <[hidden email]>:
> The (WACancelButtonTag) cancel button in a form with required fields (html
> 5) still requires the fields to be filled out when canceling hehe. Is this
> normal?

You mean the browser still validates them? Well it's kinda expected.
There is no cancel button in HTML so we just use a normal one and do
callback trickery. Unfortunately the browser doesn't know about this.
A possible fix might to to set the novalidate property on the form
when the button is pressed.

Cheers
Philippe

RE: Cancel Button

Robert Sirois
Oh I see. I shall try that after vacation ;)

Thanks
RS

> Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 19:10:50 +0200
> Subject: Re: [Seaside] Cancel Button
> From: philippe.marschall@gmail.com
> To: seaside@lists.squeakfoundation.org
>
> 2011/7/9 Robert Sirois <watchlala@hotmail.com>:
> > The (WACancelButtonTag) cancel button in a form with required fields (html
> > 5) still requires the fields to be filled out when canceling hehe. Is this
> > normal?
>
> You mean the browser still validates them? Well it's kinda expected.
> There is no cancel button in HTML so we just use a normal one and do
> callback trickery. Unfortunately the browser doesn't know about this.
> A possible fix might to to set the novalidate property on the form
> when the button is pressed.
>
> Cheers
> Philippe

Cancel Button

Louis LaBrunda

>You mean the browser still validates them? Well it's kinda expected.
>There is no cancel button in HTML so we just use a normal one and do
>callback trickery. Unfortunately the browser doesn't know about this.
>A possible fix might to to set the novalidate property on the form
>when the button is pressed.
>Cheers
>Philippe

Could one add some onClick javascript on a "cancel" button to set
everything to disabled?  I have a large textArea that I set to readonly
because I don't want it changed but I want the user to be able to copy (and
then paste) from it.  I then use javascript to disable it on a submit (or
cancel) so the browser won't send it back to the server, to save the upload
time.

Lou

Re: Cancel Button

Intrader Intrader
Robert Sirois <watchlala <at> hotmail.com> writes:

> Well, that's not really relevant. If you have a required field (html 5)
you'd think that cancelling would still work.RS> To: seaside <at>
lists.squeakfoundation.org>

I am puzzled at your 'not relevant' posting. In my opinion, when you cancel, the
fields should not be deemed required.

Re: Cancel Button

Philippe Marschall
2011/7/25 Fritz Schenk <[hidden email]>:
> Robert Sirois <watchlala <at> hotmail.com> writes:
>

>> Well, that's not really relevant. If you have a required field (html 5)
> you'd think that cancelling would still work.RS> To: seaside <at>
> lists.squeakfoundation.org>
>
> I am puzzled at your 'not relevant' posting. In my opinion, when you cancel, the
> fields should not be deemed required.

There is no cancel button in HTML5, only in Seaside. The browser
doesn't know it's a cancel button. Therefore you have to write some
JavaScript that either removes the required property from the input
fields or adds the novalidate property to the form.

Cheers
Philippe

Re: Cancel Button

Julian Fitzell-2
On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 6:49 AM, Philippe Marschall
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2011/7/25 Fritz Schenk <[hidden email]>:
>> Robert Sirois <watchlala <at> hotmail.com> writes:
>>

>>> Well, that's not really relevant. If you have a required field (html 5)
>> you'd think that cancelling would still work.RS> To: seaside <at>
>> lists.squeakfoundation.org>
>>
>> I am puzzled at your 'not relevant' posting. In my opinion, when you cancel, the
>> fields should not be deemed required.
>
> There is no cancel button in HTML5, only in Seaside. The browser
> doesn't know it's a cancel button. Therefore you have to write some
> JavaScript that either removes the required property from the input
> fields or adds the novalidate property to the form.

Right. Or use a link styled to look like your buttons instead of a button.

Julian

Re: Cancel Button

Robert Sirois
Sorry Fritz, I appreciate the info. My intent was to steer the conversation a little different way. Philippe's response provided the solution I was looking for:

Therefore you have to write some
JavaScript that either removes the required property from the input
fields or adds the novalidate property to the form.
Thanks,
RS