Cannot start Squeak VM on Fedora 25 with SELinux enabled

Cannot start Squeak VM on Fedora 25 with SELinux enabled

Tim Cuthbertson
I have searched the mail archive two years back and cannot find
anything on the subject.

If I set SELinux to permissive mode, Squeak starts successfully. So, I
am certain that this is the problem. However, there is nothing in the
SELinux audit logs indicating that a denial even occurred, so I do not
know what to allow to fix the problem.

The error message when I try to start Squeak is the same as when the
limits have not been increased, but I have fixed that in
/etc/security/limits.d, so the problem must be that SELinux is not
allowing the limits to be reset.

Has anyone else had this problem and resolved it, other than by just
turning off SELinux?

Re: Cannot start Squeak VM on Fedora 25 with SELinux enabled

Levente Uzonyi
Hi Tim,

You should try the latest VM[1], which should start without the increased
priority heartbeat. If that doesn't work, then it must be some other
issue, like JIT vs SELinux.

Levente

[1] https://bintray.com/opensmalltalk/vm/cog/_latestVersion#files

On Sun, 9 Apr 2017, Tim Cuthbertson wrote:

> I have searched the mail archive two years back and cannot find
> anything on the subject.
>
> If I set SELinux to permissive mode, Squeak starts successfully. So, I
> am certain that this is the problem. However, there is nothing in the
> SELinux audit logs indicating that a denial even occurred, so I do not
> know what to allow to fix the problem.
>
> The error message when I try to start Squeak is the same as when the
> limits have not been increased, but I have fixed that in
> /etc/security/limits.d, so the problem must be that SELinux is not
> allowing the limits to be reset.
>
> Has anyone else had this problem and resolved it, other than by just
> turning off SELinux?

Re: Cannot start Squeak VM on Fedora 25 with SELinux enabled

David T. Lewis
On Sun, Apr 09, 2017 at 03:09:13PM +0200, Levente Uzonyi wrote:
> Hi Tim,
>
> You should try the latest VM[1], which should start without the increased
> priority heartbeat. If that doesn't work, then it must be some other
> issue, like JIT vs SELinux.

I expect that SELinux will not permit pthread_setschedparam to be called,
as it is almost certainly too dangerous to permit on a secure system.
Setting SELinux to permissive mode would probably be the only option,
but of course that does not help if you actually do need to run a secure
system.

> Levente
>
> [1] https://bintray.com/opensmalltalk/vm/cog/_latestVersion#files

I don't think that we have a link from squeak.org to find these latest
VM builds. Maybe we should add a link in the Advanced section of the
Downloads page so that people can more easily locate them.

Dave