Cell Phones Software Development

Germán S. Arduino-2
Hi Guys:

Does exist or wil exist some way to port a Dolphin software to cell phones?

Cheers.
gsa.

Re: Cell Phones Software Development

Christopher J. Demers
"Germán S. Arduino" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
> Does exist or wil exist some way to port a Dolphin software to cell
> phones?

Dolphin Smalltalk won't run on any cell phones that I have ever heard of.
What OS do the cell phones you are interested in run?  You could look for
another implementation of Smalltalk that can target whatever cell phone OS
you want to support.  I believe there is Pocket Smalltalk that targets the
PalmOS.  I think there may be a version of Squeak that can target Windows
CE.  I think some cell phones support Java (or a variant of Java).  There
has been some talk of open sourcing a Smalltalk that can target Java byte
codes.  If you can run your Dolphin application as a web application you can
then access it from web enabled cell phones.

Chris

Re: Cell Phones Software Development

Germán S. Arduino-2
Thanks by the comments Chris.

I'm not targeting (yet) a specific platform, only evaluating a possible
project and I would be as general as possible and, if possible, using
Smalltalk. But the most ways seems to be to J2ME.

A thing that I don't understand is:

> If you can run your Dolphin application as a web application you can then
> access it from web enabled cell phones.

Do you means offer my app as a web service?

Cheers.
gsa.

"Christopher J. Demers" <[hidden email]> escribió en el
mensaje news:[hidden email]...

> "Germán S. Arduino" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> news:[hidden email]...
>> Does exist or wil exist some way to port a Dolphin software to cell
>> phones?
>
> Dolphin Smalltalk won't run on any cell phones that I have ever heard of.
> What OS do the cell phones you are interested in run?  You could look for
> another implementation of Smalltalk that can target whatever cell phone OS
> you want to support.  I believe there is Pocket Smalltalk that targets the
> PalmOS.  I think there may be a version of Squeak that can target Windows
> CE.  I think some cell phones support Java (or a variant of Java).  There
> has been some talk of open sourcing a Smalltalk that can target Java byte
> codes.  If you can run your Dolphin application as a web application you
> can then access it from web enabled cell phones.
>
> Chris

Re: Cell Phones Software Development

Christopher J. Demers
"Germán S. Arduino" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:42768c08$[hidden email]...
> A thing that I don't understand is:
>
>> If you can run your Dolphin application as a web application you can then
>> access it from web enabled cell phones.
>
> Do you means offer my app as a web service?

Yes that is what I meant.  It would likely be very compatible with different
devices.  However it would be dependant upon a high quality economical phone
based internet connection.  This approach may or may not be practical
depending upon what your application actually does and who your target
audience is.  I don't know what the current state of the technology is.
Some years ago just for fun I wrote a VBScript ASP tip calculator that used
WML via WAP (You can learn more here
http://www.w3schools.com/wap/default.asp ).  It was fun to play with, but
was ultimately useless since my old phone's web connection was so slow to
connect.

Chris

Re: Cell Phones Software Development

Eliot Miranda
Christopher J. Demers wrote:

> "Germán S. Arduino" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> news:[hidden email]...
>
>>Does exist or wil exist some way to port a Dolphin software to cell
>>phones?
>

> Dolphin Smalltalk won't run on any cell phones that I have ever heard of.
> What OS do the cell phones you are interested in run?  You could look for
> another implementation of Smalltalk that can target whatever cell phone OS
> you want to support.  I believe there is Pocket Smalltalk that targets the
> PalmOS.  I think there may be a version of Squeak that can target Windows
> CE.

VisualWorks also supports WinCE ARM and x86-compatible devices.  No
Hitachi or MIPS support yet.

--
Eliot Miranda              Smalltalk - Scene not herd

Re: Cell Phones Software Development

Germán S. Arduino-2
Thanks Chris and Eliot by the data.

"Eliot Miranda" <[hidden email]> escribió en el mensaje
news:ICwde.451$[hidden email]...

--
Eliot Miranda              Smalltalk - Scene not herd