Cannot extract stable VM on Window

CyrilFerlicot
Hi,

Today I tried to extract the stable windows VM for Pharo 8 64bits on
Windows 7 but I get an error saying the file is corrupted.

Link: http://files.pharo.org/vm/pharo-spur64/win/stable-20190916.zip

Can someone reproduce it?
--
Cyril Ferlicot
https://ferlicot.fr

explorer_2019-09-29_15-48-09.png (123K) Download Attachment

Re: Cannot extract stable VM on Window

CyrilFerlicot
Le 29/09/2019 à 15:53, Cyril Ferlicot D. a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> Today I tried to extract the stable windows VM for Pharo 8 64bits on
> Windows 7 but I get an error saying the file is corrupted.
>
> Link: http://files.pharo.org/vm/pharo-spur64/win/stable-20190916.zip
>
> Can someone reproduce it?

Also, I tried to take the latest VM but when I launch an image, no UI is
opening. (And I took the pharo64-win-latest, not the
pharo64-win-headless-latest)

--
Cyril Ferlicot
https://ferlicot.fr

Re: Cannot extract stable VM on Window

tbrunz
Hi Cyril,

I downloaded it and tried it on Win7 Pro 64bit (running in Virtualbox), and
was able to open as expected.

However, looking in the zip file itself, I noticed about two dozen
"*_Zone.Identifier" files that I was not expecting to see.  They likely
should not be there; they have something to do with IT security inspections
on downloaded files, and I delete them as a matter of course whenever I see
them (as part of a download).  I'm not sure why the Pharo build process
would have these.

I tried launching Pharo from this zip file before and after I removed these
files...  It worked in both cases; no corruption reported.  However, since
your error dialog was reporting one of these 'zone' files, I would trying
removing them and see if that helps.

-Ted

Cyril Ferlicot
https://ferlicot.fr

Le 29/09/2019 à 18:32, Christopher Fuhrman a écrit :
> I reported an intermittent problem with pharo-launcher transferring
> images that are detected as corrupted on my Windows 10. What happens
> when you retry?
>
> See https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-launcher/issues/359

I already saw this issue but retrying was not working. I can reproduce it.

--
Cyril Ferlicot
https://ferlicot.fr

Le 29/09/2019 à 16:35, Brainstorms a écrit :

> Hi Cyril,
>
> I downloaded it and tried it on Win7 Pro 64bit (running in Virtualbox), and
> was able to open as expected.
>
> However, looking in the zip file itself, I noticed about two dozen
> "*_Zone.Identifier" files that I was not expecting to see.  They likely
> should not be there; they have something to do with IT security inspections
> on downloaded files, and I delete them as a matter of course whenever I see
> them (as part of a download).  I'm not sure why the Pharo build process
> would have these.
>
> I tried launching Pharo from this zip file before and after I removed these
> files...  It worked in both cases; no corruption reported.  However, since
> your error dialog was reporting one of these 'zone' files, I would trying
> removing them and see if that helps.

Thanks!

With your comment I succeeded to launch my image. What I needed to do
was to open the zip file without extracting it, delete all the
.Identifier files and extract it once done.

I wonder how the vm zip files end up with those files in them.

--
Cyril Ferlicot
https://ferlicot.fr

Re: Cannot extract stable VM on Window

tbrunz
I'm glad it did the trick.

And that's a VERY good question...  Those files shouldn't be there, and it
suggests that the files were downloaded/transferred over a network, then
packaged into the zip.  Why?  (I don't know any other function that creates
these, as I've only ever seen them when downloading on a Windows machine.
They're not valid filenames (to Windows), which is an additional annoyance.)

What I don't like about the look of it is that it has that kind of feel of a
"man in the middle" type of attack.  Not that this occurred, but it makes me
a little uncomfortable.  (Enough that I snapshotted my Vbox VM to test it
on, so that I can destroy it afterward.)

The maintainers might fill us in...

-t

CyrilFerlicot wrote

> Le 29/09/2019 à 16:35, Brainstorms a écrit :
>> Hi Cyril,
>>
>> I downloaded it and tried it on Win7 Pro 64bit (running in Virtualbox),
>> and
>> was able to open as expected.
>>
>> However, looking in the zip file itself, I noticed about two dozen
>> "*_Zone.Identifier" files that I was not expecting to see.  They likely
>> should not be there; they have something to do with IT security
>> inspections
>> on downloaded files, and I delete them as a matter of course whenever I
>> see
>> them (as part of a download).  I'm not sure why the Pharo build process
>> would have these.
>>
>> I tried launching Pharo from this zip file before and after I removed
>> these
>> files...  It worked in both cases; no corruption reported.  However,
>> since
>> your error dialog was reporting one of these 'zone' files, I would trying
>> removing them and see if that helps.
>>

> Thanks!
>
> With your comment I succeeded to launch my image. What I needed to do
> was to open the zip file without extracting it, delete all the
> .Identifier files and extract it once done.
>
> I wonder how the vm zip files end up with those files in them.
>
>> -Ted
>>

>> --
>> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Developers-f1294837.html
>>

> --
> Cyril Ferlicot
> https://ferlicot.fr
>

> signature.asc (836 bytes)
> &lt;http://forum.world.st/attachment/5104673/0/signature.asc&gt;

Re: Cannot extract stable VM on Window

Ben Coman

On Mon, 30 Sep 2019 at 02:41, Cyril Ferlicot D. <[hidden email]> wrote:
Le 29/09/2019 à 16:35, Brainstorms a écrit :
> Hi Cyril,
>
> I downloaded it and tried it on Win7 Pro 64bit (running in Virtualbox), and
> was able to open as expected.
>
> However, looking in the zip file itself, I noticed about two dozen
> "*_Zone.Identifier" files that I was not expecting to see.  They likely
> should not be there; they have something to do with IT security inspections
> on downloaded files, and I delete them as a matter of course whenever I see
> them (as part of a download).  I'm not sure why the Pharo build process
> would have these.
>
> I tried launching Pharo from this zip file before and after I removed these
> files...  It worked in both cases; no corruption reported.  However, since
> your error dialog was reporting one of these 'zone' files, I would trying
> removing them and see if that helps.

Thanks!

With your comment I succeeded to launch my image. What I needed to do
was to open the zip file without extracting it, delete all the
.Identifier files and extract it once done.

I wonder how the vm zip files end up with those files in them.

I see filename "FT2Plugin.dll:Zone.Identifier"
The colon in the filename is a clue that it was originally an Alternate Data Stream attached to the root file
That ZoneIdentifier ADS wont show in a

Opening "FT2Plugin.dll_Zone.Identifier" in Notepad shows it contains...
     [ZoneTransfer]
     ZoneId=3

...which seems like its been tagged by a Windows system function into an untrusted "Internet Zone"

So it seems not-malicious, since  I'd guess an attacker would be putting it in a "Trusted Zone"

Looking in directory... http://files.pharo.org/vm/pharo-spur64/win/
for the following at recent consecutive files, the ones marked "Y" have the ADS

N   2019-09-13 22:18    8.1 MB    pharo-win-x86_64-201909131927-218e97a.zip
N   2019-09-15 00:16    8.1 MB    pharo-win-x86_64-201909142122-f5de9a4.zip
Y   2019-09-20 11:57    6.8 MB    stable-20190916.zip
Y   2019-09-20 11:57    6.8 MB    pharo-win-x86_64-201909161029-19f5d00.zip
N   2019-09-21 21:50   8.1 MB    pharo-win-x86_64-201909211859-521c75a.zip
N   2019-09-25 19:12   8.1 MB    pharo-win-x86_64-201909251551-3023fbc.zip

So it seems to be a blip related around the moment that the "stable" zip was created.
I note that the  2019-09-20 zips  include the following additional files the surrounding zips don't have.
SurfacePlugin.dll
SqueakSSL.dll
libfontconfig-1.dll
libexpat-1.dll
libbz2
FTPlugin.dll

Highly speculative, but one scenario could be that "pharo-win-x86_64-201909161029-19f5d00.zip"
was downloaded to someone's machine to add those files and it got tagged by Windows.
They then got included when " pharo-win-x86_64-201909161029-19f5d00.zip " was rezipped and also copied to "stable-20190916.zip" ??
It would be good to understand what happened here.

A solution might be to exclude ADS when "stable-20190916.zip" is created.

btw, The `dir` command is not aware of ADS.  This can be used to investigate...

cheers -ben