Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Changes for PharoDev

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi. Today, we have a good way to manage packages/projects (Metacello) and a good way to automatically build images (Hudson).

Several months ago, I suggested to remove the PharoWeb image for several reasons (I won't mention them here, check in the mailing list).

People have different ideas of what to put in dev images and we cannot all agree. So, I won't say anything new, but just suggest something:

Pharo1.2 is beta and it is almost there. We shouldn't change it that much before the release. So, I would include in the Pharo1.2 image what we were including more or less in Pharo1.1.

The dev image is being built using ConfigurationOfPharo. This conf, has defined different groups, included the 'Dev' group which us used for building the dev image. Now, what about adding to ConfugurationOfPharo, much more projects, and creating groups for them. Then, with Hudson we can REALLY EASY build another image, but not with the 'Dev' group, but with 'Web' for example. Web is just an example, but we can put as much as we want.

I would create a PharoWeb which can contain ALL seaside related stuff (core, addons, pier, margitte, blah). We can use ConfigurationOfSeaside. The same for Aida. We can also add WebClient, Zn, seaside testing, or whatever web related you want.

Then we can create a PharoExtras, where we can put (in addition to pharoDev) what it is now in PharoNonCore, plus MemoryMonitor, XMLSupport, Mocker, AutoTest, KeyBindings, etc etc etc. Things that are not "dev tools" but that they are working in pharo and that would be welcome for newcomers.

Last comment is that it would be nice if all this can be done using the new symbolicVersions of the new Metacello version.

what do you think ?

cheers

mariano

ps: if you like it, we need help to update ConfigurationOfPharo and probably all its referenced confs (to use the stale symbolic version)
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Changes for PharoDev

Schwab,Wilhelm K
+1

Sent: Thursday, January 13, 2011 11:41 AM
To: Pharo Development
Subject: [Pharo-project] Changes for PharoDev

Hi. Today, we have a good way to manage packages/projects (Metacello) and a good way to automatically build images (Hudson).

Several months ago, I suggested to remove the PharoWeb image for several reasons (I won't mention them here, check in the mailing list).

People have different ideas of what to put in dev images and we cannot all agree. So, I won't say anything new, but just suggest something:

Pharo1.2 is beta and it is almost there. We shouldn't change it that much before the release. So, I would include in the Pharo1.2 image what we were including more or less in Pharo1.1.

The dev image is being built using ConfigurationOfPharo. This conf, has defined different groups, included the 'Dev' group which us used for building the dev image. Now, what about adding to ConfugurationOfPharo, much more projects, and creating groups for them. Then, with Hudson we can REALLY EASY build another image, but not with the 'Dev' group, but with 'Web' for example. Web is just an example, but we can put as much as we want.

I would create a PharoWeb which can contain ALL seaside related stuff (core, addons, pier, margitte, blah). We can use ConfigurationOfSeaside. The same for Aida. We can also add WebClient, Zn, seaside testing, or whatever web related you want.

Then we can create a PharoExtras, where we can put (in addition to pharoDev) what it is now in PharoNonCore, plus MemoryMonitor, XMLSupport, Mocker, AutoTest, KeyBindings, etc etc etc. Things that are not "dev tools" but that they are working in pharo and that would be welcome for newcomers.

Last comment is that it would be nice if all this can be done using the new symbolicVersions of the new Metacello version.

what do you think ?

cheers

mariano

ps: if you like it, we need help to update ConfigurationOfPharo and probably all its referenced confs (to use the stale symbolic version)

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Changes for PharoDev

Stéphane Ducasse
In reply to this post by Mariano Martinez Peck
> Hi. Today, we have a good way to manage packages/projects (Metacello) and a good way to automatically build images (Hudson).
>
> Several months ago, I suggested to remove the PharoWeb image for several reasons (I won't mention them here, check in the mailing list).
>
> People have different ideas of what to put in dev images and we cannot all agree. So, I won't say anything new, but just suggest something:
>
> Pharo1.2 is beta and it is almost there. We shouldn't change it that much before the release. So, I would include in the Pharo1.2 image what we were including more or less in Pharo1.1.
>
> The dev image is being built using ConfigurationOfPharo. This conf, has defined different groups, included the 'Dev' group which us used for building the dev image. Now, what about adding to ConfugurationOfPharo, much more projects, and creating groups for them. Then, with Hudson we can REALLY EASY build another image, but not with the 'Dev' group, but with 'Web' for example. Web is just an example, but we can put as much as we want.
>
> I would create a PharoWeb which can contain ALL seaside related stuff (core, addons, pier, margitte, blah). We can use ConfigurationOfSeaside. The same for Aida. We can also add WebClient, Zn, seaside testing, or whatever web related you want.

Not you mariano.
Somebody that needs the web stuff.
To make sure that the system works people should have the energy to maintain a config.
Fix the conflicts....

> Then we can create a PharoExtras, where we can put (in addition to pharoDev) what it is now in PharoNonCore, plus MemoryMonitor, XMLSupport, Mocker, AutoTest, KeyBindings, etc etc etc. Things that are not "dev tools" but that they are working in pharo and that would be welcome for newcomers.

Keybinding should probably be evaluated and part of it deeply integrated in the system

> Last comment is that it would be nice if all this can be done using the new symbolicVersions of the new Metacello version.

Yes

>
> what do you think ?

What I said before. Let us focus on the infrastructure so that other people can join and maintain their own assets.

> cheers
>
> mariano
>
> ps: if you like it, we need help to update ConfigurationOfPharo and probably all its referenced confs (to use the stale symbolic version)
Exactly :)