Capture & Replay Tools for VisualWorks

Gruenewald, Tom

Hello,
we are looking for a working Capture & Replay tool for VisualWorks. We have tested several products, but not one accords our expectations. All of them are simply not working.
This C&R tool should support us by our regression tests. It must handle user actions and input. Can anyone here recommend a Capture & Replay product or report from his experiences?

Thank you for your support.

Best regards,
Tom Grünewald

________

Carl Zeiss
Industrielle Messtechnik GmbH/Industrial Metrology
Softwareentwicklung/Software Development

T o m G r ü n e w a l d

[hidden email]
http://www.zeiss.de/imt

Carl Zeiss Industrielle Messtechnik GmbH
Carl-Zeiss-Straße 22, 73447 Oberkochen
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Dr. Dieter Kurz
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Rainer Ohnheiser
Sitz der Gesellschaft: 73446 Oberkochen, Deutschland
Amtsgericht Ulm, HRB 501561, USt-IdNr.: DE 811 515 346

Capture & Replay Tools for VisualWorks 2

Gruenewald, Tom

Maybe I should say additionally, the used operating system is Microsoft Windows XP.

Best regards,
Tom Grünewald

________

Carl Zeiss
Industrielle Messtechnik GmbH/Industrial Metrology
Softwareentwicklung/Software Development

T o m G r ü n e w a l d

[hidden email]
http://www.zeiss.de/imt

Carl Zeiss Industrielle Messtechnik GmbH
Carl-Zeiss-Straße 22, 73447 Oberkochen
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Dr. Dieter Kurz
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Rainer Ohnheiser
Sitz der Gesellschaft: 73446 Oberkochen, Deutschland
Amtsgericht Ulm, HRB 501561, USt-IdNr.: DE 811 515 346

Inactive hide details for "Gruenewald, Tom" <t.gruenewald@zeiss.de>"Gruenewald, Tom" <[hidden email]>

An

[hidden email]

Kopie

Thema

[...]

pic05249.gif (1K) Download Attachment

RE: Capture & Replay Tools for VisualWorks

Steven Kelly

Hello Tom,

It would be great if you could post the names of the products you tested, and what areas you found were problematic with them. Were these tools within VisualWorks, or 3rd party tools for testing any Windows application? I'd imagine the latter might have difficulty with the fact that VW doesn't use native widgets.

We've not found a capture and replay tool that we liked. We didn't try many, just one or two quite a few years ago, because we decided we didn't want our tests to be based too much on the exact user interface. We've had good results for our own needs with normal non-UI SUnit tests for most things, and some VWUnit UI tests for special cases. The latter is in the public Store, but does require non-trivial programming for each test, rather than simply capture and replay.

All the best,

Steve

Amtsgericht Ulm, HRB 501561, USt-IdNr.: DE 811 515 346

RE: Capture & Replay Tools for VisualWorks

Gruenewald, Tom

Hello Steve.
All the tested Capture & Replay tools have been 3rd party products.

  • Mercury QuickTest Pro
  • Rational Robot
  • AutoTester ONE
  • WinTask

I did not do the tests by myself. So I cannot say exactly where the problems are. But it seems that the tools fail to find the window handle. Or something like that.

Best regards,
Tom Grünewald
________

Carl Zeiss
Industrielle Messtechnik GmbH/Industrial Metrology
Softwareentwicklung/Software Development

T o m G r ü n e w a l d

Telefon/Phone +49 73 64 20-85 41
Fax: +49 73 64 20-48 00
[hidden email]
http://www.zeiss.de/imt

Carl Zeiss Industrielle Messtechnik GmbH
Carl-Zeiss-Straße 22, 73447 Oberkochen
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Dr. Dieter Kurz
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Rainer Ohnheiser
Sitz der Gesellschaft: 73446 Oberkochen, Deutschland
Amtsgericht Ulm, HRB 501561, USt-IdNr.: DE 811 515 346

Inactive hide details for "Steven Kelly" <stevek@metacase.com>"Steven Kelly" <[hidden email]>

An

"Gruenewald, Tom" <[hidden email]>, <[hidden email]>

Kopie

Thema

[...]

Steve[hidden email]

pic24778.gif (1K) Download Attachment

AW: Capture & Replay Tools for VisualWorks

Nowak, Helge
Desar Mr. Grünewald,

you should try SilverMark Test Mentor. It is implemented in Smalltalk. By this you can can test on a completely different level than by the external tools you mention.

You'll find an evaluation version on your Cincom Smalltalk CD. Licenses you can obtain through Cincom.

HTH
Helge Nowak

Helge K. Nowak
Technical Account Manager Cincom Smalltalk
Cincom Systems GmbH & Co. oHG
Am Kronberger Hang 4
D-65824 Schwalbach/Ts.
Tel.: +49-(0)89-89664494
Mobil: +49-(0)172-7400402
Fax: +49-(0)89-89664495
Email: [hidden email]
Web: http://smalltalk.cincom.com

Alles über Cincom Smalltalk:
http://smalltalk.cincom.com

A standpoint is an intellectual horizon of radius zero.
-- Albert Einstein

Geschäftsführer/Managing Directors: Thomas M. Nies, Gerald L. Shawhan
oHG mit Sitz/based in Schwalbach/Ts. (Amtsgericht Königstein/Ts. HRA 2653)
Pers. haftender Gesellschafter/Partner liable to unlimited extent:
Cincom Systems Verwaltungsgesellschaft mbH (Amtsgericht Königstein/Ts. HRB 5069)

' src="cid:336132313@07032007-1fba" width=16>"Steven Kelly" <[hidden email]>

[...]

graycol.gif (144 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Capture & Replay Tools for VisualWorks

Runar Jordahl

I tested the product Helge mentions. It seems to work ok. I could mix mouse/keyboard recorded test with Smalltalk code.

The problem with using the other testing tools you mention is that they base their recording on mouse clicks on detecting events sent to native widgets. VisualWorks emulates the GUI, so basically there is only one graphical pane per application window. This is one of the disadvantages of emulated widgets, there are advantages too.

Soon, VisualWorks gets a new GUI framework (Widgetry). Test Mentor will not work with this framework unless the product is updated.

Runar Jordahl

On 3/7/07, Gruenewald, Tom <[hidden email]> wrote:
All the tested Capture & Replay tools have been 3rd party products.
  • Mercury QuickTest Pro
  • Rational Robot
  • AutoTester ONE
  • WinTask

I did not do the tests by myself. So I cannot say exactly where the problems are. But it seems that the tools fail to find the window handle. Or something like that.

Antwort: Re: Capture & Replay Tools for VisualWorks

Gruenewald, Tom

Dear Mr. Jordahl,
thank you for your respondence.

>> Soon, VisualWorks gets a new GUI framework (Widgetry).

What VisualWorks project do you talking about?
Can you (or someone else) please define "soon"? Next quarter, next year or the next ice age? :-)

Best regards,
Tom Grünewald

________

Inactive hide details for "Runar Jordahl" <runar.jordahl@gmail.com>"Runar Jordahl" <[hidden email]>

An

"Gruenewald, Tom" <[hidden email]>

Kopie

[hidden email], "Steven Kelly" <[hidden email]>

Thema

Re: Capture & Replay Tools for VisualWorks

I tested the product Helge mentions. It seems to work ok. I could mix mouse/keyboard recorded test with Smalltalk code.
The problem with using the other testing tools you mention is that they base their recording on mouse clicks on detecting events sent to native widgets. VisualWorks emulates the GUI, so basically there is only one graphical pane per application window. This is one of the disadvantages of emulated widgets, there are advantages too.
Soon, VisualWorks gets a new GUI framework (Widgetry). Test Mentor will not work with this framework unless the product is updated.

Runar Jordahl

    pic01012.gif (1K) Download Attachment

    AW: Antwort: Re: Capture & Replay Tools for VisualWorks

    Nowak, Helge
    Widgetry is the release name of what formerly was known as Panda which contains Pollock as the base GUI framework.

    We are aiming at delivering this with the next major version of Cincom Smalltalk VisualWorks.

    Sames, please correct me if I messed up the details!

    Cheers
    Helge

    ' src="cid:358221415@07032007-1fc8" width=16>"Runar Jordahl" <[hidden email]>

[...]

      Re: Antwort: Re: Capture & Replay Tools for VisualWorks

      jarober
      Widgetry is the product name for the project that
      we have been calling Pollock internally.  We will
      ship Widgetry as a supported GUI framework in the
      next major release of Cincom Smalltalk - but note
      that we have not scheduled that release yet.  We
      are engaged in planning meetings this week, and
      we are truing to nail down specific release requirements and timing

      At 10:08 AM 3/7/2007, you wrote:

      >Dear Mr. Jordahl,
      >thank you for your respondence.
      >
      > >> Soon, VisualWorks gets a new GUI framework (Widgetry).
      >
      >What VisualWorks project do you talking about?
      >Can you (or someone else) please define "soon"?
      >Next quarter, next year or the next ice age? :-)
      >
      >Best regards,
      >Tom Grünewald
      >
      >________
      >
      >Carl Zeiss
      >Industrielle Messtechnik GmbH/Industrial Metrology
      >Softwareentwicklung/Software Development
      >
      >T o m G r ü n e w a l d
      >
      >Telefon/Phone +49 73 64 20-85 41
      >Fax: +49 73 64 20-48 00
      ><mailto:[hidden email]>mailto:[hidden email]
      >http://www.zeiss.de/imt
      >
      >Carl Zeiss Industrielle Messtechnik GmbH
      >Carl-Zeiss-Straße 22, 73447 Oberkochen
      >Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Dr. Dieter Kurz
      >Geschäftsführer: Dr. Rainer Ohnheiser
      >Sitz der Gesellschaft: 73446 Oberkochen, Deutschland
      >Amtsgericht Ulm, HRB 501561, USt-IdNr.: DE 811 515 346
      >
      >Inactive hide details for "Runar Jordahl" <runar.j
      >"Runar Jordahl" <[hidden email]>
      >
      >"Runar Jordahl"
      ><[hidden email]>  Gesendet von: [hidden email]
      >
      >07.03.2007 14:50
      >[]
      >
      >An
      >[]
      >
      >"Gruenewald, Tom" <[hidden email]>
      >[]
      >
      >Kopie
      >[]
      >
      >[hidden email], "Steven Kelly" <[hidden email]>
      >[]
      >
      >Thema
      >[]
      >
      >Re: Capture & Replay Tools for VisualWorks
      >[]
      >[]
      >

      >I tested the product Helge mentions. It seems to
      >work ok. I could mix mouse/keyboard recorded test with Smalltalk code.
      >The problem with using the other testing tools
      >you mention is that they base their recording on
      >mouse clicks on detecting events sent to native
      >widgets. VisualWorks emulates the GUI, so
      >basically there is only one graphical pane per
      >application window. This is one of the
      >disadvantages of emulated widgets, there are advantages too.
      >Soon, VisualWorks gets a new GUI framework
      >(Widgetry). Test Mentor will not work with this
      >framework unless the product is updated.
      >
      >Runar Jordahl

      James Robertson, Product Manager, Cincom Smalltalk
      http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView

      3df295.gif (142 bytes) Download Attachment
      3df2b3.gif (60 bytes) Download Attachment