Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
21 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Changes to Browser building/opening

timrowledge
I hurt my back a couple of weeks ago and so I found myself forced to sit on my office chair as the least painful place to be. With nothing urgent to do other than avoid boredom, I finally thought to myself that I would attack an annoyance that has been annoying me for years in Squeak.

Well as is so often the case, as I dug into what to do I got distracted. In this case I stumbled upon the assorted Browser related methods for building the browsers.  So far as I can see waaaay back when we adopted the ToolBuilder idea a whole bunch of methods got hacked about to work with it and then just left to moulder. For example a number of messages that clearly used to actually build windows got turned into code that did no such thing and instead assembled a spec to pass to a toolbuilder. The comments usually didn’t even get updated. Oh, and the ability to spawn browsers with a partially edited bit of code seems to have gone away at that point. And the simple toolbuilder idiom that allows
  ToolBuilder open: BlahClass
didn’t seem to work too well froBrowsers either. Part of that is because the Browser code can build a stack of different UIs instead of the simplistic approach of 'one class one UI’. We could have split Browser up a bit to make that work, and maybe we still should. It has appeal.

There was much related ‘fun’ whilst digging into the area, where I discovered that we have SystemNavigation having some code that tries to build assorted browsers (with many comments containing broken examples, sigh), ToolSet and StandardToolSet gathering some Browser building and SystemBrowser doing nothing more complex than deciding between Browser and PackagePaneBrowser. None of this has much in the way of helpful commentary. Oh and let’s not forget UIManager which seems to get tangled in it as well. I found places where a browser was referred to both via ToolSet and Browser. And whilst having pragmas to mark menu related methods is a neat idea it would be a whole lot better if only you could sensibly find the damned things with implementors-of etc.

I made a small pile of changes to clean up at least some of this. I’ve made the building more explicit and enabled 'ToolBuilder open: Browser/HierarchyBrowser/ClassListBrowser' etc. I managed to make the spawning-with-partial-text thing work in all the cases I can find. I think I broke something in MVC projects but right now I can’t even get into an mvc project to look - and given that I didn’t (knowingly) touch changesorters I’m not sure it’s my fault.

The changes range across several MC packages so I think it is better to share the changes file for an initial look-see. It’s on the swiki at http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2736

tim
--
tim Rowledge; [hidden email]; http://www.rowledge.org/tim
It said, "Insert disk #3," but only two will fit!

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Changes to Browser building/opening

David T. Lewis
Review notes:

The affected packages are System, ToolBuilder, Morphic, Tools, ST80, and ToolBuilder-Morphic.
Make sure your trunk image is up to date for those packages, then file in
the change set that Tim posted.

I have not really gone through the changes in Tools yet (which are the heart
of the matter), but I will offer some nit-picky comments just to get the
conversation started.

Changes to package System affect a couple of method comments, all good.

The change in package ToolBuilder is minor, no issues, but I didn't mind
the old version that was more wordy but maybe more intention revealing? Fine
either way though.

Package Morphic has a comment added to browseClassFromIt that says "OK, so
do we actually need to go via systemNavigation or is ToolSet ok". I don't
know the answer ... good question for the squeak-dev list but I fear that
the method comment may sit there for the next 20 years without an answer ;-)
TextEditor>>browseIt is a good simplification, but the comment about "more
confusion here" leaves me more confused, so maybe delete the comment and
raise the question on squeak-dev?

The change in package ToolBuilder-Morphic might be a mistake, as there are
no implementors of #modalFileSelectorForPattern: (or is something missing
from the change set?

ST80 changes are a simplification of #browseClassFromIt (good) and a comment
in #browseIt. The comment says "more confusion here" which does not leave
me any less confused, could we discuss on the list instead?

Most of the real changes are in Tools, about to start browsing them now :-)

Dave

On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 05:04:06PM -0700, tim Rowledge wrote:

> I hurt my back a couple of weeks ago and so I found myself forced to sit on my office chair as the least painful place to be. With nothing urgent to do other than avoid boredom, I finally thought to myself that I would attack an annoyance that has been annoying me for years in Squeak.
>
> Well as is so often the case, as I dug into what to do I got distracted. In this case I stumbled upon the assorted Browser related methods for building the browsers.  So far as I can see waaaay back when we adopted the ToolBuilder idea a whole bunch of methods got hacked about to work with it and then just left to moulder. For example a number of messages that clearly used to actually build windows got turned into code that did no such thing and instead assembled a spec to pass to a toolbuilder. The comments usually didn???t even get updated. Oh, and the ability to spawn browsers with a partially edited bit of code seems to have gone away at that point. And the simple toolbuilder idiom that allows
>   ToolBuilder open: BlahClass
> didn???t seem to work too well froBrowsers either. Part of that is because the Browser code can build a stack of different UIs instead of the simplistic approach of 'one class one UI???. We could have split Browser up a bit to make that work, and maybe we still should. It has appeal.
>
> There was much related ???fun??? whilst digging into the area, where I discovered that we have SystemNavigation having some code that tries to build assorted browsers (with many comments containing broken examples, sigh), ToolSet and StandardToolSet gathering some Browser building and SystemBrowser doing nothing more complex than deciding between Browser and PackagePaneBrowser. None of this has much in the way of helpful commentary. Oh and let???s not forget UIManager which seems to get tangled in it as well. I found places where a browser was referred to both via ToolSet and Browser. And whilst having pragmas to mark menu related methods is a neat idea it would be a whole lot better if only you could sensibly find the damned things with implementors-of etc.
>
> I made a small pile of changes to clean up at least some of this. I???ve made the building more explicit and enabled 'ToolBuilder open: Browser/HierarchyBrowser/ClassListBrowser' etc. I managed to make the spawning-with-partial-text thing work in all the cases I can find. I think I broke something in MVC projects but right now I can???t even get into an mvc project to look - and given that I didn???t (knowingly) touch changesorters I???m not sure it???s my fault.
>
> The changes range across several MC packages so I think it is better to share the changes file for an initial look-see. It???s on the swiki at http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2736
>
> tim
> --
> tim Rowledge; [hidden email]; http://www.rowledge.org/tim
> It said, "Insert disk #3," but only two will fit!
>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

David T. Lewis
On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 09:29:06PM -0400, David T. Lewis wrote:

> Review notes:
>
> The affected packages are System, ToolBuilder, Morphic, Tools, ST80, and ToolBuilder-Morphic.
> Make sure your trunk image is up to date for those packages, then file in
> the change set that Tim posted.
>
> I have not really gone through the changes in Tools yet (which are the heart
> of the matter), but I will offer some nit-picky comments just to get the
> conversation started.
>
> Changes to package System affect a couple of method comments, all good.
>
> The change in package ToolBuilder is minor, no issues, but I didn't mind
> the old version that was more wordy but maybe more intention revealing? Fine
> either way though.
>
> Package Morphic has a comment added to browseClassFromIt that says "OK, so
> do we actually need to go via systemNavigation or is ToolSet ok". I don't
> know the answer ... good question for the squeak-dev list but I fear that
> the method comment may sit there for the next 20 years without an answer ;-)
> TextEditor>>browseIt is a good simplification, but the comment about "more
> confusion here" leaves me more confused, so maybe delete the comment and
> raise the question on squeak-dev?
>
> The change in package ToolBuilder-Morphic might be a mistake, as there are
> no implementors of #modalFileSelectorForPattern: (or is something missing
> from the change set?
>
> ST80 changes are a simplification of #browseClassFromIt (good) and a comment
> in #browseIt. The comment says "more confusion here" which does not leave
> me any less confused, could we discuss on the list instead?
>
> Most of the real changes are in Tools, about to start browsing them now :-)

The Tools changes look like a nice cleanup that makes the code easier to read
and understand.

+1

Dave

>
> On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 05:04:06PM -0700, tim Rowledge wrote:
> > I hurt my back a couple of weeks ago and so I found myself forced to sit on my office chair as the least painful place to be. With nothing urgent to do other than avoid boredom, I finally thought to myself that I would attack an annoyance that has been annoying me for years in Squeak.
> >
> > Well as is so often the case, as I dug into what to do I got distracted. In this case I stumbled upon the assorted Browser related methods for building the browsers.  So far as I can see waaaay back when we adopted the ToolBuilder idea a whole bunch of methods got hacked about to work with it and then just left to moulder. For example a number of messages that clearly used to actually build windows got turned into code that did no such thing and instead assembled a spec to pass to a toolbuilder. The comments usually didn???t even get updated. Oh, and the ability to spawn browsers with a partially edited bit of code seems to have gone away at that point. And the simple toolbuilder idiom that allows
> >   ToolBuilder open: BlahClass
> > didn???t seem to work too well froBrowsers either. Part of that is because the Browser code can build a stack of different UIs instead of the simplistic approach of 'one class one UI???. We could have split Browser up a bit to make that work, and maybe we still should. It has appeal.
> >
> > There was much related ???fun??? whilst digging into the area, where I discovered that we have SystemNavigation having some code that tries to build assorted browsers (with many comments containing broken examples, sigh), ToolSet and StandardToolSet gathering some Browser building and SystemBrowser doing nothing more complex than deciding between Browser and PackagePaneBrowser. None of this has much in the way of helpful commentary. Oh and let???s not forget UIManager which seems to get tangled in it as well. I found places where a browser was referred to both via ToolSet and Browser. And whilst having pragmas to mark menu related methods is a neat idea it would be a whole lot better if only you could sensibly find the damned things with implementors-of etc.
> >
> > I made a small pile of changes to clean up at least some of this. I???ve made the building more explicit and enabled 'ToolBuilder open: Browser/HierarchyBrowser/ClassListBrowser' etc. I managed to make the spawning-with-partial-text thing work in all the cases I can find. I think I broke something in MVC projects but right now I can???t even get into an mvc project to look - and given that I didn???t (knowingly) touch changesorters I???m not sure it???s my fault.
> >
> > The changes range across several MC packages so I think it is better to share the changes file for an initial look-see. It???s on the swiki at http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2736
> >
> > tim
> > --
> > tim Rowledge; [hidden email]; http://www.rowledge.org/tim
> > It said, "Insert disk #3," but only two will fit!
> >
> >
> >
>

Reply | Threaded
|

David T. Lewis
In reply to this post by David T. Lewis
On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 09:29:06PM -0400, David T. Lewis wrote:
>
> Package Morphic has a comment added to browseClassFromIt that says "OK, so
> do we actually need to go via systemNavigation or is ToolSet ok". I don't
> know the answer ... good question for the squeak-dev list but I fear that
> the method comment may sit there for the next 20 years without an answer ;-)

D'oh, I see it now. For TextEditor>>browseClassFromIt the answer is no we
do not need to go via SystemNavigation. And there are four other senders of
SystemNavigation>>spawnHierarchyForClass:selector: that could also be
changed to refer directly to ToolSet.

On the other hand, knowing about the hierarchy for a class seems to be more
naturally a responsibility of a SystemNavigation than of a ToolSet, especially
since the responsibilities of class ToolSet are rather vague (it seems
to be just an assortment of class side utility methods). So even though
#spawnHierarcyForClass:selector: is using ToolSet, the method seems well
placed in SystemNavigation.

I'd say leave it alone.

Dave

Reply | Threaded
|

Ben Coman
In reply to this post by timrowledge

On Sat, Oct 21, 2017 at 8:04 AM, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
And whilst having pragmas to mark menu related methods is a neat idea it would be a whole lot better if only you could sensibly find the damned things with implementors-of etc.

I don't have access to either Squeak nor Pharo image to confirm, but in Pharo I vaguely remember that pragmas (a bit non-intuitively) are found via senders-of. 
Maybe Squeak is similar??

cheers -ben

Reply | Threaded
|

Jakob Reschke-2
Am 21.10.2017 06:05 schrieb "Ben Coman" <[hidden email]>:

I don't have access to either Squeak nor Pharo image to confirm, but in Pharo I vaguely remember that pragmas (a bit non-intuitively) are found via senders-of. 

Yes, pragmas and symbols can be found via senders in Squeak, too.

Reply | Threaded
|

David T. Lewis
On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 05:04:06PM -0700, tim Rowledge wrote:

> I hurt my back a couple of weeks ago and so I found myself forced to sit on my office chair as the least painful place to be. With nothing urgent to do other than avoid boredom, I finally thought to myself that I would attack an annoyance that has been annoying me for years in Squeak.
>
> Well as is so often the case, as I dug into what to do I got distracted. In this case I stumbled upon the assorted Browser related methods for building the browsers.  So far as I can see waaaay back when we adopted the ToolBuilder idea a whole bunch of methods got hacked about to work with it and then just left to moulder. For example a number of messages that clearly used to actually build windows got turned into code that did no such thing and instead assembled a spec to pass to a toolbuilder. The comments usually didn???t even get updated. Oh, and the ability to spawn browsers with a partially edited bit of code seems to have gone away at that point. And the simple toolbuilder idiom that allows
>   ToolBuilder open: BlahClass
> didn???t seem to work too well froBrowsers either. Part of that is because the Browser code can build a stack of different UIs instead of the simplistic approach of 'one class one UI???. We could have split Browser up a bit to make that work, and maybe we still should. It has appeal.
>
> There was much related ???fun??? whilst digging into the area, where I discovered that we have SystemNavigation having some code that tries to build assorted browsers (with many comments containing broken examples, sigh), ToolSet and StandardToolSet gathering some Browser building and SystemBrowser doing nothing more complex than deciding between Browser and PackagePaneBrowser. None of this has much in the way of helpful commentary. Oh and let???s not forget UIManager which seems to get tangled in it as well. I found places where a browser was referred to both via ToolSet and Browser. And whilst having pragmas to mark menu related methods is a neat idea it would be a whole lot better if only you could sensibly find the damned things with implementors-of etc.
>
> I made a small pile of changes to clean up at least some of this. I???ve made the building more explicit and enabled 'ToolBuilder open: Browser/HierarchyBrowser/ClassListBrowser' etc. I managed to make the spawning-with-partial-text thing work in all the cases I can find. I think I broke something in MVC projects but right now I can???t even get into an mvc project to look - and given that I didn???t (knowingly) touch changesorters I???m not sure it???s my fault.
>
> The changes range across several MC packages so I think it is better to share the changes file for an initial look-see. It???s on the swiki at http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2736
>

Following an initial look at the change set, I would say that the changes
for System (comment fixes) should go directly to trunk, and the changes for
Tools seem to stand on their own, so I think you can post them to the inbox.

My working image has your change set loaded, then I backed out everything
except the Tools changes, and all still seems to be fine. That's why I think
it should be OK to post the Tools update to the inbox.

I would vote for the Tools changes to go from inbox to trunk, but it would
be best if one or two other people can look at them first.

Dave

Reply | Threaded
|

Kjell Godo
In reply to this post by Ben Coman

On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 21:05 Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sat, Oct 21, 2017 at 8:04 AM, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
And whilst having pragmas to mark menu related methods is a neat idea it would be a whole lot better if only you could sensibly find the damned things with implementors-of etc.

cheers -ben

in Pharo the Finder Window has a drop down menu for finding Pragmas

Reply | Threaded
|

timrowledge
Thanks for taking a look at this so quickly Dave. 

In fact you were *so* quick that you got the slightly broken changeset I replaced within a few minutes! That removed the definitely spurious#modalFileSelectorForPattern: method which was a left-over from the work I was originally doing for the save-as stuff. I also cleaned out a few no-longer used methods.

The comments about confusion have clearly served their purpose in alerting reviewers to stuff I didn’t resolve. It’s nice to know they got read :-)  The follow up must be to actually do a better commenting job on the systemnavigation/toolset/standardtoolset/systembrowser/uimanager side.

I’m also interested in suggestions for updating the BrowserTest>>#testBuildMessageCategoryBrowserEditString method to do something meaningful with the partial-edit text; right now the browser opens and sort of sticks there because of the ‘do you want to cancel’ dialogue. And indeed, does the reinstated partial-edit stuff actually do what we want? It’s been quite a while since it worked and I had completely forgotten about it.

As a follow up on the untested MVC effects, I have confusing news. A fully updated image lets me open an MVC project and make browsers etc, although they look a bit odd with some parts coloured and some monochrome. I get quite a lot of uncleared gribbleys on the display when moving them. Also my first attempt to load my changes from within the MVC project (just in case) was stymied by a very broken FileList that completely messed up trying to navigate directories. Eventually I was able to open a file view on my changes. An attempt to file it in was problematic because the menu looks like this - 
It might take a moment to spot that the ‘more…’ is not at the bottom and clicking on the ‘filein entire file’ crashes because the index in to the menu was 21 (I think - way greater than the number of elements anyway) !
Eventually I selected the entire text and used the ‘filein selection’, which loaded the code ok. Opening a browser or workspace seemed fine at this point, so that implies my changes didn’t break anything directly involved.  Still trying to work out what might be wrong.

tim
--
Science is imagination equipped with grappling hooks.

Reply | Threaded
|

timrowledge
In reply to this post by Kjell Godo

> On 21-10-2017, at 12:05 PM, Kjell Godo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>
> On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 21:05 Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 21, 2017 at 8:04 AM, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
> And whilst having pragmas to mark menu related methods is a neat idea it would be a whole lot better if only you could sensibly find the damned things with implementors-of etc.
>
> I don't have access to either Squeak nor Pharo image to confirm, but in Pharo I vaguely remember that pragmas (a bit non-intuitively) are found via senders-of.
> Maybe Squeak is similar??

It is, and I found it accidentally via random flailing (I need to write a book on Programming by Random Flailing. It’s evidently what most of the commercial software world does) and whilst it is just fine as a quick and dirty approach it really isn’t what a helpful IDE should do. After all the typical related code is listing the selector in a way that has always meant a message being sent by this code and find it by listing implementors. We can do better.
>
>
> in Pharo the Finder Window has a drop down menu for finding Pragmas

That sounds like a decent start. It’s like Traits and now Environments; good ideas screwed up by being incomplete and untooled.

tim
--
Fractured Idiom:- MAZEL TON - Lots of luck

Reply | Threaded
|

David T. Lewis
On Sat, Oct 21, 2017 at 12:07:15PM -0700, tim Rowledge wrote:
>
> As a follow up on the untested MVC effects, I have confusing news. A fully updated image lets me open an MVC project and make browsers etc, although they look a bit odd with some parts coloured and some monochrome. I get quite a lot of uncleared gribbleys on the display when moving them. Also my first attempt to load my changes from within the MVC project (just in case) was stymied by a very broken FileList that completely messed up trying to navigate directories. Eventually I was able to open a file view on my changes. An attempt to file it in was problematic because the menu looks like this -
>

I am not seeing any problems in MVC (and I did check earlier too). I am using
a 64bit updated trunk on linux. At the moment I have just the Tools changes
from your original change set loaded, but I am not seeing any problems. It
worked fine in MVC with the full (early version) change set loaded too.

Dave

Reply | Threaded
|

CustomMenu building and services (was Re: Changes to Browser building/opening)

timrowledge
After tracing through the menu building (oh, my) the problem I see with an MVC file view window menu is that the services added in (I think) SimpleServiceEntry>>#addServiceFor:toMenu: add the label and selector and argument BUT there is an assumption about the list of arguments which is unmet. Thus we end up with a menu having a 21 entry list of labels/selectors and only 4 items of arguments. So the code at the end of CustomMenu>>#invokeOn:orSendTo: that tries to do
`ifFalse:
                                [recipient perform: aSelector withArguments: (self arguments at: anIndex)]]`
… which must fail since arguments at: 21 cannot work.

tim
--
Strange OpCodes: SLTMDL: Shift Left, Test Mask and Dim the Lights

Reply | Threaded
|

timrowledge
It looks like my changes that handle the partial-edit strings when spawning cannot work in MVC because of the way windows are launched. I guess we’d need to do the stringEdit magic after building the window but before launching it?

tim
--
Useful random insult:- During evolution his ancestors were in the control group.

Reply | Threaded
|

timrowledge
I’ve added Tools-tpr.769 to the inbox, so as long ayou have an up to date image you ought have no problem loading the proposed Browser build changes to review them.

tim
--
A computer program does what you tell it to do, not what you want it to do.

Reply | Threaded
|

David T. Lewis
On Sun, Oct 22, 2017 at 03:54:48PM -0700, tim Rowledge wrote:
> I???ve added Tools-tpr.769 to the inbox, so as long ayou have an up to date image you ought have no problem loading the proposed Browser build changes to review them.
>
>

This seems fine to me.

Did you mention some kind of problem with opening tools in MVC? I do not see
any problems in my image, but if there is something flakey I'll try to reproduce.

Aside from that I'd say go ahead and move it to trunk.

Dave

Reply | Threaded
|

Kjell Godo

On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 17:04 tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
I hurt my back a couple of weeks ago and so I found myself forced to sit on my office chair as the least painful place to be. With nothing urgent to do other than avoid boredom, I finally thought to myself that I would attack an annoyance that has been annoying me for years in Squeak.

Well as is so often the case, as I dug into what to do I got distracted. In this case I stumbled upon the assorted Browser related methods for building the browsers.  So far as I can see waaaay back when we adopted the ToolBuilder idea a whole bunch of methods got hacked about to work with it and then just left to moulder. For example a number of messages that clearly used to actually build windows got turned into code that did no such thing and instead assembled a spec to pass to a toolbuilder. The comments usually didn’t even get updated. Oh, and the ability to spawn browsers with a partially edited bit of code seems to have gone away at that point. And the simple toolbuilder idiom that allows
  ToolBuilder open: BlahClass
didn’t seem to work too well froBrowsers either. Part of that is because the Browser code can build a stack

i have Methods which have case statements in them which switch off of the Method inputs which act like command line options. so there might be seven different options and seven different cases. do you think that these cases should be separated out into seperate Methods( equal selector prefixes ) one for each of the cases?

i sometimes feel that if the cases are all similar then it is easier to see the similarity if you can just scroll text up and down.  so just use a case statement.  but it does get more messy upon first glances. but separating them out into seperate Methods is more to the standard.

But in Dolphin i also have a Tree browser which allows traversing the seperate Window tree bullets keyboard only which can have the same effect as scrolling text so. because you can set up each Window seperately once and it will remember it. but with the SystemBrowser i have to scroll the text of each Method i come to to get to the code and by then i lose track. i suppose i could make a tree file which has these seven Methods in it and i could then get the same eye ball effect as scrolling text. i should try it. or i could get rid of the initial comments at the top of each Method which are according to a repeated template. yes i should probably do this. that way i would not have to scroll text as much and then the SystemBrowser might be good enough more.

of different UIs instead of the simplistic approach of 'one class one UI’. We could have split Browser up a bit to make that work, and maybe we still should. It has appeal.

There was much related ‘fun’ whilst digging into the area, where I discovered that we have SystemNavigation having some code that tries to build assorted browsers (with many comments containing broken examples, sigh), ToolSet and StandardToolSet gathering some Browser building and SystemBrowser doing nothing more complex than deciding between Browser and PackagePaneBrowser. None of this has much in the way of helpful commentary. Oh and let’s not forget UIManager which seems to get tangled in it as well. I found places where a browser was referred to both via ToolSet and Browser. And whilst having pragmas to mark menu related methods is a neat idea it would be a whole lot better if only you could sensibly find the damned things with implementors-of etc.

I made a small pile of changes to clean up at least some of this. I’ve made the building more explicit and enabled 'ToolBuilder open: Browser/HierarchyBrowser/ClassListBrowser' etc. I managed to make the spawning-with-partial-text thing work in all the cases I can find. I think I broke something in MVC projects but right now I can’t even get into an mvc project to look - and given that I didn’t (knowingly) touch changesorters I’m not sure it’s my fault.

The changes range across several MC packages so I think it is better to share the changes file for an initial look-see. It’s on the swiki at http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2736

tim
--
It said, "Insert disk #3," but only two will fit!

Reply | Threaded
|

timrowledge
Kjell,
I apologise for my apparent denseness but I can’t work out what you’re asking in the context of my suggested changes to Browser building. If you could perhaps explain a bit more?

> On 24-10-2017, at 3:20 PM, Kjell Godo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> i have Methods which have case statements in them which switch off of the Method inputs which act like command line options. so there might be seven different options and seven different cases. do you think that these cases should be separated out into seperate Methods( equal selector prefixes ) one for each of the cases?
>
> i sometimes feel that if the cases are all similar then it is easier to see the similarity if you can just scroll text up and down.  so just use a case statement.  but it does get more messy upon first glances. but separating them out into seperate Methods is more to the standard.
>
> But in Dolphin i also have a Tree browser which allows traversing the seperate Window tree bullets keyboard only which can have the same effect as scrolling text so. because you can set up each Window seperately once and it will remember it. but with the SystemBrowser i have to scroll the text of each Method i come to to get to the code and by then i lose track. i suppose i could make a tree file which has these seven Methods in it and i could then get the same eye ball effect as scrolling text. i should try it. or i could get rid of the initial comments at the top of each Method which are according to a repeated template. yes i should probably do this. that way i would not have to scroll text as much and then the SystemBrowser might be good enough more.

tim
--
A bug in the code is worth two in the documentation.

bpi
Reply | Threaded
|

bpi
I like your changes. Looking through them I found functionality I did not know existed, e.g. the ClassListBrowser to browse arbitrary list of classes and the Multi-window browsers preference.

Thanks for doing some cleaning.

Bernhard

> Am 23.10.2017 um 00:54 schrieb tim Rowledge <[hidden email]>:
>
> I’ve added Tools-tpr.769 to the inbox, so as long ayou have an up to date image you ought have no problem loading the proposed Browser build changes to review them.
>
>
> tim
> --
> tim Rowledge; [hidden email]; http://www.rowledge.org/tim
> A computer program does what you tell it to do, not what you want it to do.

Reply | Threaded
|

timrowledge

> On 26-10-2017, at 4:56 AM, Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I like your changes. Looking through them I found functionality I did not know existed, e.g. the ClassListBrowser to browse arbitrary list of classes and the Multi-window browsers preference.

It’s amazing how many interesting things seem to get hidden over time.
>
> Thanks for doing some cleaning.

You’re welcome. Working on a less convoluted file-picker/saver dialogue now; to say that the current state is a little untidy would be a gross exaggeration.
StandardFileMenu - uses a weird menu in morphic and a hideous FileList derived window in MVC
FileChooser - not too awful looking but still FileList derived and not actually used
FileList2 class methods.

… all mixed up.

tim
--
The enema of my enemy is my friend. Or at least my wry chuckle.

Reply | Threaded
|

timrowledge
OK, having heard no complaints about the proposed changes to Browser assembly, I am moving it from inbox to trunk….

tim
--
Guests who kill talk show hosts--On the last Geraldo.