Cannot find time zone named MST7MDT

Santiago Cardoso Geller-3

Hi!

I generated for testing an XD image for AIX with a simple application that shows a text at the console. That's all. But when execute I get a walkback with the error:

Walkback at 07:01:46 on 12/09/14
Cannot find time zone named  MST7MDT
AbtHeadlessRuntimeStartUp class(EsImageStartUp class)>>#outputWalkback:process:
  receiver = AbtHeadlessRuntimeStartUp
  arg1 = [] in EsImageStartUp class>>#outputWalkback:on:process:
  arg2 = [] in EsImageStartUp class>>#outputWalkback:on:process:
[] in AbtHeadlessRuntimeStartUp class>>#outputWalkback:process:
  receiver = AbtHeadlessRuntimeStartUp
  arg1 = 'Cannot find time zone named  MST7MDT'
  arg2 = Process:2{running,3}
  temp1 = nil
  temp2 = nil

Exit with error code 60

Should I include something else to the packager? I think the error is when VA is trying to write the walkback.

The same code reduced in VAST 6.0.3 does not report any error.

Thanks,
Santiago

Re: Cannot find time zone named MST7MDT

Louis LaBrunda
Hi Santiago,

On Tuesday, December 9, 2014 9:35:57 AM UTC-5, Santiago Cardoso Geller wrote:

[...]

Yes.  You need to include the time zoneinfo included in the va860_sw.zip (or whatever version of VA Smalltalk you have).

The same code reduced in VAST 6.0.3 does not report any error.

Thanks,
Santiago

Lou

Re: Cannot find time zone named MST7MDT

dmacq
Santiago,

What version of VA Smalltalk are you using?

Donald

[...]

Louis, I have the zoneinfo directory in the server. I will look for a reference in an ini file or something like that.

Donald, I am using 8.6.1 version in AIX.

thanks,
Santiago

On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 8:50 PM, Donald MacQueen <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

and this is my /usr/share/lib/zoneinfo directory contents...
It does not contain MST7MDT entry.

zoneinfo.tar.gz (326K) Download Attachment

Re: Cannot find time zone named MST7MDT

dmacq
Hi Santiago,

Where do you live?  I live near Washington, DC so I am in what is known as Eastern Standard Time. Are you in Mountain Standard Time, i.e., Denver?

Donald

On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 8:50 PM, Donald MacQueen <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="p4DFqNjpjAUJ" onmousedown="this.href='javascript:';return true;" onclick="this.href='javascript:';return true;">dm...@...> wrote:
[...]

Somehow you must have lost it.  I find it in both the Windows and Linux server zoneinfo files for 8.6.1 and 8.6.0.

Lou

On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 10:02 PM, Santiago Cardoso Geller <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="RlBIqcnU63wJ" onmousedown="this.href='javascript:';return true;" onclick="this.href='javascript:';return true;">cardos...@...> wrote:

On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 8:50 PM, Donald MacQueen <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="RlBIqcnU63wJ" onmousedown="this.href='javascript:';return true;" onclick="this.href='javascript:';return true;">dm...@...> wrote:
[...]

I believe Lou is right. The standard install of zoneinfo -does- include MST7MDT.  I suggest you change your time zone to 'America/Denver'.  It has Daylight Savings transitions;  MST7MDT does not.

Donald [|]

On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 12:20 PM, Donald MacQueen <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="JAEURThF-eQJ" onmousedown="this.href='javascript:';return true;" onclick="this.href='javascript:';return true;">dm...@...> wrote:

Visit this group at <a href="http://groups.google.com/group/va-smalltalk" target="_blank" onmousedown="this.href='http://groups.google.com/group/va-smalltalk';return true;" onclick="this.href='http://groups.google.com/group/va-smalltalk';return true;">http://groups.google.com/group/va-smalltalk.

Re: Cannot find time zone named MST7MDT

Santiago Cardoso Geller-3
Thank you Louis and Donald. I found the problem.

I'm not the server administrator so I'm not able to change the time zone or add the file that I need into /usr/share/lib/zoneinfo directory. So I wanted to set the zoneinfoPath setting to $VASTROOT_86/zoneinfo directory.

I noticed that the application was still looking for MST7MDT into /usr/share/lib/zoneinfo directory, even after change the abtnx.ini.

We discovered the following:

EsTimeZoneDatabase class>>#setTzInfoDir from EsTimeZoneAppUnix application is overwriting the value of the setting. We made this change to the original implementation to keep ini defined value:

Original:

dir := (System osType = 'Linux'
        ifTrue: ['/usr/share/zoneinfo/']
        ifFalse: ['/usr/share/lib/zoneinfo/']).

Modified:

    dir := self tzInfoDir isNil
        ifTrue: [
            (System osType = 'Linux'
                ifTrue: ['/usr/share/zoneinfo/']
                ifFalse: ['/usr/share/lib/zoneinfo/'])]
        ifFalse: [self tzInfoDir].

Regards,
Santiago

setTzInfoDir.st (824 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Cannot find time zone named MST7MDT

dmacq
Santiago,

What version of AIX are you running? All the AIX machines I have seen have their zoneinfo datat in /usr/share/lib/zoneinfo/ which is why it is hard-coded.

Donald

On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 2:44 PM, Donald MacQueen <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="h5LaIqQ_RgEJ" onmousedown="this.href='javascript:';return true;" onclick="this.href='javascript:';return true;">dm...@...> wrote:
[...]

the OS level is 7.1.0, and you are right, the zoneinfo is in /usr/share/lib/zoneinfo/. But here we haven't got the MST7MDT file there (and I don't know why). We opened a ticket to the AIX administration group to fix that, but in the meanwhile we noticed that the setting from abtnx.ini was not working.

On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 4:25 PM, Donald MacQueen <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Your fix is correct. We should allow the override of the zoneinfo location. I have created case 56956 to address this issue.

Donald

PS All your sysadmin has to do is to copy the missing file from the $VASTROOT_86/zoneinfo directory. The files are binary and platform independent.

On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 4:25 PM, Donald MacQueen <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="LhQR7kgCgiYJ" onmousedown="this.href='javascript:';return true;" onclick="this.href='javascript:';return true;">dm...@...> wrote: