Change indicator for resources

Ian Bartholomew-16
Not sure if this has been reported before...

The change indicator for a resource, on the PackageBrowser's resource tab,
is not automatically cleared when the package is saved.

Ian

Re: Change indicator for resources

Andy Bower
Ian,

> The change indicator for a resource, on the PackageBrowser's resource tab,
> is not automatically cleared when the package is saved.

I can't reproduce this here (and I can't remember it having been fixed) so
could you give me a blow by blow account of how to reproduce it. Also, are
you using PAC or PAX?

Best Regards,

Andy Bower
Dolphin Support
http://www.object-arts.com
---
Are you trying too hard?
http://www.object-arts.com/Relax.htm
---

Re: Change indicator for resources

Ian Bartholomew-16
\Andy,

> I can't reproduce this here (and I can't remember it having been fixed) so
> could you give me a blow by blow account of how to reproduce it. Also, are
> you using PAC or PAX?

I didn't appreciate that it was dependant on the way I was saving the
package or I would have mentioned it yesterday, sorry.  I've just discovered
that it only occurs when you save the package from the context menu for the
package view in a SystemBrowser. After editing a resource and saving it's
associated package from the SystemBrowser I can open up the PackageBrowser,
select to the package (which isn't showing as modified) and change to the
resource tab to see the red marker still next to the resource.

PAC and a default 5.01

Regards
    Ian

Re: Change indicator for resources

Ian Bartholomew-16
... and I've just discovered it's not dependent on the SystemBrowser and
also has a further subtlety....

I've got a package that includes a Shell subclass and that subclass has one
defined default view.

On a clean 5.0.1 image.
- Open the PackageBrowser and install the package.
- Locate the package in the list and change to the resource tab (so you can
see both markers)
- Double click the resource to open the VC and then just save it.

Both package and resource now have a change marker. Press the toolbar "Save"
button, both markers disappear.

Repeat the above but this time use the packages context menu "Save" command.
This time the package marker goes but the resource marker stays.

If you use the main File/Save Package menu then once again the resource
marker is retained.

It all appears to be because there are two different methods available,
#savePackages and #savePackageChanges, and the former doesn't clear the
resource marker whereas the latter does.  Perhaps it's intentional for some
reason?

Regards
    Ian

Re: Change indicator for resources

Christopher J. Demers
Ian Bartholomew <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> Not sure if this has been reported before...
>
> The change indicator for a resource, on the PackageBrowser's resource tab,
> is not automatically cleared when the package is saved.

I mentioned something similar in May, but I was not confident enough in my
understanding of the intended behavior to call this a bug for sure.  This
might be related to what you are seeing.

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=abeoct%24hitoh%241%40ID-50880.news.dfnc
is.de

"I was going to report the fact that classes change flags are not set to
false upon a package save as a quirk.  However looking at Dolphin 4 it
looks like it might behave similarly.  So perhaps the only difference is
that I now notice this condition whereas before I did not.  Should the
change flags of the contents of a package be set to false when the package
is saved?  I suppose this has something to do with a file based source
control system.  Perhaps the option to reset package changes should be
enabled?" ...

FYI, I am using PAC files.

Chris

Re: Change indicator for resources

Nico de Boer-2
The same is also true for globals and classes, which can be seen in detailed
view.

Nico

"Ian Bartholomew" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> Not sure if this has been reported before...
>
> The change indicator for a resource, on the PackageBrowser's resource tab,
> is not automatically cleared when the package is saved.
>
> Ian

Re: Change indicator for resources

Ian Bartholomew-17
Chris,

> I mentioned something similar in May, but I was not confident enough in my
> understanding of the intended behavior to call this a bug for sure.  This
> might be related to what you are seeing.

Yep, it looks like that may be related to the problem.  #savePackages
doesn't appear to reset a class' #isChanged flag but #savePackageChanges
does - I'm not sure which is the cause and which is the effect though.

It's also not the whole story because, as far as the change markers goes
anyway, saving in a PAX format seems to work as expected.

> Yep, it looks like that may be related to the problem.  #savePackages
> doesn't appear to reset a class' #isChanged flag but #savePackageChanges
> does - I'm not sure which is the cause and which is the effect though.
>
> It's also not the whole story because, as far as the change markers goes
> anyway, saving in a PAX format seems to work as expected.

I am glad I am not the only one who found this a little puzzling.  I wonder
if this is the intent, so someone using PAX for a version control system
won't mess up their change indicators if they happen to save a package as a
PAC file to give to a friend.  However I would like to know what the
official OA line on this is.

Chris