Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Cap lock madness

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Hopefully somebody can point out something simple that will fix everything, but I'm to the point of declaring my move into 09.09.3 a failure.  It was worth the effort because it forced me to clean up some packaging and revisit my load scripts.  I figured out that when my image began to complain that the changes file was nearly too big, it was was doing so not because it was almost done loading my relatively modest amount of code, but it was because I had loaded it part way through many times, fixing bugs and accumulating LOTS of changes along the way - no problem.

Since I cannot seem to copy and paste between 09.07.2 and 09.09.3 (they treat newlines differently), I thought to make yet another loader (my own) that will appear as a package with one class and a few methods to do my loading using whatever wins (installer, script loader, gofer, etc.) or a mix of them.  Hopefully I can load that in either version, the code will look right, and the "script" will work.

In working on the loader, my image appeared to go crazy.  I was picking up things by halos when I had not intended to do so, the menus didn't look right; it was a mess.  I wondered whether my new laptop had a busted/stuck control or alt key, and then noticed that the cap lock was on.  Is there any reason the menus get weird when the cap lock is set?  It seems like a nice way to drive off new users unless I'm missing the big picture somewhere.

Bill

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Cap lock madness

Schwab,Wilhelm K
FWIW, the loader worked out nicely.  It is cleaner than a script would be, and MC handles the newlines correctly, at least going back to 09.07.2.

Bill

From: [hidden email] [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Schwab,Wilhelm K
Sent: Friday, October 02, 2009 5:44 PM
To: [hidden email]
Subject: [Pharo-project] Cap lock madness

Hopefully somebody can point out something simple that will fix everything, but I'm to the point of declaring my move into 09.09.3 a failure.  It was worth the effort because it forced me to clean up some packaging and revisit my load scripts.  I figured out that when my image began to complain that the changes file was nearly too big, it was was doing so not because it was almost done loading my relatively modest amount of code, but it was because I had loaded it part way through many times, fixing bugs and accumulating LOTS of changes along the way - no problem.

Since I cannot seem to copy and paste between 09.07.2 and 09.09.3 (they treat newlines differently), I thought to make yet another loader (my own) that will appear as a package with one class and a few methods to do my loading using whatever wins (installer, script loader, gofer, etc.) or a mix of them.  Hopefully I can load that in either version, the code will look right, and the "script" will work.

In working on the loader, my image appeared to go crazy.  I was picking up things by halos when I had not intended to do so, the menus didn't look right; it was a mess.  I wondered whether my new laptop had a busted/stuck control or alt key, and then noticed that the cap lock was on.  Is there any reason the menus get weird when the cap lock is set?  It seems like a nice way to drive off new users unless I'm missing the big picture somewhere.

Bill

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Cap lock madness

Douglas Brebner
In reply to this post by Schwab,Wilhelm K
Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
> In working on the loader, my image appeared to go crazy.  I was
> picking up things by halos when I had not intended to do so, the menus
> didn't look right; it was a mess.  I wondered whether my new laptop
> had a busted/stuck control or alt key, and then noticed that the cap
> lock was on.  Is there any reason the menus get weird when the cap
> lock is set?  It seems like a nice way to drive off new users unless
> I'm missing the big picture somewhere.

Caps lock is a modifier under X11, just like alt, ctrl, shift, meta and
hyper.

There was a change in the unix VM on 2009-08-26 which might fix this:
* vm-display-X11/sqUnixX11.c (x2sqModifier): Do not map Caps Lock to
shift modifier.