Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Challenge

Philip Weaver
If no member of this mailing list is exploring any degree of funding to help propel this project, then that is a great tragedy.

There are approximately 110 people on these lists. This issue does not fall to Jens or Dan or Robert. I will allow myself to be challenged and I will welcome the challenge. If no member of this mailing list is exploring any degree of funding to help propel this project or some derivative then that is a great tragedy.

I will email each of you individually if necessary.

Philip Weaver
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Challenge

Philip Weaver
On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 1:45 AM, a Lively Kernel user wrote:

This project is funded by the Hasso Plattner Institut and that is good thing, a very good thing. But I think it would be strange to fund the Hasso Plattner Institut that is funding the lively kernel? (May be in the US that is not uncommon.)

I think there should be created Lively projects that could then  be funded individuallly and mostly independent of the Institute. And if you think about funding by individuals there should  be a Paypal account on the Lively page.

Lively kernel is not so well known in the professional circles and the Hacker community.. May be some CS experts know that project and I know there are some presentations on congresses. (But who is reading proceedings beside some PHD students?) I think there should be more done in advertising, say write articles in journals with some illustrative experiments read by "normal" users. And last but not least I miss the vision. Well, there is the lively factory, but where is the vision for the common user? Funds come with interest in the particular project.

Reply | Threaded
|

Philip Weaver
In reply to this post by Philip Weaver
On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 1:45 AM, a Lively Kernel user wrote:

This project is funded by the Hasso Plattner Institut and that is good thing, a very good thing. But I think it would be strange to fund the Hasso Plattner Institut that is funding the lively kernel? (May be in the US that is not uncommon.)

I think there should be created Lively projects that could then  be funded individuallly and mostly independent of the Institute. And if you think about funding by individuals there should  be a Paypal account on the Lively page.

Lively kernel is not so well known in the professional circles and the Hacker community.. May be some CS experts know that project and I know there are some presentations on congresses. (But who is reading proceedings beside some PHD students?) I think there should be more done in advertising, say write articles in journals with some illustrative experiments read by "normal" users. And last but not least I miss the vision. Well, there is the lively factory, but where is the vision for the common user? Funds come with interest in the particular project.
Reply | Threaded
|

Philip Weaver
In reply to this post by Philip Weaver
Re: strange to fund the Hasso Plattner Institut

https://giving.mit.edu/givenow/GiftStart.dyn

Primary issue: cash flow.

On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 1:45 AM, bb <[hidden email]> wrote:

Regards BB