Cannot even browse a class in web image

Mariano Martinez Peck
Issue: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=1724

Pharo image: pharo1.0-10502-rc1web09.12.2
Pharo core version: 10502
Virtual machine used: Squeak 4.2.2beta1U.app
Class browser used if applicable: O2PackageBrowserAdaptor.

Steps to reproduce:
1. Open a class browser
2. Click on the class ByteArray from the package Collection-Arrayed

'MessageNotUnderstood: ByteSymbol>>hasWideCharacterFrom:to:'

I attach PharoDebug.log

Re: Cannot even browse a class in web image

Lukas Renggli
I've encountered and fixed that bug a long time ago in OB-Morphic in
OBLazyListMorph>>display:atRow:on:. This is the same bug in
O2-Morphic. Compare with "[Pharo-project] We need to do something,
seriously!!!! [WAS] Fwd: Issue 1721: Refactoring appears to be broken
in web dev image. e.g. OBClassNode(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand:
#dynamicProtocols".

Lukas

2009/12/31 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:

> Issue: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=1724
>
> Pharo image: pharo1.0-10502-rc1web09.12.2
> Pharo core version: 10502
> Virtual machine used: Squeak 4.2.2beta1U.app
> Class browser used if applicable: O2PackageBrowserAdaptor.
>
> Steps to reproduce:
> 1. Open a class browser
> 2. Click on the class ByteArray from the package Collection-Arrayed
>
> 'MessageNotUnderstood: ByteSymbol>>hasWideCharacterFrom:to:'
>
> I attach PharoDebug.log

Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Cannot even browse a class in web image

Has van der Krieken
Hm, same image, same vm, no problem. No additional packages loaded.

Regards,

Has.

2009/12/31 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:

> Issue: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=1724
>
> Pharo image: pharo1.0-10502-rc1web09.12.2
> Pharo core version: 10502
> Virtual machine used: Squeak 4.2.2beta1U.app
> Class browser used if applicable: O2PackageBrowserAdaptor.
>
> Steps to reproduce:
> 1. Open a class browser
> 2. Click on the class ByteArray from the package Collection-Arrayed
>
> 'MessageNotUnderstood: ByteSymbol>>hasWideCharacterFrom:to:'
>
> I attach PharoDebug.log

Re: Cannot even browse a class in web image

Lukas Renggli
> Hm, same image, same vm, no problem. No additional packages loaded.

This only happens if you use a bitmap font.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 10:14 AM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've encountered and fixed that bug a long time ago in OB-Morphic in
OBLazyListMorph>>display:atRow:on:. This is the same bug in
O2-Morphic. Compare with "[Pharo-project] We need to do something,
seriously!!!! [WAS] Fwd: Issue 1721: Refactoring appears to be broken
in web dev image. e.g. OBClassNode(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand:
#dynamicProtocols".

OK, thanks Lukas! But you see that we have a serious problem?  How many time you heard "I have already fix this in ....."  or "This bug is present again"

We really need to do something about our integrations.

Thanks

Mariano

Lukas

2009/12/31 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
> Issue: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=1724
>
> Pharo image: pharo1.0-10502-rc1web09.12.2
> Pharo core version: 10502
> Virtual machine used: Squeak 4.2.2beta1U.app
> Class browser used if applicable: O2PackageBrowserAdaptor.
>
> Steps to reproduce:
> 1. Open a class browser
> 2. Click on the class ByteArray from the package Collection-Arrayed
>
> 'MessageNotUnderstood: ByteSymbol>>hasWideCharacterFrom:to:'
>
> I attach PharoDebug.log

Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Cannot even browse a class in web image

Lukas Renggli
> OK, thanks Lukas! But you see that we have a serious problem?  How many time you heard "I have already fix this in ....."  or "This bug is present again"

The problem is that nobody uses O2 12 hours a day and really cares to
fix things on the fly all the time. I do that with OB and RB on a
daily bases. It consumes some time here and then, but it is fun, makes
me more productive and in the long run pays off.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Cannot even browse a class in web image

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Fair enough, but anything that we know how to fix should be fixed, if only by a file-in after the build, before the images are posted.

> OK, thanks Lukas! But you see that we have a serious problem?  How many time you heard "I have already fix this in ....."  or "This bug is present again"

The problem is that nobody uses O2 12 hours a day and really cares to fix things on the fly all the time. I do that with OB and RB on a daily bases. It consumes some time here and then, but it is fun, makes me more productive and in the long run pays off.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Cannot even browse a class in web image

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 10:14 AM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've encountered and fixed that bug a long time ago in OB-Morphic in
OBLazyListMorph>>display:atRow:on:. This is the same bug in
O2-Morphic. Compare with "[Pharo-project] We need to do something,
seriously!!!! [WAS] Fwd: Issue 1721: Refactoring appears to be broken
in web dev image. e.g. OBClassNode(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand:
#dynamicProtocols".

Lukas, there is something I really don't understand. Are you sure that in this thread you are answering to the bug 1724 ?

Because I realised that this get fixed if you load the fix to the bug 1433

And this seems to be quite different to what said

Even more, 1721, the bug you told me, happens using OB

Lukas

2009/12/31 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
> Issue: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=1724
>
> Pharo image: pharo1.0-10502-rc1web09.12.2
> Pharo core version: 10502
> Virtual machine used: Squeak 4.2.2beta1U.app
> Class browser used if applicable: O2PackageBrowserAdaptor.
>
> Steps to reproduce:
> 1. Open a class browser
> 2. Click on the class ByteArray from the package Collection-Arrayed
>
> 'MessageNotUnderstood: ByteSymbol>>hasWideCharacterFrom:to:'
>
> I attach PharoDebug.log

Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Cannot even browse a class in web image

Lukas Renggli
> Lukas, there is something I really don't understand. Are you sure that in
> this thread you are answering to the bug 1724 ?

> Because I realised that this get fixed if you load the fix to the bug 1433

> And this seems to be quite different to what said
>
> Even more, 1721, the bug you told me, happens using OB

I cannot reproduce it.

Looks like 1433 fixes the root cause of the bug. My fix simply changes
the way how OB displays text in lists, what fixes the problem in OB.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 10:44 PM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Lukas, there is something I really don't understand. Are you sure that in
> this thread you are answering to the bug 1724 ?

> Because I realised that this get fixed if you load the fix to the bug 1433

> And this seems to be quite different to what said
>
> Even more, 1721, the bug you told me, happens using OB

I cannot reproduce it.

Are you sure? I mean, are you doing exactly what Sten says ??  I ask because it happened to me that I couldn't reproduce it but following all of his steps, I could.  You have to take that image he says (pharo1.0-10502-rc1web09.12.2)

Which is here: http://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/25122/pharo1.0-10502-rc1web09.12.2.zip    (is the one which is in the download link of the website)

Looks like 1433 fixes the root cause of the bug. My fix simply changes
the way how OB displays text in lists, what fixes the problem in OB.

Ok, perfect. I would like to integrate 1433 in Pharo 1.0 then!

Thanks!!!

Mariano

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Cannot even browse a class in web image

Lukas Renggli
> Are you sure? I mean, are you doing exactly what Sten says ??  I ask because
> it happened to me that I couldn't reproduce it but following all of his
> steps, I could.  You have to take that image he says
> (pharo1.0-10502-rc1web09.12.2)

No, I was just trying in an OB only image of my own. I can reproduce
it in pharo1.0-10502-rc1web09.12.2 in O2.

It can be fixed by adapting O2LazyListMorph with the implementation of
OB. Probably the fix to ByteArray is better, I did not check that.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 11:15 PM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Are you sure? I mean, are you doing exactly what Sten says ??  I ask because
> it happened to me that I couldn't reproduce it but following all of his
> steps, I could.  You have to take that image he says
> (pharo1.0-10502-rc1web09.12.2)

No, I was just trying in an OB only image of my own. I can reproduce
it in pharo1.0-10502-rc1web09.12.2 in O2.

:)   Thanks for the testing!. I just wanted to be sure!

It can be fixed by adapting O2LazyListMorph with the implementation of
OB. Probably the fix to ByteArray is better, I did not check that.

Cool. Thanks. I will try someone integrates this fix in 1.0.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Cannot even browse a class in web image

Adrian Lienhard
>> It can be fixed by adapting O2LazyListMorph with the implementation
>> of
>> OB. Probably the fix to ByteArray is better, I did not check that.
>>

> Cool. Thanks. I will try someone integrates this fix in 1.0.

I can integrate #1433 (and some other pending fixes) tomorrow.

Adrian

On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 12:28 AM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> It can be fixed by adapting O2LazyListMorph with the implementation
>> of
>> OB. Probably the fix to ByteArray is better, I did not check that.
>>

> Cool. Thanks. I will try someone integrates this fix in 1.0.

I can integrate #1433 (and some other pending fixes) tomorrow.

Cooool :)

Thanks Adrian and Nicolas

Adrian